***The Mighty Bucks - Team 14***

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by ATbuckhunter, Aug 16, 2015.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We've got a sloppy and now frozen mess of slush and ice here, what a mess. Yuck...son of a ---- I hate winter.

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We've gotten 10" of snow in the last couple days. It's not bad though.

On a sad note, my chocolate lab, Jake, passed away last night. He was 10 years old but has been on prednisone for about 5 but vet didn't know what was wrong with him. He wasn't in pain those 5 years but would just get sick for a day or two every once in a while. He's in a better place now but it's still hard to deal with. It's amazing the bond that can be shared with a dog.

My bow season closes Thursday night. It started out as the best as far as sightings that I've ever had and as soon as slug season opened, I saw 1 deer (button buck) on stand in more than a dozen sits; by far the worst second half of the season I've ever had. Learned a lot more about my properties again this year that I will try to use to my advantage from here on out.

Sorry that I likely won't contribute any points this season.

3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Man that's rough, sorry to hear about your lab. I still have my Weim on prednisone and it's keeping her going for now and she's fairly comfortable I think. They (good dogs) are both one of the best things and the worst things in the world, best because they are so enjoyable and worst because they are so short lived.

Would have been nice to have contributed points this year, so many team members worked hard and did such a great job I also hate to be "that guy" that slacked off and didn't spend much time in the stand and connect. I kind of wish I hadn't entered the contest this year, work and life got in the way and my head just wasn't in the game. I did make it out some though and could have encountered a big buck at any time so part of it was just bad luck. Crops were in late here and totally changed the dynamic of where deer were and where my stands weren't. The food plots didn't compete with acres of standing beans.

4. ChrisSchwarz

ChrisSchwarz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your pup GreatWhite. That is a tough thing to go through. It is hard enough with the short time they are with us. I have a Weim and Chessie that I bird hunt often with for grouse and pheasants.

Not sure what I going to do when those two cross the bridge. Wife says no more on the pups but that is going to be hard on me.

Hang in there.

On the points...no hair off my ---. We did alright as a team and got to kind of know some others online. Good things.

5. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight at work was one of the toughest nights I have ever had in a long time! I find out that one of my fellow Sgts, as I am a Sgt, passed of a heart attack. I then in turn find out about a missing officer that was reporting for 11pm to 7am shift last night. Here is the article on him:

A Pontiac Corrections officer remains missing tonight after his car was found submerged in Gooseberry Creek. Dwight Fire Deputy Chief Justin Dyer said a vehicle that went off the roadway was found in the water at 3300 East 3100 North, which is one mile south of Route 17 on Campus Blacktop, shortly after 8 this morning.

No one was found in the vehicle once it was pulled out by several local agencies. Local authorities are saying the vehicle was swept into the creek after on the roadway. The officer, whose name is not being released, was due to report for duty around 11 pm last night and was not at home this morning after work.

Fire Crews conducted ground searches along the banks of the creek along with nearby fields and an air search was called in, but their search came up empty. Dyer said searches will resume at daylight on Wednesday and will only include first responders.

We are also still searching for one of our Assistant Wardens Lou Lowery who has been missing for just over a week after walking away from his home. He is 80 years old and has some medical issues. Both of them are still missing. So I ask of all of you to keep you loved ones loved and held tight. Pray for us here at PCC and the families involved. This is so hard for me to take in right now since I worked side by side with ALL of them.

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that news Dawg, I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how it turns out.

7. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that's not good. Thoughts and prayers to all affected and hopefully the two are found safely.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

8. ChrisSchwarz

ChrisSchwarz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is truly sad, hang in there.

9. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We found the missing officer and has went to heaven for his calling! Sad deal and has been very tough.

10. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about that dawg. Hope you all had a good New Years and hopefully we all have a good year this year!

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks, condolences to the family and friends. I was hoping that would turn out better.

12. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday and today we had to say good bye to two of my fellow staff Sgt Millsap and Officer Beaupre! Both of you will be missed and never forgotten! I love you both and enjoyed all my time with you guys! RIP my friends we will meet again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I might have to give up deer hunting for waterfowl since I am having better luck at that. Here was our hunt on 1-1-16! My second year hunting and can not believe that I have shot a speck and blue! With this being my second year I did not know that I have shot one of my best waterfowl bird prizes I am still learning my geese and ducks. So happy that I had the chance and what an amazing hunt it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    One heck of a blue and really nice bars on the speck! You should really try snow goose hunting!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

15. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We normally never get specks or snows in this area and I was shocked when I found them in a field and we gained permission to hunt them.

16. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like my deer season is over since my property is still under water! To bad duck season is over here. I would of shot a bunch of them. Been to warn and now that duck season is over the ducks have showed up. I can still hunt geese until Jan 31st unless I go to southern Illinois then dates are different.

17. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Central Illinois Shed #1

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  18. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice find! Where about in central IL?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

19. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Great shed! I have a wedding 6 hours from home this weekend but the weekend after that I'm going to start!

20. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Central Illinois Shed #1

image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016