Elk hunt preparation 9 mths out.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by wl704, Dec 23, 2015.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty seriously thinking about a fall elk hunt for 2016. I know getting this old body in shape, practicing with the bow and reading up on regs also key.

What are other key gear/additions I should be thinking about our planning to purchase?

Thanks

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you're in shape physically, can shoot your bow from some of the most bizarre positions and have the mental stamina to take whatever crazy things the elk and the mountains can throw at you..........

you'll be good to go.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would pick out a comfortable saddle and learn to ride, let a horse do the walking.:bow:

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Useful...any elaboration is appreciated.

I figure either you have or don't, the mental stamina...short of pushing myself to get my old body in shape, the mental game likely can't/won't change at will.

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Already know how to ride...a waste of some collegiate credit hours...but that's another story.

6. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am also planning on trying to go for my first time as well. I bought my preference point for Wyoming, and plan to try and do a DIY hunt with some friends with work.

Looking forward to seeing some real suggestions.

7. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Are you going on a guided or a DIY hunt?

If you are going on a guided hunt, do the things that I outlined earlier and let your guide/outfitter do his job and things will be great.

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    -Research, research, and more research. Spent last spring worrying bout obtaining all the gear necessary and not enough time making calls, etc. When I got to the trailhead there was hunters on dirt bikes running a huge chunk of what I was planning to hunt.

-Brings me to another suggestion, have backup plans. If you're not seeing/hearing anything then move.

-Start practicing the calls now. You can do without but it's always nice to have that skill in your back pocket if need be.

-Buy a pack and load it up. Time in the gym is great but nothing beats throwing on a pack and hiking some inclines. I also bought one of those high elevation masks which makes the workout 10 times harder.

-Go to high population area. Nothing worse than going on your first hunt and seeing little activity. Go to a place with quality, not quantity. Eventually you can build up your skills and take on those other areas.

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you going?

10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tbd...as a first go I'm trying to keep expectations low...thought about just shadowing someone to learn what to do/not to do but realized getting older isn't getting any easier.

I knew there are others also considering elk hunts so I thought I'd chum the water...

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Undecided but I also want to motivate myself, so I'll assume it will be DIY. If I go guided, an expectation reset will be much easier.

12. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    The saddest thing that I ever saw when I was guiding was when hunters worked hard for their entire lives and kept putting away a little money every month so that as soon as they retired/had enough money saved/could afford to take the time off, they could go on their dream hunt. Then when they finally got there, they discovered that they were to out of shape/too old to go where the elk go.

I almost begged one super nice guy to take a day off, I'd carry his rifle and we'd try again in a couple of days but he said that he knew that he just couldn't do it and could I please get him back to town.

So the first thing on my list of what to do is to get in shape.
    The extras like calls, different scents and camos are all "nice" things that make good campfire discussions.

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe this is the year some guys on this forum have a big camp in Colorado. Should keep an eye out for that.

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Having somewhat recently been there, done that...

First and foremost- do you have a quad or UTV? If you do, find an area that allows them; it seriously will make all the difference in the world (a 2dr Jeep would be almost as good.)

Second, yeah get in shape. I was in OK shape when I went...my partner not so much. I killed an elk. He did not.

If you can't get comfortable taking at least a 50yd shot I would not go. It can be done closer (got mine about 25) but why automatically decrease your chances dramatically before you even set foot on the mountain?

Some general things...mountain house food packs will be your best friend. Buy them.
    You can't eat them dry so get a jet boiler.
    When I went in Sept 14, it never got colder than 45-50 at night and usually went 60-75 during the day. But sometimes it snows at altitude that early. Pack accordingly.

There's a lot of details you left out that would be useful info to help you more...will you be alone? Guide status? That kind of stuff...

15. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get in shape physically and mentally for the hunt if it is diy and public. Many others to compete with. Expect to change your plans and have back up plans as said before.

Have a plan to get elk out ahead of time. Are you packing it out on own? Friends to help. Guide service to help pack out. Reception in area of you wanted to call a guide. Answer these questions and it will narrow down where you can hunt in regards to how far from a trail or road.

Also don't over call. If public.....less calling or no calling is better. Listen for elk bugling and get on the move towards it with wind in favor. Public land elk have been called at a lot. If you do call make sure you understand elk calling. Plenty of stuff online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on how you plan to hunt.

Camper/tent/motel?

Base camp/spike camp?

Horses/mules/atv/on foot?

Good boots, good pack, being in good shape, GPS, versatile clothing. Emergency preparedness

Pack frame

Knowledge of how to clean an elk. Learn to debone so make lighter pack out

A little more specifics and would be able to help a lot more.

17. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second what scarps23 said. An elk is a big animal. If you kill one the work is just beginnig from field dressing to getting the meat out. It pays to know a local butcher who can turn your animal into little white packages as well.

18. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    I've butchered three elk myself now. Weather is the biggest issue if you're far from home. Our archery season had highs in upper 80s this year. It's hard for me to get excited about trying to handle an elk in weather like that. But if you have shade, a sharp knife and a strong back and legs... it's doable.
    Just make sure you have a plan and the equipment to get it done.

Late season elk is more my style.
    [​IMG]

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So a pen knife, like you mentioned you used before on a deer is not recommended... :)

Shade and weather - I'll take what I can get.

The legs and back are coming along - went from a slipped disc around Christmas to having lost 10# already. Did nearly 6 miles last night with a 30# pack...good start for 3 weeks, but a long way to go...have Havalon, will travel.

BTW - congrats. Looks like y'all are had a good year this year.

20. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    The first elk I ever shot was during the October cow season. It's a fairly short season and being totally new to the area and elk... I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get an elk. On the last 15 minutes of the last day I shot a big cow. (300 win mag ) She rolled down the steep hill and into some downed trees. When I got to her, I was amazed at her size. Elk are huge compared to deer. Lol

Anyhow, it's getting dark and I'm rooting around in my pack only to discover I left my flashlight in the truck. All I have for light is my cell phone and a cylume glow stick.

Picture me desperately trying to untangle a 450lb animal out the logs... not happening... Next picture me trying skin a contorted elk while simultaneously trying to hold up legs and holding a dim glowstick in my mouth. Didn't make much headway there either.

Finally, I realize I'm going to need help. So I partially gut her (gravity and enormous innards make it only somewhat successful), and I hang my glowstick over the carcass along with my coat and some blaze orange. This was an effort to keep bears/yotes away and also so I could find it again. (Thick, steep stuff). I hike back towards the truck where there's cell signal and a flashlight.

A mile later, all uphill, in the dark.... I realize I'm done for the evening.

It was in the teens so leaving the elk until the next morning wasn't an issue. We went back in the saylight and I deboned the elk and my husband packed it out.

Lessons learned.

1) You may actually get an elk.

2) Carry a freaking flashlight. Actually, carry two.

3) Use a rope to tie off legs to trees if you're alone. Getting hoofed in the face by the elk while you're doing knife work is not cool.

4) Glowsticks are pretty handy but not a substitute for flashlights.

5) I am not as tough as I'd like to think I am

6) One mile, uphill, carrying a load of meat.... is a long, long ways.

7) Big, strong husbands are awesome. :)

At least I did have a decent knife on me. :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016