Just found out Deer Shot - Depressed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by remmett70, Dec 16, 2015.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You type of people going my gears. How else would you want this buck to go? Yes it's sad you lost your target buck. Boo hoo it was with a crossbow and a bait pile. Some people do not have the time to put in the work you people do. And by the way my cousin and uncle both put down Giants over a corn pile. One scored 162". So your info is wrong about spikes and forks as both deer were coming in regularly. JS I am tired of people hating on crossbows and bait. And let me ask you this what is this bad manner.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was asked to pull off a buck I was hunting a couple years ago so the landowner could have a shot at him, I let him walk one evening at 10 yards. Owner never hunted and first morning of gun season a neighbor shot the buck with a rifle (184"). I was disappointed and part of me was angry over the situation but not the neighbor or rifle season. Since then I have become good friends with the neighbor and his family and we share management among our properties. I shared all my trail cam pics of the buck and he let me use the bucks rack to have a replica full shoulder mount made (which turned out friggin spectacular).

Things often have a way of working out for the best.

3. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The deer was killed by a crossbow? Why do you think the deer deserved "a better way to go"?

4. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I decided many years ago to not have a "hit list" or name a buck because with the amount of land I actually have to hunt I may see him once and never again. It has happened several times. I just take the "opprotunist" approach. The deer on the 7k acres I hunt do what they want and rarely bed in the same place. Makes it hard to pattern them with the amount of bedding they have to choose from.

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yep^^.

i quit getting upset when a target buck gets killed years ago. as long as it was killed legally, i'll help someone drag it out.
    odds are GREAT you most likely would not have killed him anyway.
    (and he's not that big of a buck)

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't offended at all.
    I typed that on my phone while playing with the kiddos and that is where I stopped. If you'd read my post about MO allowing crossbows in our archery season next year you would see where I stand on them.
    I agree we are all in this together.
    I'm all about "hunting". NOT killing. I eat tag soup every year and don't mind it at all. I prepare/hunt all year. Whether it is food plots, trail cameras, cutting trees for cover, planting bedding areas or whatever it is. I don't like poachers, road hunters or any other unethical hunters. I read his article as a couple guys setting in the shed doing anything else other than hunting waiting on something to kill. They used a crossbow so no one would hear the gun shot.
    I'm all about people using crossbows that can't use traditional archery or compound bows. I'm fortunate to be healthy enough to use either. I chose a compound bow.
    I know my comments left lots of room for opinions. I'm fairly sure people that see my comments on here know where I stand on things. If not, and it matters much ask, I'll be honest. I'm fine with opinions.
    I know that it isn't legal to shoot from the road in a vehicle in Missouri but I don't believe it is illegal to shoot from a vehicle parked in a field with the heat running either. But it is unethical.
    I just have had more unfavorable experiences with people hunting with at crossbow than favorable ones.
    I'm sorry about your Dad's shoulder injury and I hope your son gets along better with his Muscular Dystrophy.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

7. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree with you 100%. If crossbows are legal, then suck it up and hunt the way you want.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of the more ridiculous posts that I've read.

9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Disagree, that is your choice.
    Read my next post before you completely blow up. You might see where I was coming from.

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No matter what our "values" are, there are always 'grey areas'. There's always an exception to everything.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I may not have conveyed it the best. Its not that he shot this buck, I would have the same feeling had he shot any deer in this manner. Its not that he shot it with a crossbow, I would feel the same if he used a rifle, muzzleloader, compound or recurve. Its not that he shot it on bait. He could have used his crossbow, from my stand, over the mineral block I placed and shot this same buck and I would be happy for him. Its baiting deer into the yard to shoot them I find distasteful. Since it is legal, I find it one step short of poaching.

As I said, I have another area I can hunt so I will be taking my stand down and picking up my cameras so I can set them up in this other area to enjoy the rest of the season.

12. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I share your sentiments about baiting. Hope it stays illegal in Virginia.

13. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    heck we can't even use tinks 69 anymore, they better not allow baiting and keep the ban on the pee!!!

14. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think the ban on pee is important at this time until CDW is better understood, I wish all states would but a temporary ban on deer waste products at this point.

15. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, and I was cracking a joke, I don't use it to often to begin with.

16. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    never had deer pee work for me so I quit using it.

I am all for crossguns for hunters with legitimate handicaps. as long as they possess a handicap permit. that keeps them in the woods. but when a hunter admits it is just easier to use a crossgun so they give up the vertical bow that's where I draw the line. and I can't say we are all in it together at that point. in an alternate weapons season it wouldn't bother me, but never in archery season. hate me if you must but that's my opinion on the deal.

17. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO this time next year the baiting/feeding of Whitetail deer will be illegal in Wisconsin. With the recent CWD outbreaks in High fence operations across the state, a statewide ban will be pushed by the DNR this coming summer.

18. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry man. Good things come to those that wait.

19. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt it, they'll do what they're currently doing, banning baiting in any county with a confirmed case or any county within 10 miles of a confirmed case. More will have bait banned but it won't be statewide.

20. Diesel77

Diesel77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can understand you being bummed, I'm bummed for you, who wouldn't, but you probably shouldn't be mad at the person that legally killed that buck.

This will put Xbows in perspective for you. Go hunt your next property with NO trail cameras and a crossbow for a whole season, see if you feel after the season how much it helped you kill big bucks. Decide if you'd rather continue hunting with no cameras and an Xbow which you obviously feel gives hunters a big advantage, or use a compound and trail cameras. I think trail cameras give all of us a much bigger advantage for killing big bucks than any crossbow, bait or no bait. I love my trail cameras, without them it would make finding and targeting big bucks much more difficult in areas I cant glass, or choose not to disturb, nocturnal bucks we rarely see, seeing if a buck we are after is still alive or if they made it through the seasons, etc.