Wild hog problem

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin21, Dec 13, 2015.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pray they never make it here.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If they did the wolves would take of them.

3. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    No wolves by me either. They'd all stop right here before making to wolf country or bring the wolves down. Either way I hope neither happen.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Advantage with hogs would be they are not on the protected list and you can eat a hog.

5. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My brother just went on a hog hunt. The guides wouldn't even touch the dead hogs. Said they had some kind of disease transmissible to humans. I had never heard of it since feral hogs isn't an issue here....yet. I see plenty of other people eat them though.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't dig on swine much, ham sucks. Bacon and pork chops is all I would want.

7. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Farm and have cattle. I don't want either!

8. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy's brother shot one here in Maryland back in October with his bow. He called DNR and there's very few (<20) that have ever been spotted or killed here. There's bound to be more running around just not that much of a problem yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Little Rock and would love to hunt hogs. I have not for the same reason. Paying money to kill what is considered a nuisance animal is not appealing.

10. navysubnuke

navysubnuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They carry two different types of pathogens that can be transmitted to humans. Its higher in the dominant boar because they tend to multiple sounders. If you do kill one, take the proper precautions. Wear gloves when handling them or their uncooked meat. Cooking them at the right temperature kills the pathogens. Here in NW Louisiana, you can take a sample of the blood to LSU Shreveport and they will test it for you. That may be the case at any State University that are running studies on that kind of stuff.

11. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't mind you guys killing them at all, just a long trip for not a 100% chance of killing them. I'm gonna get a couple traps I guess and start a feeding spot but a big blind and try killing them that away.

12. navysubnuke

navysubnuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Setting snares is way cheaper and, in my opinion, more effective than traps. Just takes a little ground work. But if you go with starting a feeding spot, make sure its an area you don't mind getting tore up. When I hunt them this way, I always take out the lead sow first, followed by the sow in the back of the sounder. Those two are usually the matriarchs of the group. Kill both of them and the rest will act confused as if they don't know what to do, ultimately giving you time to kill another. Just my .02

13. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I watched a video on the snare man that looks so painful, I know the are a pest and all but I'm not sure I got the To watch or walk up on that. Lol I'll stick to hunting them

14. navysubnuke

navysubnuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The paper mill that I work at is overrun with feral pigs, just like everywhere else around here. I was talking with one of the environmental guys, that also happens to be the president of the mills bow hunting club, and he said they estimate about $2 million per year in property damage at this mill alone. I guess it all depends on how they're affecting you deer population where you are or how much property damaging they're causing. We have a saying down here. There are two types of properties in the South, those with a feral pig problem and those that are going to have a feral pig problem.

15. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ya they don't do any damage YET and I always run one corn feeder once they found it that's when they all started showing up, in the past two weeks I have replaced it with the gravity style so they can't just spend hrs eating it off the ground.

16. HemiRam

HemiRam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'd love to go shoot some of them porkers with my bow when there is nothing going on up here we don't have them here in VT either wouldn't bother me if we did I'd love to hunt year around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

17. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too, find it ridiculous that there are outfitters who charge you to hunt hogs on their property. They are getting paid to have someone help them with their vermin problem! Only in America.

18. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Once you have em. There is no end to them. The only way to keep from feeding them is to put up some strong stock panels (horse panels are the best) around your feeder that the deer can clear but stop hogs. If there is a weak point they will test it and find it. If you trap. Do it smart. If they escape once you may never get another chance. Seriously. You have to snag the whole sounder. The best style of Trap is one with a one way door. You can buy one or build one out of stock panels. But again it has to be strong. Don't skimp any corners. If you think its strong enough think again. I agree snaring is a great option if its legal in your area. To the people that say they want them so they can hunt year round. You'll get tired of it, then irritated that the number of other game animals has decreased.
    I don't wish them on anybody. A few years back the hog population shrank back home due to FL F&W releasing about 200 Panthers. But it didn't take them long to figure out to be wary of cats and they're rebounding. Side note they get me more shook up than deer, and they're great eating. Use the same precautions with cleaning as deer, no big deal.

19. Borgy76

Borgy76 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is night hunting possible with a red light?

20. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You have to check your state laws, But most any where it is for hogs. Since they're a destructive pest