G5 striker Vs. Slicktrick

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JesseHunts, Dec 8, 2015.

1. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello again, I currently shoot the Slicktrick broad head and am thinking of switching to G5 strikers next season any opinions ?

2. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Both great heads. The strikers don't tune quite as easily as the slicks. But still a great head. The only reason I could ever see myself switching from slicks was if I was going elk hunting. I would consider a single bevel head at that point just because I shoot a lightish poundage but I'm still not sure I would make the switch. As far as replaceable blade fixed heads go I'm not convinced anything is better than a slick trick.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  3. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Slicks tune so well I don't see why you would want to switch.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did an extensive fixed blade broad head review last year which you can find by searching my threads if you really want a detailed review.

For deer, they are both great heads and will absolutely kill deer like crazy... but I don't see any advantage in switching from Slicks to the Strikers, unless you really want 3 blades vs. 4 and to pay more for less steel. They both shoot great and are sharp as heck.

I like both heads a lot but I can tell you from personal experience that the G5 striker is not a head I will use for elk anymore. I shot a cow elk last year at 25 yards on a very slight quartering towards angle. It hit right behind her shoulder for a perfect heart shot but then because of hitting a rib, a blade bent and the arrow sheared sharply towards her off side hip. The arrow did not exit and was buried in her from just behind her shoulder to hip. She didn't make it more than 100yards straight down the mountain before she piled up but there was very little blood. Now yes, some of the shear was due to the angle of impact, but she was nearly perfectly broadside. My point is, the blade should not have bent; rather it should have sliced right through a rib at that range with the amount of kinetic energy I'm punching.

Don't get me wrong, they're a very nice fixed blade three blade head, they are razor sharp, and also for me they are as easy to tune as the slick tricks (which I also love) but also don't recommend for elk due to the four blades which really affects penetration.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  5. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With as easy as Tricks tune and the size of hole they cut, not to mention, blood trails Stevie Wonder could follow, this broadhead alone should make all expandables obsolete.

6. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And that's coming from a guy whose screen name is Montec.

7. northwestmulie

northwestmulie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to slick tricks a few years ago and have never looked back

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The first buck i shot with slick trick went 10 yds. Quartering away, blew thru both lungs and broke opposite shoulder. Couldnt get up the creek bank and it looked like a red waterfall pumping out. My buddy that came to help me drag saw the damage and the entry/exit. We were both in awe. Needless to say i still shoot trick mags and so now does my buddy!

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for tricks. Like everybody said either way you go will be fine. slick tricks I think just have a better price point.

10. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why are you considering a change?

I've changed broadheads twice in my life, I originally started with Muzzy and I thought they were okay. I bought into the Rage hype and changed to them because I didn't like the bloodtrails I was getting with the Muzzys. I used them for a few years with great success until I made a bad shot on the biggest buck I ever had a chance to take (pulled my shot and hit the shoulder blade). Although it wasn't the broadheads fault, I was mine, I decided o switch back to fixed blades (Slick Tricks) to give myself a chance if screw up again and I have been very happy. The point I'm trying to make here is, why are you considering a change? Is there something that happened to make you lose confidence in them? Or is it just "something new and shiny" syndrome (lord knows that I have to fight that as well).

11. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good one. Had this name for a long time and shot the broadhead as well. Figured it was easier to change the broadhead as opposed to the name. The Montec has a lot going for it but like many have said, the thick blades must be the reason they have mediocre blood trails, even on perfect hits. If maybe they made a 4 blade with a hollow ground edge to come even close to the performance of the Tricks, then I might switch back. BTW, I am a wiz at sharpening and all my Montecs would shave.....and still produce poor blood trails.