Food plot discs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by marcuswagner12, Dec 5, 2015.

1. marcuswagner12

marcuswagner12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys. Looking for some input on those of you who have used a 3pt or atv disc. I am working on a few different designs at the current moment.. My Ideal 3 point disc is something that works the soil up well, and leaves a firm seed bed. any input from the discs you have used or ideas you have thought up would be appreciated.. thank you!

Wagner implements

Attached Files:

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really like the cultipacker you have in the third picture........
    The 3 point disc we use is great. Wish there was a way to attach a cultipacker to the back of the disc to save time and extra trips.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the size of the plot and the pulling source.

I use a 6' set of discs to do most of my plots that are around tree stumps and rocks in small wooded plot areas or a set of cultivators to stir the soil up. These go behind a 1952 8N Ford. When I have a large area to till, I break out the 16' discs and a 100 hp tractor. Which ever unit I use, I follow it with a home made culti-packer. Everything seems to grow quicker and better in compacted soil.

4. marcuswagner12

marcuswagner12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am definitely gonna have an option to where the cultipacker can be added to the back of the disc.. something very simple and easy to add on.. I want to be able to disc and cultipack in the same pass. you want a firm seed bed to hold the moisture and to get a better seed to soil contact. Most of us are not out to have picture perfect food plots but lets face it, we want good yields and we feel better about ourselves looking at a plush field. The more passes you make means more compaction in the soil.. the more compaction in the soil the harder on the plant, Less water draining to the roots, harder for the roots to grow, less oxygen in the soil. which all leads to an unhealthy plant/Poor yields. The Germans have it figured out in the bigger scale items.. We work all of our ground with a tillage piece called an amazone catros.. it works the soil up great and firms the seed bed. during the fall we actually broadcast our winter cover crops and work them in with the catros.. we set the depth just deep enough to throw some dirt around to cover the seed. We have found we get a better stand doing that than drilling it in.. Mind you we do this to close to a 1000 acres a fall..

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wish you were a lot closer. I'd like to look at the different equipment you have.

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice little Kinze.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

7. marcuswagner12

marcuswagner12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thank you guys. once I get fully established I will be at a few different shows. I'm working on getting a website up and running.. I do ship FYI :)