I shot the 2016 Mathews Halon and HTX today.

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by creed1, Nov 16, 2015.

1. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was soo stoked about the release of these 2 bows all day it was a long day at work. I was actually more excited to shoot the HTX than the Halon and I was extremely dissapointed by it. The HTR was a nicer shooting bow. It was more quiet, dead in the hand and stable at full draw. Then I picked up the Halon (6 inch BH) my first thought it's heavy.... As I started into the draw cycle and came back to full draw I could feel the smile on my face growing, it has a very similar draw to the chill r but is even more smooth. It doesn't stack and drops into the super soild back wall effortlessly and has a very generous valley! My only complaint is weight but when you feel how dead in the hand it is and how quiet it is you'll get over it, I did! I also like camo bows but I do not like mathews new camo pattern at all and it's not offered in traditional lost camo, so I'll be going black or stone but once again Matt McPherson has found a way to make reach into my wallet and throw money at him!!!

2. bowcrazy30

bowcrazy30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning on shooting the Halon 5 & Halon 6. Ill probably end up going with the Halon 5. I love my HTR, and my Monster MR7

3. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting the 7, I'm way ok with losing a few fps for more forgiveness and accuracy, to each there own though!

4. TheChad

TheChad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot it today as well and like yourself, very first thought was man this thing is heavy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jeeper

Jeeper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Both the Halon and the HTX look like great bows. I love the 30" ATA. As a lefty, however, I seldom, if ever, get to try a bow before I purchase it. Dealers here just do not stock left-handed bows. So, I rely on the reviews of other bowhunters. In the last few days guys on the Mathews forum have stated that the Halon has a bit of a stiff draw and the HTX has a very silky draw. Nevertheless, I'm currently hunting with a Heli-m and a Z2, both of which are great shooters for me. So......as much as I would love to purchase another bow (probably the HTX), I don't think my wallet can handle it.

6. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain about the lefty thing. I'm on my 4th bow this year and think I've found a winner, finally.

7. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a lefty too, thank God I'm right eye dominant!

8. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How much you think I could sell my HTR 50/60 next spring for? Or what would be a reasonable asking price. Bare bow only.
    How much do you think I should expect for a trade in to one of the new models?

9. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would expect you would take a pretty good hit by trading it in but I don't know how bad. As for getting an idea on how much to sell it for go on ebay and see what others are asking.

10. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Just checked ebay and to my surprise most are asking 700-1000 still and getting lots of bids. Next spring when I sell i'll prolly put 750 on it and take the first 700.

11. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    shot the halon the other day and have mine on order

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need to find a shop that has a Halon. I want to shoot it. I commented on the weight when it was released but my RPM360 was heavy and I still insist it was on of the best shooting bows I have owned to date in over 30 years of archery.

13. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    How much of a difference is short brace height like the 5 or 6 these days. I don't know and have never shot a bow with a 5" brace before. Does it give you more wrist slap. Some articles I read that back in the day it was more of a concern but not so much anymore. is that true? Is a shorter brace height harder to draw in stand versus a longer brace height?

I was thinking the Halon 6 would be right up my alley but if someone can convice me the 5 is good then maybe i'll check that out. Just not really sure what the downfalls are

14. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the HTR is one of the few bows that has held its value. The best I've been able to sell a bow on ebay this year (bow was 4 months old) was 70% value of new, bare bow.

15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    5" brace?? wow...

16. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IBO 353...double wow.

17. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been a Hoyt guy for most of my life except for a three year period that I shot a High Country. I am currently shooting a Vector 32 and I absolutely love that bow. I must say though that this year (based on only looks as I have not shot one) the Halon has made me at least think about going to try them out. That's saying a lot for me.

18. lubiniecki60

lubiniecki60 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My problem to being lefty

19. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The owner of the bow shop I go to has a Halon all set up for him. His draw is 28" and he says his speed is faster than advertised.

20. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the Halon 6 & the Hoyt Defiant 30 yesterday.
    The Mathews had just about everything on the Hoyt beat...better draw cycle, better grip, super quiet and dead.
    The only thing I am going to have a hard time getting over is that the Halon is super top heavy...the 4.5# bare bow weight didn't bother me but it feels like its all in the top half of the riser. Didn't effect hold at full draw, but just odd that it was that noticeable. I was really hoping for an HTR riser but with Chill cams on it...this is close, but I would have to put a back bar stabilizer on it I think to counter balance that top weight.