Release choices, where do you stand

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Edeupree, Nov 2, 2015.

?

Thumb or wrist: which do you prefer

1. Wrist

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. Thumb

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. Edeupree

Edeupree Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm looking at getting a new release and have been interested in the thumb releases for a while. Keep in mind I've never shot a thumb release.

So with that in mind vote above on which you prefer. If you have a particular brand or type of one style or another let me know I'd lover to hear some pro's and cons from real world use

2. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting a Scott's Little Bitty Goose for the past 10 years...I guess you could say I'm a fan. I've been curious about thumb releases for a while but I'm a firm believer of, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

3. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Switched to a thumb release this year. Been using the Hot Shot Vapor, been very pleased with it.

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a wrist release for hunting and a thumb release for target. Trufire hardcore max hook release for hunting and carter Chocolate Addiction three-finger for target.

Wrist strap just seems more readily available when a deer walks up un-announced.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still use a finger tab :fro:

6. Edeupree

Edeupree Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea but is it one of those awesome vinyl faux leather ones those are boss. LOL

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Me too when I use my trad bows.

Otherwise, I prefer wrist strap trigger releases for hunting. I have used hand held thumb releases but I don't like them much.

8. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thumb release all the way.... used to have a wrist release but didn't like the thing hanging from my wrist, and getting hung up on my pockets when I needed something in them... just hook the release on the d-loop and forget it.. out of the way, but right there when ya need to shoot, and ya don't have to take your eyes off the deer to grab it and come to full draw... on top of that my groups got tighter with the thumb release cause I didn't slap the trigger...

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately not, I use one of the newer deer/bear fur and leather release with the rubber piece that goes between the pointer and middle finger. I might use one of those old ones with a traditional bow though. I haven't shot with a traditional in a while, but I have no interest in making my bow hunting even more challenging right now because I'm on a 3 year slump!

10. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Winn Archery. They produce a glove type release that can't be beat in my book. I started shooting with a release in '89 and I've only had to buy two in that time span. Very well made quality product that fits comfortably and works flawlessly.

11. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    tried a thumb release, didn't like it. I settled on a Scott Rhino. really like it.

12. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I suppose everyone like the security of a wrist-strap style release for hunting purposes. I switched to a thumb actuated release about 4 years ago.... and now use it for hunting as well.

Check out the Stanislawski Just X. They are a bit more expensive than others, but well worth it. The Just X has zero travel, meaning the trigger itself doesn't move. If your trigger moves as you pull, your hand is flexing and moving, which could cause anchor issues. Another cool feature of the Stan Just X is the trainer lock. The release has a removable pin (which is stored in the thumb barrel) that can be screwed into the jaw of the release. This allows you to draw the bow and fire the release without it going off. It's simulates "dry fire" or "blind bale" drills. I've attached a link. Whatever you decide, do your research. Releases are EXPENSIVE, so pick one that works best for you. Often times, trade shows and sportsman shows will let you try one.

https://www.ishootastan.com/stan-release-aids/justx/