Shops Fault or Mine?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by cjkelner77, Dec 1, 2015.

1. cjkelner77

cjkelner77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ok guys bear with me through the story here ill keep this as brief as possible but i'd love some opinions. heres the store. Ive had my bowtech assassin for a little over 5 years. Preseason this year my upper limb started slopping. certainly could have been my fault in one way or another. i took it back to the same shop and they replaced the limbs quick and under warranty which was great. (Note this shop claims to shoot and tune everytime they call a bow good to go)anyway first shot with the new and improved limbs and my string popped. i guess that couldve been me as well but I doubt it since the string was maybe a year old. maybe 200 fires total. so i paid the same shop about 150 for new string and cables. they tuned. i brought it home. tenth draw cycle and i visibly watched the string roll off the cam and the cam was way screwed up. so they just replaced that cam and intend to charge me. the catch however is when they explained what was happening i was told the limbs were upside down (the limbs that were installed at the first shop visit in this story). they then proceeded to attempt to blame me for a single piece sound dampening tape that i had directly on the draw stop to stop it from the metal to metal sounds at the full draw. i mean that doesnt make sense to me. im no bow expert and i know most people who walk into a shop and say idk it just happened are full of crap. but i do like to think i know well enough about what im doing to determine that after 20 years of shooting my form changed so crazily that im breaking bows. just looking for your guys opinions and how you would deal with it. id like a stronger leg to stand when im voicing my issues there tommorow. Thanks!!!
    -Chris

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure I fully understand where you put the tape. But it sounds like a twisted limb or possibly excessive cam lean to me. The Assassin doesn't have yokes so if it is lean, it would have to an axle or spacer issue. I had an Assassin and never had any issues with it. That bow came out in 2011 so I think you are off on how long you have had it.

3. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im not a Bowtech guy, but I would assume if the limbs were installed incorrectly it could cause extreme cam lean.... causing the string to roll off the cam and POW. That being said, if that same shop told you the limbs were on wrong, I would politely point out THEY installed the limbs. Whether tuning a bow or routine maintenance, the shop should have installed the limbs correctly, and should not be charging the customer for their mistake.

4. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    BTW, I don't fully understand how a shop can claim to tune a bow for you and say it's good to go. The bow is tuned to the person shooting it, as everyone grips, anchors and shoots a bow differently. I wound up getting a press and made a draw board to work on my own bows... something to think about.

5. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the first shot after the shop fixed it, it derails on you.. They fix it and then 10 shots later it does the same. They then tell you that the limbs are on wrong, but the blame is pointed at a piece of sound dampening material that you put on.. Are they serious!?

6. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I probably would have gotten very angry and never went back to that shop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tell them that they installed the limbs and its their fault and then leave and find a different pro shop.

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Please PM me if I can be of any help on this, happy to provide my contact info there.

One thing to think about.......the limbs for the Assassin are identical top and bottom. The limb deflections are the same, etc. The only difference is the limb decals. So there isn't a technical problem with how the shop set this up, purely aesthetic.

Was the bow damaged in some way? What do you mean by the limb was "slopping"? It's pretty unusual that both a cam and string would be damaged at the same time, usually that happens from a dry fire or a drop of the treestand. Did any of this happen?

Feel free to send me a PM if I can be of further help.

9. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My shop says the same thing. Even paid to have the rest setup even with the arrow. 30 bucks to do this. It hasn't shot the same as it has the past few yrs. Looked at it hunting one day you could tell the arrow was crooked on the rest.wasn't till I started reading on forums that a bow bshould be setup with me there.

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well if I were you I would have took the bow and left without saying a word if they're trying to blame it on a tiny piece of tape. That's just ridiculous!