Team 4 - HONOVI HUNTERS Official Thread

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Jul 6, 2015.

1. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well went out to the public yesterday morning and all I had was fawns come in. Seen a lot of tracks in the snow over by my creek stand which is a plus. Put some food down and a camera over in that area to try and see if I cant figure out what is around there. Was planning on hunting the public Thursday and Friday but not sure what is going to happen with them calling for rain. Saturday morning I will be heading down to a different area in Ohio and be hunting there Saturday evening and Sunday with a bow then Monday and Tuesday with the Muzzleloader. Food and cameras is going to be my thing for a little bit before I can locate a good buck and try to put a plan together for him. Hunted a different property yesterday evening and also had a ton of tracks but again only seen a fawn. After I get back from Ohio I will then be taking a doe when I have the chance.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm headed back down south on Friday. With any luck I'll sneak out of work early and be at the lease in time for the last hour of light or so. Going to hunt all day Saturday, and Sunday morning too. After my Sunday morning sit, I'm going to walk the entire property again one last time looking for Steve. I figured if he is in there and I missed him, the yotes will have him drawn out everywhere and he might be easier to find now.

I'll be shooting the first doe I get a crack at this weekend, so hopefully I have some points to put on the board soon!

3. Mo Bow Hunter

Mo Bow Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys rifle is finally over here I will be back at it starting Saturday. I have been very picky first part of season and didn't want to mess with does until late. I'll be back at it starting sat and does are fair game now. Unfortunately 3 of my hit listers didn't make it through rifle. One of them I shot last Saturday. I took my son out with me he is 8 and we seen several deer that night and luckily I was able to show him that patients pays off. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448589261.839556.jpg

Not doubt I will fill 2 archery tags before the season is over. Good luck guys and hopefully I can put some points up this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff guys...with gun closing this weekend I may actually hit the woods in about a week or two depending how bad the properties are all screwed up from gun that I lose to gun hunters. We shall see. Get out there and loose some arrows fellas!

5. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, he's still alive.....at least he was 6 hours after the shot. He's eating beans in a plot in this pic sequence so I've gotta think he's ok. I'll check the other cams tomorrow, I've got another 14 cams or so out there so if he's still alive I should know.

Going to to give it hell the next few days.

[​IMG]

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Dude he looks like he lived....eating casual wouldn't really be the plan if hurt bad. Get it done son!!!

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Matt.

8. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey fellas, sorry I haven't checked in recently. I've been getting out when I can but haven't had any luck. Muzzleloader opened on the 7th here and today is the last day of that. As y'all know things change drastically when the guns start walking the woods. Unfortunately I, since my vacation, have been and will continue to be limited to hunting only Sundays. My girlfriends work schedule dictates that as I have the kid with me. Shotgun season opens here on Dec 5th and runs until the 20th so I'll have the gun out with me during that time. I recently just put a scope on my slug gun so I'm pretty excited about hunting with that. Going to sight it in today. I've been doing a lot of crossbow hunting from the ground and scouting new areas lately. I found a couple new public land spots that look promising sign wise. I'm still plugging away at it.

Matt- That's awesome that you have him on cam alive bro. Hopefully his pic pops up on others aswell.

Good luck out there fellas and stay safe!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

9. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  10. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My moms husband and best friend shot these two yesterday and ill be there next Friday. They said there is still a big boy running around there so maybe just maybe....

11. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys - No good news. Got those pics of Steve 6 hours after the shot and nothing since. I was getting pretty consistent pics of him before so I'm back to thinking he's dead. Franki and I walked the whole property again, and absolutely nothing.........:cry:

I'm going to stay out of the place now until it gets really cold. We have tons of food and guns going off on all sides of the property so I'm hopeful it pulls in a few new deer for late season. I'll be back at it the weekend after Christmas, and then plan on taking a few days off first week in January too. In the meantime I'll be putting in a couple of hunts at the place back home to try and shoot a couple of does.

Good luck to those of you still out there!

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Calling it now...a mature buck is gonna be pinned in at the place near home and be too much to not shoot :evilgrin:

Sounds like that other place is gonna be GOLD late season...some awesome hunting chances on mature bucks during that time of the year.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Calling it now by 6pm Saturday someone on this team will have blood on their hands (deer blood...).

14. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    quick update with things. Hunted Thursday at the public and watched 5 does all evening feeding in the distance. Friday we had a rain pretty much all day so Figured it would be a good time to put bait and cameras out to see if I cant locate a buck to put a game plan together. Left Friday morning for Ohio to hunt down in Athens on a buddy's lease. When we got down there pulled a camera on a scrape and had 3 shooters during daylight. Hunted that spot until Monday morning and only deer I seen was a 2.5 year old 7pt. Monday gun season came in down there. When walking back to the truck I had a guy on a four wheeler spook 3 does to me. got back to the truck took my back pack off and heard a branch break, look over and I see a tail flicker and tines above the grass. Got down and moved away from the truck and had another buck that was wide but all his tines broken off see me and cut off. Mean while the other buck was sitting there with two does. Ended up being about 120 8pt, not really what I was looking to shoot and not how I wanted it to happen. Seen a spike that evening then headed home due to them calling for rain Tuesday. Checked cards yesterday and only thing on camera was does and 2 spikes out of three cameras. One I forgot to turn off of setup:bash:. Ill probably run one for set of bait at the cameras and see if a buck wont show up. Just a matter of time and I will pull the trigger on a doe.

15. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Now I know Mo bow is from Missouri but don't we have someone else from there also?
    For a pretty long time Missouri has really had my attention on putting some roots down. Now with that said time is coming up pretty soon where I am wanting to pick up a place of my own. Just been poking around looking on land watch at few places to try and get a idea on things. I've noticed land in the southern area seems to be going cheaper.
    For you guys from there or anyone else that has a idea give me some opinions on the north half vs the southern half.
    How's hunting between the two ?
    soil and land better in northern half I am assuming?
    cost of living any different?
    Just anything you can think of that would make the two areas different or one better then the other.

16. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been out with the gun but, still not seeing buck to shoot at! Tough going so far. I am still getting some shooters in the dark moving on camera...hope some last past the Gun season.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I have some hunting acquaintances from South of St. Louis (not sure exactly where) and they swear and love the hunting there. I drove through that area heading to Kansas last year....and not gonna lie, parts of Missouri look awesome for whitetail habitat!!!

18. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    This may be a big reason why I like it so much there.... :poke:

19. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention a update on Turkey Foot. One of the well known Michigan groups made a post the other day for people to post there bucks that disappeared to see if someone else wouldn't have a answer. well as I was looking through I came across Turkey foots picture from a guy. Started messaging him and he has also had three years of history with him. Its a son of a huge farm next to us. After talking with him he had daylight pictures Nov. 13th and also was getting a bunch of pictures of him last year in January. So at least I know he is/was still alive. Thing that worry's me is he probably has a real good shot at killing him. One thing he did mention is in the last pictures it look like he was hit in the shoulder. So this would make the second time he has been hit but not killed :(.I'm praying that will throw him nocturnal for the rest of the year... What really through me for a loop is the fact he also has summer pictures of him. From where I get summer pictures to the closest boarder of there property is just over a mile. Really surprised me he would be moving that much during the summer.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    During summer they'll shift week to week at times between preferred bedding. As he ages though expect he'll shrink somewhat that tendency outside of the hunting season.