Building your own arrows

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by alex.jet, Nov 27, 2015.

1. alex.jet

alex.jet Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been thinking of building my own arrows. Purchasing a saw and a fletching jig to and all the other necessary hardware to make my own. Do you save money by doing it yourself or better off having your local shop do it for you?

2. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I only really saved money on gas. Most of the time if you buy arrows from a retailer they'll cut them and insert them for nothing. However it is fun to build your own and have that satisfaction

3. alex.jet

alex.jet Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is what I thought but I think I would really enjoy making my own. Especially after I kill one with them

4. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the time and the love to do it then id say its worth it. I like doing my own with quikflech vanes. Just got some solid yellow ones to put on my FMJ's

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the same thoughts as you because I could save about $15 buying my arrows on Amazon rather than at my local shop. I bought an inexpensive saw and the carbon arrows seemed to fray a little with it at the end. Measuring and getting the length exactly right was not easy with the cheap saw. Ends up the $15 I saved buying arrows online ended up costing the same when I took them to my local shop to have them cut them. If you really have the passion for doing it, don't go cheap on your tools is my best advice. I can totally see the satisfaction in building them yourself though. I probably will someday, just not right now. Just my 2 cents on the experience I had.

6. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is awesome shooting something with your equipment you set up yourself. It's also nice in the off chance you blow a vane and you don't have to worry bout leaving.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been building my own for a little over 3 years now and I save money. Considering the archery shop I used to go to charged $10 an arrow to setup or re-fletch, I can make any changes or fixes I need for less than $3 an arrow.

8. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go for it and enjoy becoming more self sufficient !!! I have been building my own for almost 30 yrs and love it !!!