The hardship of trying to self film!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by anthonyzink, Nov 22, 2015.

1. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Probably just blew my chance at my number one hit list buck!!! Drew back and hit my camera arm and spooked him!!! Watched him jog off and the head down the road! I really hope I didn't mess it up and he'll come back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It really is a lot tougher than it looks. I could have shot a few does early, and then a smaller buck Nov. 8th, just kept waiting for a specific deer. Now, I've gone out with the intention of filming myself shoot a doe and cannot get it done. Last night I shot a doe, but my arm hit the camera on the draw. Fml but it adds to the challenge, which is fun. Just takes practice.

3. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think the biggest challenge is carrying all the stuff in every hunt in addition to hunting gear. Then setting up and tearing down. I love it though. It can definitely be challenging

4. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very true. It wasn't an issue in early season, but once the rut is coming on its tougher to get everything organized well.

5. JackedUp!

JackedUp! Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hands down is lugging around all that equipment through the woods. I've been fine tuning my gear to get it as light as possible but it's still a pain to carry. Sometimes I wonder if it's really worth it but the memories you can capture is priceless.

6. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just trying to get a pic of the 10 point buck I shot Fri was impossible: buck fever, thick cover, the glass windows in the blind were too foggy and blurred by sunrise. Now video would be TOUGH!

7. 400excracer

400excracer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did it for a few years and decided that bow hunting was challenge enough and stopped filming myself. My son however is tying a mount for his gopro on his rifle and he is pretty pumped about it. I told him to worry about shooting the deer first and if the situation presents itself to get video then by all means go for it.

8. Stick&String96

Stick&String96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I take my hat off to guys who self film.

9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying the GoPro now plan on getting more in to our next year. We'll see if I have the patience for it.

10. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will say that having the right equipment makes it more enjoyable and easier to do. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have a camera that had LANC remote input

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It takes quite a bit of practice and planning to do it well, that's for sure. I have my gear pretty well dialed in and even though it's a burden to get it in and out of the woods, I've eliminated a lot of the wasted time and energy by having quality preparation. I can generally be completely setup and ready to hunt and film in about 5 minutes.

The toughest part for me is being able to make sure I have the deer in frame and making sure it's in focus. Sometimes it's really tough to be able to see your target on the LCD screen of the camera. I'm about to remedy that buy purchasing a 5" field monitor that I'm going to mount on the top of my camera so I can rotate the viewing screen to the angle that I need it. I think that will make all the difference in the world.

I can really only think of one time that it's truly cost me a shot on a buck, but that's just something that you have to know is a possibility when you choose to self film.

12. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did it back when youtube was just starting to make a name for itself. I gave it up. Felt like it was interfering with the enjoyment of actually hunting. Admire guys like Todd Graff and others that are able to pull it off.

13. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to thy the Tactacam next season.