First hunt, no stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hekkisaurus Rex, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been planning my first hunt for a bit now. I have been watching what others are doing as well as what patterns to follow. I still don't have a stand and don't see myself getting one anytime soon. Does anyone have any advice for ground hunting? I'm going to try and stick close to the beaten deer path and try my luck. If I don't see any deer I might just take a hog since they're abundant around here.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2. Gun2163

Gun2163 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry but i think you have watched a different video than the one I have shared. There was no yelling "I smoked him" nor was there a gut shot. I understand the concerns for the harnesses and have learned my lesson but I think making falsely comments is unnecessary. If you watch the video, we are actually deeply upset about wounding a deer. Please watch the video before comments are made, thanks.

3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I don't think you replied to the right thread.

4. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Haha I think so too

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    damn near made me think i just smoked a big doobie:jaw:

6. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you hunt the wind and set up so its in your favor!

7. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Will do, thanks for the advice!

8. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have much experience but have watched a good bit of videos. Cover is super important. Thick areas help also You will see them coming because they are moving. They shouldn't see you if you are being still and wind is in your favor. But your shot windows will be smaller, so be ready. And be super super smooth and slow as possible on your draw.

9. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Will do, thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

10. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a lot of success building natural ground blinds. If it's public you'll have to see what the laws state to cutting branches but you can find deadfall and build around it with what you find in the woods. If it's your own property, hack away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I was thinking about doing. I don't think I can cut anything here though.

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you can set up a bind of anything do it. They winder you turning your head from while back. It not hard to build a blind. The most important thing to do when setting u on the ground is to remove all leafs from the ground your standing on or will walk on. This way you make n noise

13. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Can you tell I wrote that on my phone while in bed

14. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lmfao, took me a second to figure it out! I didn't even think about clearing where I stand.

15. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Moving around on fresh earth will save you when that deer or multiple deer are around you. Plus it never fails that deer will approach from an unexpected direction.

16. cwarta

cwarta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I suggest a ground blind. If you don't want to buy one (or you can't afford it) you can always make one with some brush and trees close to each other. Be sure to hunt the wind that is very important on the ground. Good luck and happy hunting!

17. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had some ground success, but it can be difficult... Keep the wind in your favor. Make sure you're not walking in on, nor crossing the trail you're hunting. Tuck yourself into some brush or deadfall that conceals you, yet allows for a broad range of view. And most importantly, be a statue! Any motion will be picked off in a heartbeat at ground level... Make sure you draw when the right opportunity is presented, and hold completely still until the deer steps into your lane. Good luck!

18. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer hunting on the ground.... up close and personal. Way more of a challenge.
    Use the contour of the land, trails/activity and most importantly predominate wind direction.
    I have multiple sets/blinds just for that reason. As has been said once you get your blind spot, clear the ground in it in case you have to SLOWLY shift in any way or even stand up if he's just out of position. I hunt out of a chair as much as possible too. Natural blinds are really neat. I like to set mine up in early August or just re-energize ones from previous years. And most importantly.............
    DO NOT believe anything you see on TV shows!!!!!

19. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I have hunted on the ground without a blind and taken deer in my ghillie. But also without it. Clearing a spot right away on the ground ensures silence, a larger tree, boulder, hillside or inpenetrable brush at your back ensures you won't be caught from behind. Honestly, the biggest advantage I've created in taking deer from the ground in such situations is scouting and patterning. If I know which direction they'll be coming from and approximately when, I'm more mentally prepared for everything I need to do to make the shot happen. I can even know when to draw (when he passes behind that tree right there, etc.) For example, this year, in our woods, 95 percent of the morning deer I've seen in the woods have passed by between one and two hours after first light. And they've all been headed out of one of our three sloughs into a neighboring woodlot.

Scouting also helped me set up an ambush spot one year that resulted in a nice bodied 6 pointer. I was about 5 yards into the woods with a thick tree behind me that completed blocked my profile from behind and sitting on a bucket. And on the top of a ravine. I knew that deer cruised the edge along the cut cornfield during the last hour before dark thanks to my trail cam. The buck never saw me before I was able to draw and the arrow went through him. I should mention I knew that when I got there, I could only hunt the last hour and a half of light so. Setting up a ground blind or tree stand wasn't an option.

Good luck!

20. Hekkisaurus Rex

Hekkisaurus Rex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, thanks again for all of your guys help! I really appreciate it! Hopefully I'll be able to fill a tag ASAP!