Mathews® Introduces 2016 HALON™ & NO CAM™ HTX Bows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I didn't know that. I'm not into target archery so I never knew.

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it should matter who came up with something like that, if it helps improve the bow I want to see it on more bows. Its not like Jennings is the only one still making the compound bow. People need to copy good ideas and work on improving them.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree and I said I like the fact that it has that design as it is definitely beneficial. Doesn't stop it from being an unoriginal design and not something new from Mathews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews® Introduces 2016 HALON™ & NO CAM™ HTX Bows

Keep in touch;)

5. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, possibly

6. jtreat

jtreat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Then why not look at the Mathews chill X it has those exact specs

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot it last year. Nice bow, just a bit on the long side ATA for me at 35. The one I shot was actually 35 1/2". Wasn't in love with the stacking of the weight toward the back of the draw cycle either or the grip.

I don't know, I shoot Mathews every year as the shop I frequent the most is a dealer. For some reason, they always feel like "dated" technology to me. The Z series was the closest I have come to wanting a Mathews.

8. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the Halon a few days ago, shoots pretty nicely. Dead in hand, quiet, and shoots HARD. Hate the camo.

9. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot it... loved it... ordered it.

10. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well everyone I made it to my local pro shop last night and got to try out the Halon. I only shot that and not the HTX, as they don't have a 30 inch DL for that model this year, and I wasn't interested in trying it anyway. My first impression of the Halon bow is it looks really sweet! I like the large split limbs and the riser is pretty awesome looking. I really do like the shape of the riser that they went with this year adding a bit more rigidity. Picking the bow up it didn't feel heavy compared to my HTR which I really liked. I do like the flat grip that they have added. This felt like a different material than my HTR. Not better just a little different. Now with shooting the bow I will admit that I am not a fan of dual cam bows. On the draw cycle I feel as if it reminded me a lot of my HTR which IMHO is really great. Very smooth, no jump in the cycle and a very rock solid wall. I really like the wall, as some might not. At a 85% let off the bow held very nice. Note that I was only pulling 60 pounds when I usually pull 65. On the shot it was as expected, very quick! Another customer was trying out the HTX next to me and you could noticeably tell that it was hitting the target much harder, however it was noticeably louder which makes sense. I wouldn't say the bow was a loud bow, just louder than the HTX. The shot was also dead in the hand with very little vibration. Overall I would say I did really like this bow. IMHO the only thing I didn't like about the bow was the new Lost Camo XD. If I were to buy this bow (and I am not due to financial reasons, plus I love my HTR) I would order it with the stone finish. :tu:

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well I finally got a Halon setup tonight and tossed a few arrows through it. My initial impressions:

- It's a touch on the heavy side if you're over concerned about it and "looking" for it. However if you simply pick the bow up to handle it and shoot it you don't even notice. IMO people get too worried about a few ounces. Unless you're backpacking 10 miles into some remote elk camp I wouldn't even consider this a minor drawback.

- It's built like a tank. I think it's the ultra wide split limbs that really set it off but the thing just feels like it's made to take a beating. I shot it side by side with my HTR and it makes my HTR feel like a kid's toy that's going to break if I drop it. The best word I can think to describe it is "stout".

- Very smooth draw with zero hump as it drops into the valley. Again, shot side by side with my HTR (which I love) I'd give the nod to the Halon. I was admittedly impressed.

- Love, love, love the grip.

- Appreciate the added speed! I didn't put it through a chrono but again, shooting against my HTR there's a noticeable speed and impact difference at the target.

If I can get a few more arrows through her tomorrow with broadheads on them I may try to take her out and shoot a doe this weekend. I'm in a bow-only county so I get the luxury of being able to hunt a bit. After that I'm shipping her down to Clinton and he's going to finish Ernie once and for all during the late season. New bow, new luck!

[​IMG]

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks.

I think I'll wait till next year when they come out with a longer ATA Halon.

Kilboars Hunt Club

13. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you get the Halon 5,6 or 7?

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Halon 6

15. AndyWest83

AndyWest83 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot the halon along side a Hoyt, and xpedition 7 last night. The halon out performed all of them. I have been hearing alot of people say xpedition is the best bow out there. I found it very cheap feeling and alot of vibration after the shot. Not for me. The halon was smooth in the draw. And held nice. Never felt a creep at full draw unlike the X7. Overall might be trying to swap up. Anyone want to buy a HTR 28" 65lbs bare bow?

16. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, how much of that mini review was scripted? How much did Mathews pay you? :lol: Sorry, couldn't refuse buddy!

Just curious about draw cycle here. Smooth is one thing, but what about perceived weight? Lots of folks, including myself have always just said smooth. Honestly most of the high end bows are smooth these days. I'm more curious about ease of draw or how much weight it feels like you're actually pulling. Is the weight stacked at the front of the cycle? Does it carry that weight back quite a bit?

One of the things I've always liked about most of the Bowtechs was they stacked the weight at the beginning of the cycle, where we're strongest. The last couple of bows from them carried the weight quite a long time before easing into the valley. 4

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the delayed response - I was out buying a new yacht with all my sponsorship cash. It's coming in quicker than I can spend it! :lol:

Let me get a few more arrows through the bow today and I'll give you some more thoughts on the draw cycle. Last night I only shot it enough times to get things somewhat dialed in and hitting good at 20 yards. I also want to put the scale on both the Halon and my HTR so I make sure I'm comparing apples to apples.

18. AndyWest83

AndyWest83 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! Let us know!!!

19. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Live from the BHOD Yacht 2016... I can't wait. :lol:

20. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In other words...