Mathews® Introduces 2016 HALON™ & NO CAM™ HTX Bows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Nov 16, 2015.

1. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just went and shot both. I don't post much but these are my opinions on both.
    Talon- shot great. I was very impressed with it. It had a smooth draw and solid back wall. It is FAST. They only had the 6 but that's what I was most interested in, they look even better in person and the new lost camo looks great on it. I was worried about it being too heavy but i didn't really notice the weight and it was dead in the hand.
    No cam- in my opinion, it shot the same. Felt the same in my hand as last years which is good for it being shorter ATA. The only thing is that it was a lot slower than I thought. The IBO says 326 but that's with 65% let off. The looks of it are awesome though.
    Overall I went with the Talon, I loved the bow and pre ordered it! Can't wait!

2. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what John said, it is simply speculation based on the pictures and specs as of right now. I'm sure people will have more to add once they get to actually shoot them. I know I for one am pretty pumped to get them in my hands and shoot them.

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, that Halon looks Bad Arse. I may have to sell a bow.

4. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't believe I ever said they couldn't? Just finding it humorous how many are giving opinions without any experience! Lol

5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will shoot them all, as I shoot as many as I can each year, regardless if I'm in the market for one or not. I have very particular specs that I shoot well. Sub 32 inch bows I don't shoot well and I like that bit of clearance with longer brace heights.

Last year, when Mathews released the NoCam, I was really looking forward to where they took it in the next couple of years. Maybe next year?

I don't hate Mathews at all. I'm just waiting on a bow from them that really stands out for my particular tastes.

But yes, Mathews is the Apple of the bow world. They could come out with a bow using the old steel tear drop cables and hatchet cams and people would think its the most revolutionary thing since the recurve... :lol:

6. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have one in the store, first impression: super bulky. Looks boxy.

7. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lead sled

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have never cared for a Dual Cam bows. but I have to admit I really, really like the looks of the Halon. I will shoot one this weekend and if I like how it looks and feel, I will pre-order one. It looks Bad @zz to me and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

9. mobowhunter14

mobowhunter14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the looks of them and can not wait to get one in my hands and shoot it! Really cant wait to shoot the no cam htx(never shot the no cam) even though I just bought my Z2 last year I might fall victim to the Halon or HTX!

10. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys don't forget the HTX IS faster than the HTR...the HTX only goes to 29" draw length so it's speed rating is at 29" not 30" like the HTR
    The halon 7 intrigues me to go shoot it, but the slower speed and heavy weight give me pause.
    Other manufacturers are doing better with 7" brace height bows...Xpedition, Bowtech, and Obsession to name a few all getting around 342-345ibo with a 7" brace. Maybe they have slightly stiffer draw cycles, but not by much.

I will still reserve judgement until I shoot it. The riser to me looks awesome, I am excited to try the new flat backed grip, and the new Lost XD looks like a great camo.

Muzzy hunter if you want the Bowtech experience with the speed but a better draw cycle buy the Bowtech Prodigy and shoot it on the #3 cycle

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    JDUB, I see Xpedition in your signature. How do you like them? I don't have a dealer within 100 miles of me, but they look awefully nice and would love to shoot on. My only fear on these "off" brand bows is availability and having to travel so far to get warrenty work, etc done if needed.

I have shot the Prodigy many times and I feel its so close to the Experience on the 3 setting that it wasn't worth the upgrade.

Not defending Mathews, but the weight thing really baffles me. I just do not understand how 8oz or less makes that much of a difference. Hit the gym people! :lol:

12. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

13. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the new riser on the Mathews, I think it was time to switch from the gridlock design which wasnt to bad but I prefer the looks of the halon and no cam htx. I think it's great that Mathews is offering the bows in different BHs so everyone gets a bow that suits them. I do think they should have offered the halon in different ATAs as well. I know 30 ATA is great in the whitetail woods if your in a treestand or blind, but I know tons of hunters/archers would have really liked a 32-34 ATA including myself. The speed is ok, that'll kill anything. Again the weight is something I'm not a fan of. I think the bows look great compared to the looks of the Mathews bows in recent years. I'm excited to try this bow! Halon 6 in Stone tactical - yes please :)

14. Grube

Grube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I went down and shot the 6 last night. That bow is awesome! they only had the six and the new NOCAM there but the Halon 6 is a awesome shooting bow. In my opinion it pulls better than the HTR and its faster.

When you pull the HTR back it kinda feels hard the first little ways witch never bothered me, but the new bow is unbelievably smoother than the NOCAM from last year, The new Halon looks like it would be heavy, but it really doesn't bother me, When i picked it up it was lighter than it looked.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  15. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought that about the HTR as well when I shot it...when I first picked it up it felt lighter than 4.3#...the bows feel lighter than their specs. Hoping that's the case for the Halon 7 as well.
    On contrary my Bowtech Experience felt heavier than its stated 4.2#
    My Xpedition feels about right at 3.9#

16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Just my two cents, on paper neither model looks great. Still plan on shooting them with no preconceived notions. In all honesty, it's unoriginal. They stole the riser cage from elite and the bridge below the stabilizer from hoyt. I like those features as they add stability to the riser, but nevertheless, it's a copied design.
    Most Mathews I have shot have missed the IBO speed (all bows have been tuned very well. Synced and timed perfectly, falls within factory specs and achieve proper draw weight, length and arrows flying straight) and then it comes with the caveat of the misleading numbers due to multiple let off options. People say "oh but they give speed with a smooth draw", big whoop many companies do that now. Hoyt is able to produce a 6" BH bow that will exceed its 350 IBO rating and have a great draw cycle. Their cam system leaves a lot to be desired from a tuning standpoint. No yokes and the floating yokes are definitely not my favorite to tune.
    There was a trend I very much liked of manufacturers making longer ATA flagship bows. They went in the opposite direction with these models. I won't complain about weight as that doesn't bother me in the slightest (until you get to wake proportions) as I shoot one bow that is 4.5 bare and the other that is 4.7.
    Like I said in the beginning all around nothing original or groundbreaker, specs leave a lot to be desired from my perspective but I will still shoot both models and continue from there. They are a solid company and make nice shooting bows but these are not that great in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I was thinking the same. This new design looks like my old Monster 6 modified and I'd like a longer ATA length also. I figure they come out with a HalonR next year that will be longer.

18. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The wake and the no cam trg had the bridge below the stabilizer and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they come out the same year as they hoyt nitrum?

19. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't say anything until I shoot em, but I'm looking to upgrade my Z7X this year...I got close to doing it with the htr last season, maybe this is the year.

Anyone looking for a loaded used z7x 70/30 ?

20. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Hoyts been using that design on the target line long before the nitrum series.
    All the way back to 2010[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk