Mathews® Introduces 2016 HALON™ & NO CAM™ HTX Bows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Nov 16, 2015.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Ideal specs for me is 33-34 ATA, 7" BH and something in the 330-335ish range. I do not care about bow weight as the ultralights (carbon bows, etc) I find hard to shoot without adding a pound and half to them anyway.

I'm willing to give up a little bit of the easy pull for a bit of speed. I am not willing to give in on brace height, no less than 7", and I do not like bows less than 32" ATA.

My current hunting bow is a Bowtech Experience. Very good shooter and plenty fast. However I do wish Bowtech would tame the draw cycles down a click.

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not a fan of the 360? I liked my buddies, seems a bit smoother then my MR6. No clue compared to the Experience though.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I personally love the way the Halon looks and am excited to shoot one when it arrives. I still have some doe tags in my pocket so if all goes well I may be able to draw blood with it before the year is out.

When it comes to bows, to each their own. I wish the Halon was a touch lighter but aside from that I'm a fan. Speed seems on par with most bows that shoot well without having a harsh draw cycle, which is what I am personally looking for. I killed a pile of animals with my "slow" NoCam HTR this year so speed isn't the end-all of a good hunting bow.

4. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:

Nope. I spent time shooting it and the 6" brace is not for me. Its a shooter in the range and backyard, just worry about the clothing clearances in screwed up situations you find yourself in while in a treestand.

I know my ideal requirements are very specific. Thats why I usually hang onto a bow for a few years until something I like a bit better comes along. I love the tunability and shootability of the Bowtechs. Its just lately I've noticed them straying from what made them great to begin with. They're favoring speed over other aspects.

5. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right forgot about the brace height. Was more asking your thoughts on the draw cycle I guess. Either way, I agree completely.

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right forgot about the brace height. Was more asking your thoughts on the draw cycle I guess. But that's for another thread I guess lol. Im off topic now.

I do agree with Justin, they look sweet. I can dig that for sure. I just hate how far they have drifted from what seemed like some of their best products, even to this day. Heck try and buy a used Z7X, in my area anyway you cant find a bare bow for less then $550 still. They hold value because people love them and Mathews left them behind.

7. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    The draw cycle isn't bad, but I believe the Experience is a bit better in that regard. The Prodigy is a very intriguing bow and one that I would like to shoot more in the smooth setting.

I have been a Bowtech fan for about 10 years now. I have been looking at every other bow manufacture to see if anything, spec for spec matches or exceeds what Bowtech has been offering.

My biggest problem with the new Matthews bows is the brace and lack of performace. I'll be damned if I'd shoot a sub 7" brace bow for 325fps IBO. Tons of 7"+ brace bows with great draw cycles with that speed or better. Elite comes to mind.

8. Talon_Ab77

Talon_Ab77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I like the look and design of the Halon. It got my attention and I'm excited to try one out.

9. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you checked out this bow? Seems to have what you're looking for. :tu:

http://hoyt.com/compounds/defiant

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, at least they look better than all those bows with the gridlock riser.

11. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love em.

12. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Which brace height did you go with?

Side note: I saw on the Mathews website that the HTR is listed at $1099 and the HTX is listed at $999. Seemed backwards?

13. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think they look pretty good, I can't wait to shoot them and feel for myself! Liking the looks of the HALON with a 6" brace

14. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    I have and I definitely want to shoot them. I used to shoot Hoyts before switching to Bowtechs. I'm patiently waiting till after this season to shoot everything from a handful of companies. Just another reason to hate the off season... it can be expensive!

15. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The HTR has more materials than the HTX. The HTX is more compact and shorter. Also the HTR has two harmonic stabilizers but looks like the HTX has only a dampener and a stabilizer. This is my guess. :tu:

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's crazy how worked up some people get over the release of a new bow... Seems like people are the craziest over the Mathews.

I really did like the comment that Mathews is just like the iPhone. Every year they release new bows - And every year people will buy them... Because they're Mathews.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would like Mission to come out with a good bow again...been awhile in my opinion. Sorry but for the money I just don't see it in the brand new Mathews line and I am a Mathews fanboy. If I were to buy a brand new Mathews right now it'd be the HTX or perhaps the Z2 still listed on their site.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  18. Grube

Grube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really like the bows! I wish they would have stuck with the Gridlock riser, but it still looks killer. Really like the dual "Cages" on the new riser, it should really stifen them up!

One thing is for sure the new Mathews HALON 5...will be sitting in the blind with me this late season, casing bulls in Colorado in September, and in the tree stand next fall!

19. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews® Introduces 2016 HALON™ & NO CAM™ HTX Bows

Two pages of comments, and how many have shot them?

20. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whats your point? The specs and pictures came out, people aren't allowed to give their opinion based on that?