Discussion - Where is whitetail hunting headed?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Nov 12, 2015.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the end there are differences all over. Should there be a category for farmland deer vs forest land.

Growing up and still today nobody I know personally talk about the score of a deer. It has always been point and spread and left at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Matt Jensen

Matt Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. And does anyone really care if their name ends up in a book? I mean do people actually try looking up people they know in these records. Never understood these net scores either.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the OP can be summed up to money. Throw enough money at deer hunting and you will shoot bigger deer. Buy thousands of acres, plant hundreds of acres of food, spend all year hunting. I think the point he is trying to make is that the people with a lot of money invested in deer hunting will keep shooting bigger and bigger bucks and chances are they will be the ones to set the records. Well this may be true, but can you blame them? If I was rich I would have a thousand acre ranch in Iowa Illinois Minnesota Wisconain and any other state I wanted. I'd have a JD 6140 on each farm with anything I needed for food plots. Id have 100 LW stands and I'd probably shoot booners every year. Free range is free range in my book. Yes it can be frustrating to see all these guys with a million dollars invested but this is America. If that's their dream there isn't any reason they shouldn't have it and record books, in my opinion, shouldn't penalize them. Not that I care about records anyway. And the beautiful thing about America is that while it may not be easy, no one is stopping you from getting a thousand acre ranch right between drury's and labowski's.

Hope that was more on topic than the state of QDMA stickers on reservation trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do put a buck in the book, it is my goal every season. For me being in the book isn't about other people seeing my name in the book, it is about achieving something I wanted when I was starting out as a deer hunter. I don't display the certificate because it is personal.

As far as a separate book and qualifications NEVER going to happen, P&Y is about tradition and preserving it.

5. Matt Jensen

Dislikes Received:
    Then why even put your name in there? If you shoot a nice buck and you don't want the recognition then don't put your name in there. Just be happy that you achieved your goal.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wait like a kid at Christmas for the mail to come for the certificate then get it and put it away. I wanted to shoot a pope and young buck that was the goal, it isn't a pope and young buck till it is in the book. I am dumb enough to pay the money to be in the book, just smart enough to not buy a copy of the book.

7. Matt Jensen

Dislikes Received:
    That's the definition of recognition. You want people to acknowledge that you shot a deer that someone else defined as a trophy. I don't want my name in that book, to me a trophy has nothing to do with score.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think of it as me or my name being in the book, it is about the deer being in the book.

9. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody who wants, Send me your money and picture of your buck. I have a printer, I can make certificates and a book.

:rock::rock::rock:

10. Matt Jensen

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure the deer is honored

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I tag a buck I don't think hot damn I am in the book, I am excited that the buck qualified to make the book. Deer are not capable of feeling honored they are animals quit watching Bambi.:lol:

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Sorry Rem you are not held in esteem like Pope and Young, read some bow hunting history and then you may grow to appreciate who Pope and Young are and what they did for bowhunting, they did the ground work for guys like Fred Bear to come after them and build archery hunting as a sport.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Think of it as entering a buck is like showing final respect to the animal.

14. Matt Jensen

Dislikes Received:
    You don't get sarcasm do you? I'm just saying I don't care what some people say is the minimum for a trophy, I shoot what makes me happy. Other people should do the same. Have a good rest of your season.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey good luck to you as well I get your side of the argument as far as what a trophy is to you. I could shoot a buck that did not qualify but would still be a trophy to me as well. (Ok that is a lie) It is also easier to pick up on sarcasm if you use a little emoji :lol:. Online discussions you never who is serious about what point they are making or if they are making sport.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  16. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    My final respect for the deer I shoot happens when I eat the last of it.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You don't look at the heads on the wall and feel fortunate or remember the hunt or what lead up to getting the final shot at the buck?

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did find a ray of hope in the Brainard newspaper recently, there was a story about the hunts at Ripley this year and the bucks that were listed as being "big bucks" the weight was listed rather than the antler size. I am old enough to remember when big buck contests were all about the weight of the deer not the antlers.

19. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, no. I don't see having a mount made and on the wall or the antlers mounted and hung up as a tribute to or paying respect to the deer. If anything it is a tribute to myself and my skill.

20. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont like emoji's if someone cant tell I am joking then that's to bad. I am glad the one slike Tim did not get mad when I said he needed to camo his beard. And no I dont think they will put in a special listing.