Discussion - Where is whitetail hunting headed?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As soon as it is admitted that blaming the indian for the low deer numbers in the northern half of Wisconsin is foolish.

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to make a comment about how my great grandmother was Seminole and I found the Indian comments offense. But I can't with a straight face. She was Seminole but I am not offended :) .

Sota is just stirring the pot. He doesn't shoot does at all. He also doesn't shoot small bucks so I a not sure what his point really is other than have fun riling you guys up.

I agree with all the big buck hunting in our country I worry about the future of hunting. When my young nephew gets ridiculed at a processor because of the size of his deer, things seem askew to me. I am not anti QDMA at all. However I think some people need to realize shooting a small deer isn't the end of the world.

3. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    50c3c8f4c3a6d445a3a3a404e4041226.jpg

<insert war whoop>

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those people that ridicule are just a**holes. The QDMA is always stating you can't put a restriction on youth hunters.

5. TheRiverBottom

Dislikes Received:
    I hope the future of deer hunting in VA is no deer dogs. It is a tradition here, but it negatively impacts too many other hunters who do not participate.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They never were blamed, because they haven't been able to off reservation until now. But there is a very good likelihood that going forward they are going to have a big impact on some off reservation land where they will now be able to add to their night hunting.

Enough problems with the DNRs over issue of doe tags and hunters thinking because they have doe tags they have to fill them, the wolf population and not being able to hunt them.

7. Matt Jensen

Matt Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer numbers are low there for 3 reasons. 1 wolves, bears and coyotes. 2 over harvest last 15 years. 3 less logging going on. Deer numbers will never be high in a big woods setting without logging. Now if you would ask why the walleyes are down then I will have an answer you probably wouldn't like.

8. RQuigley87

RQuigley87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly with the feed and supplementation we need P n Y and B n C need to start having asterisk next to these deer. What is the difference between them and Barry Bonds?

9. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Pope & Young world record typical is from 1965. If you think an asterisk is needed, why would we still have records from the 60's?

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    EXACTLY!! Deer hunting goals MUST remain individual and NO ONE should be ridiculed for what they shoot. I put my own restrictions on my hunting simply for the challenge. If it results in hunting no longer being fun, I will undoubtedly be less restrictive on what I shoot. Hunting is about food, fellowship, and fun.

11. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Musky also.

12. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What I got from the OP was not what hunters would think but the non hunters and I think the non hunters would see it as a business and not care for it even the ones that dont mind hunting. As far as hunting in those conditions sign me up. Please.

13. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a friend that let's me hunt on his lease. It has been in his family for over 40 years. When he was young any thing got shot fork horns were big. since he took it over he stopped shooting small he would still let a novice shot small. Now each year he see's up to 10 points and bigger. He is not intensive about it mainly in what he shoots In about 10 years this what he accomplished.

14. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup.....

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not much penetration that indian was using a mechanical. Also whoever painted that deer has never actually seen a deers antlers, must have looked at a deer crossing sign as reference.

16. TheRiverBottom

Dislikes Received:
    His Dances With Wolves name would be Stands Over Buck With Magic Spirit Dust Fist.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What no sponsors? What a loser.

18. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I had the amount of land, money and time that some of the aforementioned pro hunters do I would probably do the same. Having said that, I think the spirit of hunting in of itself is on a downward trend. Too much is made in the results instead of the experience. I like to shoot big bucks as much as anyone but I honestly value my time afield in the challenge whether I am successful in the kill or not. So much has been lost with all of the outfitting and deer farming.

I may partially be influenced by the state of affairs on deer hunting here in Illinois. Illinois continues to allow unlimited doe permits, lower numbers of game wardens, and the obvious disregard by the politicians who run the DNR here. Sad state of affairs in Illinois in my opinion.

19. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, we got off topic here. I believe I should have retitled the thread as its really not about hunting, what it means, etc. The point we talked about in the truck on the way home was that sooner or later, one would think that as squirrely as the record keepers are, that the bucks killed by Lakosky, Kisky, Drury, etc., will be heavily scrutinized and perhaps put in their own category.

Bottom line, do you think the score keepers will eventually not recognize these deer or put them in their own category because of the heavily managed/farmed and supplemented deer we're seeing off of some of these properties?

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hope not because what it boils down to the deer is still a deer managed or not. The it's not fair crowd will want to make changes.