Bit by a deer tick.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sethf11, Nov 11, 2015.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was out hunting Saturday and Sunday. Didn't shoot a deer but saw a few. I went with a friend who on Saturday found two ticks on him. I checked myself over and nothing. I went hunting Sunday and got home and checked myself again just in case and nothing. Last night about 10:30pm I was watching tv and felt a pinching on the back of my upper leg. I reach down and bam, an engorged tick! It was a deer tick. I managed to remove all of the tick and I had a small red mark with a dark red center. The tick came out intact and it was pretty engorged. I just went to the doc and got the pills (doxycycline). I'm my area in the north east US ( New York) Lyme disease is pretty prevalent with tick bites.

Weather has been warm so the ticks are still out and active.

Just a heads up to be careful everyone.

Now I gotta wait and see what happens. See how things look in a few weeks.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You did the right thing by getting to the Dr. Good luck.

3. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They're so bad here in the south, at least on the properties that I hunt, I just pull them off and carry on. Most of the time that I find them is in the middle of the night when I wake up itching. Typically just go in the bathroom, pull them off, scratch until it bleeds and pour on the Clorox..after a full minute of yelling and cussing, I go back to sleep and wake up with scabs haha

4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hardcore. I like it. Any Lyme disease down your way with the ticks? I know about 3-4 people who have gotten it up my way.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a tick last year scouting. Luckily I found it about 4 hours later and it was not engorged, I think it rode home on my gear and it found me at the house. I started spraying all my clothes and packs with Sawyers after that.

I did learn your vet can test them for Lyme disease. I was at my doctor recently and someone called in worried and he told them to get the tick tested.

6. Deanhuntsny

Deanhuntsny Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A tick needs to be attached and feeding for at least 24 hours to give you Lyme disease. I'd say you are pretty safe with not getting it. I also hunt in NY and ticks are very common in my area. I find ticks in me or crawling on me a couple times a week. I also thru hiked the appalachian trail last year and found some areas in the south like bigphil said were loaded with ticks. The percentage of ticks down there with Lyme is much much smaller and not common at all, unlike up here in the northeast. So just make sure to check yourself after every hunt and you'll be ok!

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    permethrin... get some

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dean- I respectfully beg to differ that a tick needs to be in your body 24 hours to transmit disease. I don't care what a Dr has read in a medical journal, I have personally experienced issues from tick bites and the ticks were not attached for 24 hours. I may be a medical rarity but if I get a tick bit in the flesh around the bite site dies in about a 1/4" circle around the wound. I get scars when a deer tick bites me, I have also tested positive 3 out of the 4 attached tick bites and none of those ticks were attached for 24 hours.

9. JackO

JackO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is getting bad. Every dog I have had tests positive for exposure after a couple years. Keep on top of it!

10. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha I was thinking the same thing....going to the doctor for a tick bite..? I would have bought the doctor a brand new yacht on my own this year, let a lone ALL the years past.

Find tick, pull off, burn it...repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

13. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After pulling off an engorged tick off my junk I picked up a big bottle of Sawyer permethrin and spray all the clothes I wear into the woods or use for working outdoor.
    As they say:An ounce of prevention...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

15. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been battling Lyme disease now for the last 2 years. My symptoms didn't even start until a month after the bite. Dr kept telling me I had the flu and I'll get over it. After 3 months I was completely disabled and couldn't hardly walk. Dr then told me I had MS and I thought my life would be forever changed. A family friend encouraged me to go see a LLMD and get tested for Lyme. I did and sure enough that's what it was. She began treating me and I've been slowly getting better. I had to withdraw from college I was so ill. Lyme disease is nothing to mess around with and my family and I now spray all of our clothes with permethrin.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it sucks treatment wise if Dr's are not looking at options. It is very possible to have false negative tests. I know two people who were ill for extended periods of time undiagnosed and ended up in the ER one had a heart attack the other was hospitalized for over a week. Bothe were under a Dr's treatment neither were aware of ever being bit by a tick but had been and had lymes.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

18. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had 2 ER visits, both because I was puking until I became unconscious. All they did was pump some fluids in me, tell me I had the flu, and sent me on my way. I live in Wisconsin where Lyme disease is extremely prevalent. You would think Dr's would be more aware

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    True, I used to just see any Dr that had an opening if I needed an appointment. Because I found a Dr that knows his lymes he is the only Dr I will see for any ailment.

20. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard 6 hours and 12 hours on this. Recommend getting the dose of doxy regardless how long the tick was attached. there is a variety of diseases besides lyme and rocky mountain and they all suck. no reason to take a chance.