Climibing Treestands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JMann11, Nov 9, 2015.

1. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've been hunting for about 12 years, and learned everything I know from my dad and uncle. Neither one were able to climb a treestand for years. Dad shattered his ankle and uncle has really bad blood clots. So we always hunted off the ground. They also both used crossbows because it is hard to draw and shoot sitting on the ground. So that's how I was raised and learned to hunt. Now I'm 19 and bought my first compound bow off a friend, and want to buy a climbing treestand. What are some good brands and options for me? Money is not a huge priority but I don't want to spend too much. I have found some online for $75, are those junk and a waste of my money? Need some advice from people who have been using them for years. Any tips are always welcome.

2. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You cannot go wrong with. Lone Wolf or the new XOP climbing treestands. I bought my lone wolf sit and climb 7 years ago and it is the best. It will be the last climber you buy. They are more money, but worth every penny!

3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a LW believer!!! Summit also makes a good stand. IMO you can't go wrong with the LW. Good luck. Make sure you get a good harness for those "oh sh**" moments.

4. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't be happier with my Summit.
    light, quiet, and rock solid on the tree

5. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Summit....that said I do have a pile of others even have aluminum walmart knockoff that I use every year. don't really matter just look at how well it's built.

6. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your talking about the stand on amazon I really like it, it's so similar to API's climbing stand just half the price, it's a little bit heavier and you might want to replace the string that they give you for footholdings with some tighter bungee chords! Hope this helps

7. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would actually suggest a hang on and sticks. Not as comfortable, but never limited in tree selection, and cheaper. I just bought an xop hang on for 159 and three lone wolf sticks for 130.

8. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! It looks like Lone Wolf might be the one to go with. My friends dad is letting me use one of his climbers to see if I like it or not. If I do, I will be on the market for one. So if anyone has an extra laying around let me know!

9. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also going to check out some Summit's and do some comparing

10. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad said no to a hang on, he thinks they are not safe enough. Didn't really ask him about a climber so who knows if he will approve.

11. Troutking

Troutking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    buy a Lone Wolf handclimber. You will spend $250 to $400 but you will be able to hunt as many trees as you want. I have a handclimber I hunted out tonight and have probably sat in it over 300 times in the last 7 years. Lot cheaper than buying a bunch of separate stands. Being a mobile hunter will make you a better hunter.

12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of terrain are you hunting? Is there an abundance of straight bare trees? If not and you are a run n gunner do yourself a favor and get a hang on. Climbers are good if you have time to prep a ton of trees but if youre just going in and setting up it can lead to frustration. Btw i bought a used summit python climber for $100 its nice and light. Good luck!

13. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Just saw this post. If you are tied off and wearing all safety equipment there is nothing unsafe aboit them. Being a father i understand his concern but things arent the same as they were 20 yrs ago.

14. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shocker, I hunt in North-East Ohio, in mostly hardwoods so there is no shortage of straight tall trees. We do plenty of scouting and I have all year to trim trees, I just want to be able to move my treestand to different locations throughout the year, and between different properties.

15. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Summit Viper SD I would sell you, Let me know if you are interested!

16. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The worst part about the cheap climbers is they're HEAVY. You'll soon hate lugging around 30+ pounds, your bow, backpack, etc.
    Spend the extra money and get yourself a good, lightweight climber.
    I have many trees picked out, and set up with hooks, cut lanes, etc... And for every wind direction possible.

Tell Pops that you will be harnessed to the tree as soon as you leave the ground. Just slide your strap up as you climb.
    Once you start, you'll love being able to hunt a new spot every time out, as high or low as you choose.

17. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    You will do good with climber then. Thats where i use mine is in Illinois Hardwood creek bottoms. Might want to jump on the viper sd Cledus is offering. They are good stands. The thing you need to decide though is if you want an open front, or a rail. The rails are nice to be able to sit on while you climb but might get in the way if you are shooting close to your tree. Mine is open front.

18. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cledus, how much are you thinking?

19. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look at XOP. Pretty much a Lone Wolf and a bit cheaper. I know there are differences but you can't beat the XOP Enforcer for $240.

Just don't cheap out and get a heavy stand. You will hate carrying it around.

Some of the others steel stands are like 30lbs.

20. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, even somewhat safer. Say something happens and the stand slides Down the tree... How do you get down?

To the op, I was scared of a hang on and sticks too, but I had one bad experience in a climber, and I will never use one again.