Cold weather gear for my wife?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin21, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife has been bow hunting 4 years now and her hands and toes absolutely freeze once the temps drop in the 40 degree range, any advice on what boots would be best to keep her feet warm and gloves you guys have had success with. I have read reviews on the heated soles and had terrible reviews so I am not real comfortable buying them, thanks for any help she loves hunting and in Oklahoma rut is right around the corner so hoping she can stay in the woods.

2. norseman112

norseman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have good luck with Rocky boots and my girl friend loves hers. I cant remember what gram they are but they were rated for below zero conditions. They are light weight, good grips and very comfortable and your feet don't sweat in them. The last ten years Rocky are the only boots I buy. I use them in the mountains as well. I am sure there are other good ones, but I sure like the Rocky boots. The gloves I buy are Huntworth Thinsulate Lined Hunting Gloves 40 grams. They keep you warm and are not bulky.
    Good Luck

John

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In cold temps I'll wear my Muck Artic Pro's, they usually keep me toasty with an insulated pair of socks. I got LaCrosse boots this archery season that are so comfortable and a pair of thick socks I've been good (so far).

Gloves are so hard. I have horrible circulation in my fingers. They turn white or purple in any temp lower than 50. I just make sure to carry hot packs with me. Field and Stream carries some nice gloves for women though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

4. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get something like this for her hands with a couple hand warmer going inside she can get by for hours with just a light glove if a shooting opportunity presents its self.

http://m.basspro.com/RedHead-Camo-Fleece-Hand-Muff/product/10221151/

For her feet a quality well fitted insulated boot and sock and the this over the boot once on stand.

http://m.basspro.com/ArcticShield-Boot-Covers-for-Men/product/55198/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Living in northern WI. and having hunted some brutal late season weather the above items have kept me in the woods when my friends are back at the house.

5. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I will look into those, on the boot covers how do those help keep your feet warm? Are they insulated or something like that?

6. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had great success with the huntworth pop top mittens. I put a hand warmer in the pocket on the back and a second in the mitten.

7. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they are. Just put them on over the boot once you get on stand.

8. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the arctic shield boot covers for when its super cold. I ha e 1200 gram boots for most of the winter, but when it gets super cold I wear 400 gram boots and put covers on in stand with a hot hands pack and I'm nice and toasty

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

9. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Arctic Shield boot covers and the glove covers, great products. On the coldest days here in Missouri, they definitely work.

[​IMG]

10. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same as this with the attic shield, and I use a thin glove stuffed into a muff with some hot hands.

11. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips should help.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ever since my second back surgery I am a big sissy in the cold. Arthritis set in the areas of the surgery (common even when "younger", I'll be 44 next week, I am told). A hand muff with hand warmers is the only thing that works for my hands. I also like to put a warmer near my kidneys, heat your core and it helps everywhere. For boots one important things is make sure they aren't too tight. You need some air space for warmth. Too many times I put on a merino liner sock, then a wool sock and my feet are very snug in my boots and my feet freeze. Once I started buying boots for winter a 1/2 size larger it really helped.