Apollo 13 - Team 13

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by dmen, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's really an awesome buck.

2. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck again man!

Well I have my target buck. He has been photographed on 11 different days this season at three different stands. He keeps going to the one I'm not at.

Nice 10 pointer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice 10 pointer

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Thank you
    You have nice one here. Hope you knock him down.

I have entered mine w/ score and points to come

[​IMG]

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a lot of bucks this weekend but only 2 shooters, not in range. They were cruising, not chasing does.

5. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still in stand right now, but wind is howling. Had a nice 150 ten point at 35 yards last night, but he would not enter one of my shooting lanes. The chasing is starting, hoping for the best.

6. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys
    I'm going crazy at home, I may go sit with decoy and video camera.

[​IMG]

7. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey boys good luck. I just got in the stand. I never have much luck with estrous urine but had to try tonight. I have a kinda sorta goodish badish wind. But don't have a chance to hunt until late this week. And I know lock down is gonna start any day if not already. So needed to get aggressive. I got some estrous down my shooting lane and another wick under my stand to hopefully mask any scent I give off. A little warm but is supposed to cool down fast tonight. Tomorrow is going to be a windy rainy day. So let's see

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was on stand 5.5 hours this afternoon, nothing was moving. Not even squirrels. The wind was blowing strong the whole night and I think maybe that had something to do with it.

9. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man that sucks. We hunted the last 3 days out here in Ohio and had 4 shooters all come to 70 yards and hang up

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they were moving like crazy this past weekend in NE OH. I am back hunting PA this week. PA State Forest has been kicking my butt this year haha.

11. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted 6 of 9 days in November. And saw nothing more then a couple does and a couple forkers. Worst rut in my entire hunting life. In terms of seeing deer. Normally during rut even if I don't get s shot I still usually see deer running all over the place. I haven't seen a damn thing.

12. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am down to my last day and a half kansas hunt. It's not looking good. The wind is crazy strong right now. I went to sit in my blind but the wind had it going all over the place, so I am just hunting between 2 bushes. If I don't connect by tomorrow my chances of contributing to the team is nill.

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sat from 11-5:30 today and skunked again. PA ends Saturday in my unit but I have time in OH still.

14. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I had an exciting hunt. I did not see a deer until The last 15 minuts of light. I see a big bodied deer walking across the milo field about 200 yards away. I rattled a few times and he just kept going. So I grab my bow and antlers and run down the field towards him in the cedar trees. I get to about 100 yards away and get behind another cedar bush. I rattle again, and he keeps going, I rattle again and nothing. I have pretty much given up on him when all of a sudden he gets to the end of the milo field and heads east towards my general directon. When he reaches the bottom of the milo field where it adjoins to the property i am on he changes direction and is headed right at me. I am behind a bush, this is my only cover. I peaked around the bush and he is still coming right at me with his head down, now I can see how big his rack is, he is a monster. He gets right on the other side of the bush I am behind and I come to fill draw expecting him to walk broadside by me at less than 10 yards. When he does not show I peak around the other side and he is walking diagonally away from me, I try and adjust a little to give me a shot and he spooked, I have no idea if he saw me or if I made a noise when I adjusted my body but whatever it was he bolted. I was still pumped from the encounter but a few minutes later it sunk in that I blew it on a massive Kansas whitetail. Now I am just sick over not connecting.

15. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, sorry it's been a week and a half. I've been off the grid with no internet or cell phone service in southeastern Ohio hunting on the family farm. I will give you the super short recap since I'm in a hotel tonight and pretty tired.

Buck on the left heard me draw back on him and ran off...

[​IMG]

I shot over the head of this buck somehow.....

[​IMG]

Then I had another encounter with the 9 pointer...

[​IMG]

And it ended like this....

[​IMG]

16. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck. Sounds like an up and down week.

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Joe Bear! Nice buck.

I am done with PA's early season unless I get to hunt in a special regs unit (they last until the 28th). My unit closes tomorrow. I am heading to OH tonight for the weekend. My friend donates a week hunt to a St Jude's charity auction every year and those guys were there this week. The weather was awful for those guys and they left early (yesterday afternoon). I feel bad they didn't connect since it is for charity. But the up side is that means the two shooters we have been seeing may still be around.

18. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck joe bear!!!

Up here bow season is open until December 31. I'm going to be going in this weekend one morning. I will be hunting a lot less next little while. I usually get back in pretty hard when the weather is frozen and snowy. Easy to pattern them for evening hunts on food sources at that time.

19. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okay Amigos, here goes... I had a crazy week of hunting. Had a bunch of small bucks moving and way too many does. Took me awhile before I had a mature buck encounter. My first was the big 9 pointer on Sunday morning before church. My parents told me that the big bucks had been crossing right in front of where me, my uncle, and best friend were going into the woods about an hour after we would go in. So Sunday morning I went and stood on the ground behind a tree waiting for them to walk in front of the path. They didn't and 5 min before I left to go get ready for church I grunted. The big nine came out behind me instead of in front of me. He heard me draw and bolted.

The next big buck I saw was on Wed morning. He came in and stared at me for 4 min. When he started walking again I went to full draw and put the worst shot on the biggest deer Ive ever shot at. It went clean over his head. We got it on film. He had me all shook up is all I can come up with. It was bad.....

Then a coyote came in a little while later and I shot that sucka. Then my buddy put an arrow in him for good measure.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  20. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About an hour after that the big 9 came in. That stinker heard me draw back on him again! We had a staring contest for about 5 min with me at full draw. I aimed in what was the smallest hole through a bunch of thick branches and let the arrow go when I couldn't hold any longer. He snorted and ran off. I missed the biggest buck of my life and followed it up by missing the new biggest buck of my life. I was so furious with myself I about climbed out of the tree to head back to the house but my buddy convinced me to stay. We saw a few deer and at about 11:15 I got out of the tree.

I walked over and couldnt find my arrow which isn't a surprise because I couldnt find the first one either. I walked where I thought I saw the deer go and at 30 yards there was nothing. I stopped thought about turning back but my buddy was still working his way down the tree in his climber so I went a little further. After another 10 yards I saw a bunch of blood cross the path I was on. I couldnt believe it. I ran down to my buddy and told him we had blood. He didn't believe me. He saw what I shot through, he thought I was messing with him. But his tune quickly changed when he saw how excited I was. He rushed down and we walked to the spot and we started jumping up and down, grown men hugging, it was a sight for sore eyes.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015