Team 4 - HONOVI HUNTERS Official Thread

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Jul 6, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well for those that weren't in the group texts BOOM....

20151104_190536_001.jpg

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Ty!

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas needless to say we are very happy right now...3 day stretch and both pops and I are can ease up our hunting some and focus on fringes to get a couple does at the properties and PRAY LIKE MAD during hectic gun season some good ones live.

The warm forecast for next weekend tells me a LOT of people are gonna be hitting the woods, which means a lot of deer will be dying...

As for my buck Taxidermist has been in the ball game for over 50 years and he checked out the teeth and he without hesitation said Junior was a 4 year old minimum and he would be shocked to hear otherwise. We are gonna send the jawbone in possibly just out of curiosity.

Score will be done here soon from him as well and then I'll post up the harvest pictures we got and score to scorecard.

I'll also share the story direct or link it when done.

GET OUT THERE FELLAS, THE TIME HAS COME, lot of interested bucks seeking some right now and cruising. Early does have come in heat in spotty intervals it seems from sign at least in Northern Indiana.

With the $600 taxidermy bill...I'm trying to decide whether I should attempt some Ohio or Michigan hunting this year yet on public chasing another buck.....we shall see.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  4. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, got to Franki's house about an hour ago, he's been kind enough to let me crash here for the next few days. My annual 9 day stretch starts tomorrow at day break.

We have the right wind tomorrow to hunt the best stand in my opinion to kill that buck I shared that I'm calling Steve. I'll be pulling an all day sit for sure. May get down for an hour to check cams as I have the place covered in them, hopefully I've got some good pics of a few running around there.

Will post an update tomorrow. Most likely spending the next 2-3 days here depending on wind and what's on cam. I've got the right wind for my farms in the NW part of the state starting Monday so I may run up there Sunday night.

Good luck to all those in the woods the next few days. I'm guessing that the next 3 days will be the best of the year!

5. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome dude. I have a feeling you'll put Steve down.

I'm headed out now for an all day sit on some public land. I have all this coming week off to get after a buck hardcore. Good luck fellas. Stay safe!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted all day Friday. Ended up seeing....NO Deer. Bummer. I did see two different black bear. One crawled within 10 yards so, that was really cool.

Monday could be the day! I can't hunt today.

7. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot that today is muzzleloader opener and had a couple guys walk in on me. Bummer.. oh well sticking it out, never know what'll happen.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas hunted this morning for a doe but didn't see anything. Gotta try to get that done before Saturday otherwise I'm pretty much out of spots as we like treating the Homestead as a sanctuary when we don't have buck tags left....neighbor idiots will put enough pressure on the place and it being tight it doesn't take much.

Got home today though and the neighbor young guy shot at one of the big bucks (a big 120 or higher 8) at the Homestead property....but worried as no blood really. Pops (bloodhound) and myself (more of a sign reader) helped tracked droplet after droplet (tiny ones too) for about 100 yards and only about a dozen droplets or so....the arrow had barely any blood on it and the fletching had just a couple wisps of blood streaks hinted....I knew the second I saw that arrow barring a miracle we were not going to find that deer. I believe the deer is probably hounding does as I type most likely.

I took the afternoon off and am letting pops go hunt swamp for a doe...he's in same stand I shot Junior in Wednesday, good chance a doe walks out too. I'm updating forums and attempting to write the story of Junior for Small Acre and will share here once I get it done.

9. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Well nothing doing for me today fellas. Got a blinking check engine light on the way home and have a really rough idle. It's throwing a misfire in cylinder 6. Gotta figure this out now. Grrrrrr had to happen right when vacation comes for hunting. Hoping it's a quick fix tomorrow.

10. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of small bucks early. Nothing seen after 7:30 or so.

Sat most of the day, only got down long enough to check cams. Good news is that Steve is all over the property and even moving mid day. Headed to bed now, getting back after it in the AM.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone bored or love reading harvest stories I got the one on Junior finally up. Would copy and paste it here but it mixes in some photo references so flow would be weird. It is on my site here: http://www.smallacrehunting.com/#!junior-2015/s2gzi

Good luck everyone....first chance I'll be back out will be Wednesday. I was covered in deer last night but only a fawn gave me a shot chance so no doe for me....will get us 50 points here soon though hopefully! Score for buck should be done in a week or so...

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas I've made ZERO head way on trying to contact Bloodrunner or Almightynut....ZERO clue if they are hunting or have any plans to check in. Oh well, I still know we got this thing. I will have my buck scored here asap...got a feeling quite a few of you are gonna start dropping some bucks and then if we all can drop a mid-season or late season doe BAM, freezer full and our title retained!

13. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck Ty. I'm heading back out west for another week to chase a buck. Rifle season starts Saturday so if I don't get one killed before that hopefully the rifle guys send one my way. Hunting with a couple other buddies on his land so little pressure and 3 bow hunter's not pushing anything off. Good luck to everyone still trying to down one.

14. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well with close to 3 weeks of hunting hard I officially got my butt handed to me. Out at the farm I was able to see crooked brow 4 different times but the only time he came in close enough was after dark. Absolutely no sign of turkey foot and last Friday seen one of the other good 8 in the distance. Headed down to Ohio for the past weekend and was able to see a couple decent bucks but nothing I wanted to pull the trigger on. My buddy had some things pop up so wasn't able to hunt some of the better spots but twice. Sunday night I had high hopes until I noticed a trespasser come in at 5 and set up in a climber 70 yards away from me. Called my buddy and told him, he was all packed up and about to climb down to deal with it till I called him back and told him lets stick out the night since he was in a climber and wasn't going anywhere any time soon. Hung up with him and not 2 min later he called me back saying he smoked a pig. I don't know what he would score but he is big. Came back home Monday hunted the farm in the evening and checked a few cams to realize the deer have pretty much cleared out. Pulled all the cams and put a few up at the different properties I can hunt. Not expecting anything real good but you never know. Gun season comes in on Sunday so thing will be shutting down. I'm going to stick after it and make some trips to the public land I shot my deer at last year but not sure what will happen. Really banking on the future trips to Ohio to put a good buck down. Probably after Sunday I will be trying to put a doe down around the house though.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    This afternoon I'll be up the same stand I had a big group of does come in Sunday, but used a trail I didn't expect and by the time I had ranged only a fawnling presented a shot.

If like last time I'll be covered in deer last 30 minutes...just hope I get a shot at one. I have decided to hold off buck hunting other states....but I am thinking of some late season scouting trips armed with just a cam, get to know some spots and decide for 2016.

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    As some of you know....50 points down boys. Shot went through one lung high and opposite than lodged in off shoulder....she made it all of 30 yards from shot, died 54 yards in front of stand in same line Junior took (the buck I shot last week).
    2015-11-11-20-08-31[1].jpg

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Edited first post in team thread...is this right so far:

almightynut - Yet to connect
    bloodrunner13 - Yet to connect
    Bootlegger - Doe - 50 points & Fergie Buck - 50 points
    coheley665 - Yet to connect
    JLS - Doe - 50 points & Buck - 132 5/8
    Matt - Doe - 50 points
    Mo Bow Hunter - Yet to connect
    NebBowhunter - Yet to connect
    pick00l - Yet to connect
    REMYNGTON - Doe - 50 points
    Rick James - Yet to connect
    tynimiller - Buck - Yet To Get Score & Doe - 50 points

2015 TOTAL: 432 5/8 POINTS *does not include Ty's buck

18. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Team -

Last night ended the PA archery season. I hunted the last 7 hunt-able days in a row. All but 1 being all day sits. Neglecting family, work and all other priorities! Out the door at 4:30 every morning. This should have been an amazing week with lots of big bucks and even doe. It ended up being a very large disappointment.

Unlike the last several years hunting the last week in PA, the buck in my main area were showing 0 signs of rut. In fact, they are just starting to really put scrapes out. I hunted hard with little to show. Saw a few smaller buck. Passed on a smaller 8 pointer last Thursday.

There are plenty of tracks, plenty of very large rubs in all the good areas but, no chasing does. Oddly, I did not see any does until I kick one walking around yesterday.

It was not just me, at times where were 4 or 5 others guys there...almost no deer sightings. They seemed to be in lock down waiting on rut to kickin.

I will be back to hunting doe in late archery season and might even take one in rifle with my xbow if one shows up behind my house. I think I will be able to bring in some meat and points then.

Good luck to the rest who are still at it!

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    In case not everyone knows Nick (Coheley665) dropped a buck yesterday...

....with his boom stick :sad:

Congrats bud, like I said I think it is just a sign a bow kill is near.

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So are all seasons closed? Or is there still rifle/muzzle loader options?