Ohio Rut?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by jdubz226, Nov 5, 2015.

1. jdubz226

jdubz226 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im just curious how many ohio bowhunters are on here and what you guys are seeing? I missed a huge buck on opening day and havent seen or caught much on camera other than a few smaller bucks. Thoughts?

2. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm an ohio hunter and I haven't seen much. On October 20th had a little buck not chasing the does but only following him. Also had a couple little bucks at another spot that had their necks swollen up on the 28th

3. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Things are picking up. A week ago I watched bucks bumping does around but no full on chasing. With the cold front hitting this weekend, I'd be in the stand. This should be a good week.

4. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of new bucks showing up on camera. This weekend should be good!

I watched this guy make a scrape at 55 yards on Halloween, then he came a little closer the next morning.
    DSC_0821.jpg

5. jdubz226

jdubz226 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck airenlow. Those brow tines are huge. Im heading to the stand in the morning. Loving that the cold front came!$$

6. mt fighter

mt fighter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Missed a good eight point tonight after calling it in with some bleats. It was my first time ever having a shot with my bow so I probably wasn't as patient as I should've been and my dumba$$ didn't range find so I think it was closer than I thought. Probably missed high. Frustrating but ya live and learn I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. jdubz226

jdubz226 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been there mt fighter. U have to just keep pushing. Persistance pays off. I missed this year also on my first hunt of the year.

8. mt fighter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep only second season hunting with bow after finally getting s spot to hunt. Been shotgun hunting longer and killed several. So this was first time having a shot. Just taking the positives out of it. Didn't get busted with scent of my draw. And the call seemed to work. So next time I'll use my range finder that was sitting right next to me lol. It was exciting but needless to say didn't sleep well last night. Can't wait to get back out.

9. mt fighter

Dislikes Received:
    Also good because he didn't run off after I missed. He heard it hit and run about ten yards. Then hung around for twenty minutes as I tried to get him back in but eventually went off. But Pretty sure he didn't get spooked so hopefully he will come back

10. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    So what type rut activity is everyone seeing? Sunday I watched a button buck breed a doe for over 2 hrs and had plenty of deer moving all day.

11. jdubz226

jdubz226 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't seen much activity at all. Since they took the nearby cornfield down the hunting has been as slow as molasses on a january morning. Just a few small bucks. Been catching coyotes on cam so that might be the reason

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been struggling in SW Ohio but I'm starting to see some activity. This past weekend I had a young buck pushing a few does but not exactly chasing them yet. I have a young buck coming through like clockwork and plenty of does moving around but still haven't seen any mature bucks. Like the others have said, this cold front this weekend might be just what we need. I have almost 70 hours in the stand so far this year and it's about time to start using that vacation!!

13. Bussy684

Bussy684 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been out hunting every night for the past 2 weeks. I seen some really nice bucks the first week of November ( when it was up in the 70s) seen 2 shooter bucks chasing the same doe. Since then I have just seen some smaller bucks dogging does. I checked my cameras the other night and normally I was getting 2 mature bucks coming through a lot. They haven't been past my camera since the 4th of November. I personally think in my area which is in central east Ohio is that they are locked on a hot doe and breeding.

14. mt fighter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang. Definitely not the case here in west Ohio. Haven't really seen or heard of any chasing yet let alone locked down

15. mt fighter

Dislikes Received:
    Rut is on lol. Deer all over the place this morning including at least three big old bucks chasing does. Of course none wanted to come anywhere close to where I was and stayed on other side of the field but still it was fun to watch.

16. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy because I've been seeing a lot of rut activity until this morning when I got skunked.

17. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saw 12 deer this morning. 10 doe 2 bucks. Bucks were sparring. Had my first response to rattling this morning too. Rattled in a nice 9 point but he wouldn't come out of the timber to the field.

18. mt fighter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah saw about 15 total with 4 bucks. 3 of which were mature big bucks.

19. Bussy684

Bussy684 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't seen a mature buck for about a week now. Seen lots of little basket rack running does but no biggins yet.

20. mt fighter

Dislikes Received:
    Another epic fail. Two in a week. Had probably same buck as last Monday about 120 out. A doe came to corn pile I had 20 yards in front of me. He was slowly coming toward her. She was straight on so when she turned a little I went to draw so I could be ready if he came in or if she went to leave I was gonna take her to get that first bow kill finally. Well apparently release wasn't all the way set or something because I went to draw and it released and arrow clanged off stand and fell to ground. They ran about 100 yards looked back and then walked off. So two rookie mistakes in a week. Really gonna haunt me if I don't get one this year. Only good thing is it wasn't the buck standing 20 yards form me when I did this and they didn't make me. Just fled at the noise. But didn't see me or get my scent so spot should be good. Hopefully I can get back out before the rut ends as its good action right now.