***The Mighty Bucks - Team 14***

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by ATbuckhunter, Aug 16, 2015.

1. ChrisSchwarz

ChrisSchwarz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

LOL I was looking at the body and going small deer or big dude....the rack was throwing me off. BIG DUDE! Congrats buddy.

I should have my score in on Monday I hope. The head is in dads freezer and I am hunting again this weekend for three days.

Dad shot a nice 8 this morning.

2. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He was probably 200 lbs live weight.

20151101_085144.jpg

3. ChrisSchwarz

Dislikes Received:
    score sheet.jpg

Between Airenlow and myself we should add 241 3/8 ths to our score card?

That will take us up to 532 1/4 second place for know. :)

Will be out for a doe in Dec as we are going to let it turn into a sanctuary through the rifle season.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That'd be great!

Hoping to add to the board tomorrow on my all day sit! Bucks only yet since I wont shoot a doe for a while yet.

5. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting out this weekend as well. Going to be in a tree all day! Would love to take either of the two big ones we have pics of[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well im hoping to add some points to the board this weekend. Hung a new stand on the property that im hoping will result in a harvest. Haven't harvested something in a while so im pretty excited. Saw more deer in one morning on this property than I have on trail cam on the property I normally hunt.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good job guys, keeping us in easy striking distance. As far as I know, we have not had anything killed on any of the ranch or my properties so everything I've posted pics of in the past is still running around on the hoof...as far as I know.

We have rain moving in this afternoon, I'll try to get out more here over the next few days. Between still working in crop and helping take care of my dad who is still not doing all that great...I've just not had a lot of time and energy to do much hunting so far this year. Deer activity is really ramping up now though so maybe what little time I have to spend hunting will be more fruitful.

8. ChrisSchwarz

Dislikes Received:
    Hang in there. Good things happen to people who care. I wanted to go hunting Saturday night (day before I shot mine) but the wife and her girlfriend wanted to go apple picking up north overnight. Well her husband has neuropathy really bad and cannot hardly walk or do much. So I spent Friday night cooking dinner, Saturday for lunch and made dinner again Saturday night so she could go.

Karma only takes a little bit and sometimes takes a little longer....but good karma is always there.

9. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I had some great action tonight seeing 7 bucks and 6 does. Needless to say I have lost a nice buck. I am sick to my stomach and will be going back out again tomorrow to look more and hope for good luck. He was walking a good distance away from me and a nice snort wheeze he came on a straight line to me. I shot him at 30 yards and he ran about 30 yards holding up his left leg. I can not find my arrow and did not see my arrow in him. I hate evening hunts because it is hard to follow little sign. He then walked around another buck keeping him away from his does for about 30 minutes. He then walked around in the field for another 30 minutes with his does but walking on all legs like nothing was wrong. I don't know if he is dead or not. My buddy thinks he is just wounded so I hope to see him in the morning. Here are some other bucks that are on the property that I got pictures of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ALSO I went duck hunting on the 5th morning since I have not been seeing any deer. Looks like they can read my mind!

11. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That green gate behind the buck is the gate that leads into a pasture. My stand is 5 yards from that gate in the pasture.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he was walking around on all legs for thirty minutes and still acting like nothing had happened then I seriously doubt he's mortally wounded. Sounds like you just nicked a leg.

13. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had 150 class Buck at 5 yards at sun up got in without me seeing him from blind spot! Waited till he was facing away and heard me draw back! End of that story!

14. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All I've seen is one coyote

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see why I wounded buck now too! Deflection off small branch! That makes me feel a little better about myself but I really hate losing deer or wounding them!

16. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seen two! I have one blowing upwind now so I wonder if yote was in last night.

17. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I set up the Carbon Knight for my wife...the first step to getting her in a blind with me. We headed out to the range today and find out she can't draw 50lbs. Almost, but not quite. I'll have to see if my dad can order some 50# limbs for that bow...

18. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well unfortunately I have some bad news. I got into my stand about 30 min late today which made me a little ticked and i was beginning to think i wasn't going to see anything. Well about 7:55 my dad (who decided to come into the tree next to mine) said he sees a buck coming down the trail. It was a scenario I thought could happen which would give me a perfect shot. He followed the script to the T and gave me a 22 yard shot that was slightly quarter two. I aimed at the leg and let the arrow fly and saw the arrow hit exactly where i wanted...only problem was that i only got a few inches of penetration. I saw I didn't get the best penetration and decided to go back to the car and give it some time. When I started trailing the deer, I noticed the blood was bright pink w/ some bubbles but it was lighter then i'm used to with the rage BH. Well the deer went into the nastiest thickest part of the property and kept zigg zagging and double backing on its self. After about 300 yards and 4 hours later I decided it was time to call in deer search which is a free service where a trained professional with his dog come out to your property to help you. Well i called them around 11:12 and didn't hear back till 2 just to find out that the only available guy wasn't free until 5. The guy called me and could not have been nicer, and I was looking forward to meeting him and watching the dog work. Well come 5:30 I gave him a call and left a message only to find out at 6:30 that he was part of the voluntary fire dept and was called up for a fire. He was 45 min away from the property so I made the decision to cancel the search so I could make it home. I live an 1:30 min from that property so I had to think of having a safe ride home...even then I drifted off as I was driving. This whole thing is eating away at me but I think I have come to the conclusion that my BH malfunctioned. There is no way that my bow pulling 66 pounds at 28" wouldn't have blown right through that part of a deer. And when I found the arrow and BH...it showed no sight of hitting the leg bone which I originally thought might have happened. Sorry for the long read, I needed some where I could talk about it. Ill post a pick of the arrow when I clean out my car.

19. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you get back there to look?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

20. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Assume you'll be looking tomorrow? It's easy to blame a BH but a quarter to shot with a large expandable isn't the best idea. Good luck.