Where did he go?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by ryansawyer88, Nov 3, 2015.

1. ryansawyer88

ryansawyer88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering you guy's opinions. I had a nice buck that i have on trail cam that dissapeared in september an i have not seen him since.

Just curious if any one else has had this happen? Will he eventually come back?

2. ryansawyer88

ryansawyer88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Actually august 18th was the last time he was around

3. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah that happens, every year for me. Sometimes they come back around. Sometimes you never see them again. Unless you own hundreds/thousands of acres, you never know where they end up.

4. ryansawyer88

ryansawyer88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Its driving me nuts

5. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't blame you. I had one do that to me this year. Haven't ever see him on hoof and not on camera for over a month now. On the plus side, I had a new one move in. There is a good chance that could happen for you too!

Also remember that just because you don't see them on camera doesn't mean they are not there! Taking different routes now. Changed bedding areas etc...

6. ryansawyer88

ryansawyer88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good point. And i had 3 different bucks at one point and they all dissappeared. Havent seen any rubs or anything in the woods yet either. Heres the pic of the one i want to come back

Attached Files:

7. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's part of the fun. Now you have to figure out why he was there, what has drawn him off the land, and if/when he'll be back. I had a nice buck do the same thing. Early Sept, he flew the coop. Most likely, this was due to some city work being done on an easement on the property near his core area. He most likely moved to the cut cornfield not far away. Just a matter of time to see if he comes back or not.

8. aRroW_adDicted

aRroW_adDicted Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It happens where we hunt as well. My dad actually killed a nice buck last year in November about a mile and a half from where we were getting consistent pictures of him in August. Typically once they start shedding velvet their home range starts expanding.

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To those of you that have bucks disappear during the pre-rut what's your doe population like?

We have our homeboy bucks that are regulars, but we maintain a healthy doe population by providing great bedding, food, water, and low pressure. This time of year there's lots of new faces with racks showing up on camera. If you can hold does on your place, those bucks that disappear will come back when the ladies start smelling good. At least that's how it's been working for me.

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep ^^^^^^ Thats what weve relied on in the past. Unfortunately this year our doe pop is low. Coyote infestation. We have killed 5 coyotes on stand so far and seen a bunch more! We have actually elected to pass all does. On the other end weve had pics of about 8 or 9 bucks on 100 acres in september. Two were "Shooters" (i hate that word) but for lack of a better term. They are now ghosts. Most likely cruising elsewhere where the doe population is better.

11. ryansawyer88

ryansawyer88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My doe population is great we have at least 2 different groups of doe that come every night. Nothing has changed just no bucks. I have been using doe esterus even though its early just to see if it would lure a buck in. Have also tried rattling and calling with no luck. Still waiting to see any signs what so ever.

12. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    a mature buck knows every doe group in a large area. he's taken inventory and is waiting for the right time to check those areas.
    if he's still alive, there is a GREAT chance he'll be back at some point.

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of bucks will change their location about the same time that they shed their velvet. They have a kind of summer range and then move into their Fall/Winter areas. In my opinion, they hang out in bachelor groups in the summer and stay away from the does. Once the hormones start stirring, they start breaking up the bachelor groups and start hanging out more with the does. Find the does, and you many find that buck. Or, you may be "swapping" bucks with neighboring land.

14. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get frustrated anymore. I expect this to happen every year. They go hard horned and the go looking for girls, just like when you get hard horned you'd like to cruise for girls.

15. OH11

OH11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My neighbor is probably thinking the same thing, but that's because I shot him the second weekend in October :chewy: But seriously though, it's not uncommon at all and it happens to me almost every year. Bucks leave and new ones come around. Just keep hunting hard and you never know who will show back up. Things are just starting to heat up out there. Good luck on that buck though, looks like a keeper!

16. ryansawyer88

ryansawyer88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the advice. Definatly a keeper in my books. Hope he comes back

17. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing happened to me great buck loves having his picture taken in September then disappeared, saw him on his feet two weeks ago and got a text from the farmer who saw him Monday night while cutting beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk