Team 4 - HONOVI HUNTERS Official Thread

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Jul 6, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And this is either RD or his son Junior....for some reason the body says RD, but could just be me being hopeful.
    IMAG0014.jpg IMAG0013.jpg

2. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No luck with bucks this morning. Wind not right for the stand I would have liked to be in. Did manage to get a little meat for the freezer. Next 4 days hitting the bucks hard.
    IMG_1200.jpg

3. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Came up with a score of 132 5/8 thanks to all the mass measurements.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work JLS - That's a great buck! Can you get him entered today with the pics?

5. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome deer guys! I'm back from my work trip and ready to hit it hard come Monday. In the next two weeks, I hope to log many hours in the stand waiting for a chance. Will also take a doe if I can get the clean shot and do not feel Mr big is following!

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Had an awesome hunt tonight....had a doe come out at 530 and she fed throughout the corn/alfalfa honestly till dark. Could have shot her a ton of times.

Then had a really mature doe come out with her two offspring, could have shot the big mamma a bunch too...but night felt like a buck.

Had a group of 3 does over 400 yards away in the corn for last hour of hunt.

Then I thought I had a buck, he came down road behind me and initially I thought it was Junior (RD's offspring) but then realized it was a stud 7 pointer that I suspect was a mere 2 1/2 at the oldest. Extremely nice looking young buck that got a pass...bet he'd go 105 or so. Gonna be back on that same property in the morning but not that stand as tough to get too with picked corn field just 22 yards away from it....evening time though I may be back in it again.

7. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like a super awesome sit man. With the way things are heating up, I'm beginning to think that maybe I should have taken this next week off instead of the week of Veterans day. Hoping I didn't misjudge the peak of the rut. If I did oh well it'll still be going on well enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't make it to the stand I hunted last night due to where it is in relation to corn. Hunted and only saw a yearling fork horn, gonna hit that same stand again tonight and PRAY those idiot neighbors don't hunt and walk that road right by stand.

9. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a great couple days hunting. Last night I called a nice 4x4 in from 300 yards. He got to 35 yards but just wouldn't come any closer. Watched 20 some doe feed all night. Bucks are chasing everywhere. This morning I had 2 doe at my stand most of morning. Had a small 4x4 come in a destroy my buck decoy. He was one pissed off buck. A little bigger and he would have been on the ground.

10. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Short update.

Was out Friday evening. Bumped one about 50 yards from my stand which was disappointing, as it was when I first got there, a little after 4pm. Did not see another deer. In fact, I have not actually seen ANY deer from that stand this year. Only bumped two near it. No rubs or scrapes in sight of the stand or within 50 yards.

I did get to establish a camera on a few runs 50 yards from the stand and after having it in the woods for a couple weeks, am happy with a bunch of good bucks passing by in the day light. One of them is a real brute.

Keep at it guys. I have two more weeks to get it done!

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Welp for those not in the group text my season issues just grew more today.

As many may be aware of pops and I lose all but their small 10 acre spot come gun season...landowners and families get gun season on 3 of our properties we have bow solely. Because of this we gained permission from a neighbor few years back near homestead (actually portion butts ours) that is AMAZING spot. It is a pinch between houses and a tall hillside...any deer looking to travel East to West or vice versa will be seen in this stand and boy does it produce sightings.

Pops went over with the rain to check camera there and landowner informed him no hunting this year....totally blindsided us with that one. His wife has never been hunting keen and probably is why but he said we can keep camera up and even stands and ask again next year about hunting....

To make it worse the spot has been visited in the daylight by 4 or 5 shooter bucks pop said within the last week...oh well.

Homestead property has exploded with buck action as well and when wind is right one of us must be there. Pops said last two days 4 bucks he'd shoot came through plot during light....2 of which he said he knows I'd shoot too.

I'll either be there myself tomorrow evening or back trying to down a Swamp Property buck at last light again.

Keeping positive but another knock sucks...however that is the life of being dependent on others graces to hunt.

Will be out tomorrow and hopefully will have a buck down!! Good luck everyone!

12. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not team or archery related but I had a great weekend and thought I'd share!

This past weekend was our youth firearm season and my daughter once again downed a nice buck. She was just about to give up when this guy stepped out in the last 1/2 hour of the season. I grunted him to about 20 yards and he put a heck of a shot on him. Wish he hadn't been so broke up but she was thrilled with him and that's all that matters :)

We always host an extra youth hunter and this years was the most challenging/rewarding that we've had. When we were first asked if we could help this young lady and told that dad is in a wheelchair, we knew that we had our work cut out for us. We managed to get them into a pretty good spot even though we had an inch of rain just in time for opening morning :(

They ended up seeing deer all day long and missed a couple of chances on a really good buck. At the end of opening day, she finally got her chance and made the shot count on her first even deer.

I couldn't have been happier with the help I had in getting the father/daughter pair out so they could share her first hunt. It's very rewarding and if any of you ever find yourselves in a position to help others hunt ....... you should definitely try it!!

Attached Files:

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Some of you know, Pops did it yesterday morning at first light. This buck is gonna be highlighted in a write up but I'll condense it some here for sake of post:

We lost a good friend (very close to Pops) last year July to cancer. He was a big outdoorsman, and in his younger days after serving in the Marines he would go hunt antelope and mule deer a lot out west (I inherited his .257Roberts at a friend price, with the promise to use it someday out there for him). He also loved whitetail hunting with his old crossbow...

Al basically gave the crossbow more or less to Pops, but asked that he use it at least one time on a buck before hanging it up. Pops tried all last year but never got a good chance...then yesterday happened. The crazy thing about yesterday is it was All Saints day...and my parent's small group was the focus of a video shared at church centering around how their small group had help Al's wife get through the loss of her husband and the change they'd had on him.

Pop's arrowed the buck at 7:02 in the morning and watched it run off. He wasn't sure about the hit so backed out and he decided to come to church, watch the video and then together we'd go search for "Al's" deer.

We found next to zero blood, but followed tracks and seriously maybe half dozen drops of blood before finding the arrow 30 yards from the shot along a hinged cut path...only about 14 inches of penetration...was not looking good. Lost blood on the path but started walking to the "Y" up ahead and Pops said the magic words, "There he is Ty!"

It was an awesome moment, and I'm not sure if people in heaven can look down or not, but I got a feeling Al was smiling from ear to ear.

It ain't the biggest buck my father has taken, isn't the most mature...but this deer is by far the biggest trophy we've ever taken off the Homestead property period.

Dan from the board here (Bloodcrick) had made us a engraved rock with his name...of course it and his crossbow had to be in the pictures...

20151101_131810[1].jpg
    20151101_131904[1].jpg

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'm so mad I could of thrown my bow from the stand. I just walked all the way to my furthest stand. Got up in the tree. Pulled my bow up....NO quiver!!!!! I left it at the house. lol. Just wasn't meant to hunt this evening I guess. Wow!!!!!

Sent from my XT830C

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Boot that sucks man!!! Yesterday I did something I've never done.....got to stand and had no release....short walk back though luckily.

Well fellas as I described we lost our best spot this time of year, a natural pinch point between two bedding areas right close to my parent's place. We were allowed to leave camera and stands but can't hunt this year (found out nothing we did, wife just want the deer to have a break this year...smh).

Anyways of course the pull from 10-21-2015 to Halloween afternoon produced this:

IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0129.jpg
    IMAG0140.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0181.jpg

16. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome pics!

Update: I hunted dark to dark on Monday. Did not see a tail...so disappointed. I have shots of bucks in this area in daylight but, nothing there for me. I did get the monster I'm chasing on camera again. Was about 3 hours before light however, within 25 yards of my stand. I'm planning to get out again on Friday and took the entire week off next week to get it done! Woods is starting to come alive with rubs all over the place. Exciting times!

17. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey pick001 where are you hunting dude?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

18. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Quick update on things.SLOW haha. Not things been to bad really. This warm weather did pretty much what I expected and pushed a lot of things to nighttime movement. Seeing a few deer here and there just nothing I want to pull the trigger on. Noticing a lot of fawns by them selves and still a few with momma. Did end up seeing one of the good 8pts Monday evening. He pretty much stayed in one corner of a wood lot going in and out with 3 does all night. Assuming she's about ready. The only corn left here is the corn maze which he will be taking out today. Tonight I will sitting in the stand on the wood lot where I seen the 8 the other night. Another reason I will be sitting there is because for the last two years I have gotten turkey foot on cam there this day. No sign of him since season started but who knows. Really hoping to pull the trigger today or tomorrow and head to Ohio for the weekend. Still unsure on if I will go down there anyways.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Nick I hope he makes it 3 years in a row....but doesn't see a 4th ! :D

As for me I'm trying to decide to take the afternoon off and hunt or not...part time job is one I can call and say can't make it pretty much whenever but with the heat and such I'm thinking tomorrow is gonna be when activity starts to re-vamp....we shall see.

Also JLS do you by chance have Almightynut and Bloodrunner's addresses from last year when you collected them for prizes?

20. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting closer. Went out for the first 2 hours this morning. Just after day break, I had a good buck pass my left side however, never turned down the run I am on...kept moving away from me. Was exciting knowing it was a good buck and I was ready!