Lone Wolf climber users, I have a question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha, mine are the same way.

I agree about the tweak to accommodate larger trees. I love my LW stands but I am not so blinded I think they are perfect. I am not a fanboy of anything. I will use whatever I think is best not something because of a certain brand name.

I am guilty of not checking the date. I usually try to avoid responding to outdated threads other people dig up LOL.

2. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tony, thank you buddy. I appreciate the sentiments. I try my best to be unbiased. Of course I have things I'm partial to for one reason or another. I don't get paid by anyone and don't want to either, to promote something.

The LW is an awesome stand. I love mine. There are things that can be improved upon in my opinion and there are things that it does that simply can't be matched right now.

3. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Coop, sometime when you're bored this fall/winter and the trees are hard as hell try this. Hang the platform on a tree that is large enough that the teeth at the very end are the only ones contacting the tree. Get on the platform and put your weight on it as if you're "setting" it in the tree to hunt.

Where I saw the movement was if I was standing with my back against the tree, and had my feet on each side of the platform as far out as they would go. My heals were close to or almost touching the toe bar on the platform. From that position, which I think isn't uncommon at all if you stand a lot, pick up your one foot as if you're moving or shifting your weight around, for example to turn around. That weight shift, at that moment was creating the rocking.

Again, it wasnt enough to throw me off the stand or anything of that nature. It was enough to get my attention and cause brown stainds in my drawers that morning. Since learning the nuances of the stand better, I haven't had the issue. User error? Maybe.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will and I will let you know my results.

5. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a LW hand climber that I've had for a very long time. I had what you described happen only once, and it is scary. I had the straps too tight, so that they were actually lifting the front of the stand up, which reduces the bite you get into the tree. It was stable as long as my weight was to the front, but when I shifted weight toward the tree, it rocked. My straps are where LW says to put them. Since then I snug the straps firmly, but I never crank them really hard. No problems since.

6. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I sit down and lift up the corner platform with my toe and move it around just a tad until it is sitting where it doesnt want to wobble back and forth when I put weight on one side or the other.. I mostly notice it when Im sitting and put weight on one side or the other.. not so much when Im standing. Once I move it around a tad I dont have a problem with wobble.

7. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you guys upgraded to the longer belts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I did it for the platform due to creek bottom tree bases being so much bigger.

When I bought the LW Wide it & Climb, it also came with the longer belt but I found it to be too long for where I hunt so I traded it out with the smaller one.

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did the same as RCW3D. I have them, and keep them in a storage tote incase I need them, but never used them. They are too long for some of the smaller trees I run into so they have just sat in storage for the past 6-7 years.

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As I said in another thread, I had the platform slip as I was putting weight towards the back...and by slip, I mean 3 feet to where the only reason I stopped was holding on to the seat.....this is how I fixed it...

[​IMG]

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned Summit stands and had the base slip away (they don't come with stabilizer straps to hold the halves together). Luckily I was only about 6 feet up and I just dropped down. I will take a Lone Wolf any day. But we are all different and like different stands.

12. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How small can you go with the wide sit and climb along with the longer belts? I just tend to want to climb bigger trees. There's a plethora of climbable trees in TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk