Help me with Buck Fever

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by doublehelix8, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Rutter

Rutter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I still get it every time I see a big buck. I get the shakes and heart goes into overdrive. I guess for me, I usually only get 1 chance a year at a buck I would wana shoot so when I see one it is so rewarding and I'm really excited. I know all those young bucks I passed on made this chance worth it. My suggestion even though I'm not cured--is to make sure he's a shooter--stop looking at the rack and pretend it's a big doe. But I think "buck fever" is a good thing. Makes me realize how much I love these deer.

2. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heck, wish I was like that with just bucks. I shake, breath weird, and get all excited over any deer I see. I feel the reason am like this is because don't get to see a plethora of deer every time I go out. I am lucky to see one a weekend as I am just not in an area where there is massive numbers of deer.

This is only my 2nd archery season and I find it even worse because I haven't taken a deer with bow yet. Even during gun season, I get super wound up seeing any deer. Every deer is a trophy to me.

3. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get the fever unless I know im going to shoot. When I was a kid I got it real bad and would try to convince myself it was a big squirrel. Lol. Worked back then but now I just make myself think of the routine I need to go through to make the shot and that helps me calm down. Once the arrow is released is when the big shakes start for me.

4. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the responses guys! Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets this way. I will try all this advice.

5. DozRdeer2

DozRdeer2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When "that feeling" goes away, it's time to pick up the golf clubs!

6. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get excited the minute I see a deer, doesn't matter if it is a doe or a P&Y buck. The best way I can explain what I do is to say that I acknowledge the excitement, then I just start to focus on where I want my arrow to hit. By focusing on where I want to shoot, it has a calming effect on me and I'm no longer focusing on the deer itself, only where I want to make the shot. After the shot (or missed encounter), I usually end up shaking like a leaf for a little bit until the adrenaline wears off.

7. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I still get the shakes, got it bad last year when I shot my buck (had the worse case of knee knocking I've ever experienced), but after watching it for 15 minutes I had myself focused and ready when the shot finally did present itself. To be honest though, my heart skips a beat every time I see a deer and shortly after my heart is racing. After a few years of experience I've learned what I need to do to get ready though, I start taking my steps.. First I get to my feet (if I'm not already standing), grab my bow off the hanger (if it's not already in my lap), hook my release and then try to determine the size of the deer and figuring out if it's something I want to shoot. If it is something I want to shoot, I start going through different scenarios that could possibly happen and how I'm going to pull off the shot if a shot presents itself, this is my calming down period when I start to come up with a strategy. For example if it's heading toward a certain shooting lane I will think of what point I'm going to draw my bow on the deer, stopping it and shooting. Then once it's time the shots presents itself I go through the steps I use while shooting my bow and concentrating on my breathing. I first draw my bow, find my anchor point, line up my peep site, level my bow look for a spot on the deer I want to aim for, line up the the required site and shoot.

To be honest though, when it starts to get to the point I don't get nervous and no longer get a rush while hunting, that will be the day I hang it up and take a few years off.

8. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take up golf? :) Enjoy it, that's what all the hard work to get within bow range of big bucks is all about.

9. Edeupree

Edeupree Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had it real bad the first few years I hunted. Then I had a wise sage tell me it's because I'm not use to seeing them. So he suggested I sit in a stand in the off season when I can't shoot them. Just to get use to seeing deer move around with me in the stand. It worked now I don't even pick my bow or rifle up until I've decided that I'm shooting the deer.

10. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep it simple. Is he wide enough, is he tall enough...then quit looking at the horns. The feeling should never go away.

In the morning I will be running around the house. Great idea Powerhawk!

11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I start shaking whenever I see a deer in the stand. But as soon as I'm at full draw I'm just focusing on the shot and trying to make it count.

12. wibowhunta

wibowhunta Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The feeling u have is awesome hope it never goes away but they are right DONT rush the shot also practice while breathing hard run a little and get the heart pumping then take some shots and you should be fine until u calm down don't shoot over 25 yards