Apollo 13 - Team 13

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by dmen, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! Congrats on the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice 8pt

3. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning and got busted on the way to the stand. Only other morning hunt I did at this spot I got busted, it's easier to get into in the afternoon. Set up, questioning whether I should have picked this spot and no action. That is till about ten after eight. Three does came in to my right and went directly behind me and on out. Then five minutes later I hear grunting. He comes out I'm turned to my right but can't get a shot. I turn completely around on the other side of the tree and spine shot him at twelve yards. Not as big as Hawk's 8pointer but I'm happy with him. I've got my Ohio hunting coming up in a little over a week. Thee deer are starting to move boys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright here's the story. Went to one of our morning spots where we had 3 or 4 shooters. We hadn't laid eyes on any yet but we knew they were in there. I had to self film since my hunting partner had work this morning. I have been hunting since the Ohio opener on September 27 and have only seen 1 shooter on his feet and I wasn't even hunting that evening. So needless to say things had been rough. This morning when I woke up there was a different feeling. I felt reenergized and ready to go. Got in the stand at 6:00 and was setup by 6:30. I bumped 2 deer on the way in but they didn't bust out. They kind of just meandered away. It was dead quiet this morning and I could hear deer walking in the woods and the corn fields. The sun came up and offered some amazing shots for footage. Around 9:00 I decided to get aggressive. I hit the rattle bag and did some aggressive grunts. I was about to sit down when I looked down the cornfield and saw him coming. He was already at 60 yards when I saw him. Usually the deer continue around the corn and present us with a 40 yard broadside shot. Well he decided to cut across the fence row and into the other corn field which gave me a 20 yard severe quartering to shot. Normally I don't like this shot but at 20 yards I felt very confident. I settled the pin and let it go. He whirled around and I could see the arrow sticking out. I got about 1/2 an arrow of penetration. After a few seconds I heard some crashing in the corn and thought he was down. I did my post shot interview and got down to look for blood. Couldn't find any at the impact but found some up the corn row a ways. Turns out he only ran about 80 yards and died. I haven't scored him yet but I am thinking mid 120's right now. Hopefully he makes P&Y but even if he doesn't he is still my best bow buck and I self filmed him to boot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats guys on two nice bucks!

Just to play devils advocate Hawk, your buck is not legally tagged LOL. Just mention it because a friend got fined last year for that

6. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go guys, we are on a roll.

7. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah well they can take that rule and shove it you know where. I can't believe they would fine someone who buys a license for not putting the tag in the ear.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it is an asinine rule for sure. They said any taxidermist can fix the slit in the ear. It wasn't a big fine, like $40 or something. But still ridiculous.

9. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    wow nice bucks boys!!!! Team 13 starting to get some points up there. I came on to report I will be heading into the deer woods tomorrow morning. First time since I shot the doe! Haven't checked cams or anything since so hoping for a surprise. That crazy weather from Mexico is making its way up here, apparently Wednesday is going to be storms and wind. So I am hoping the deer move tomorrow in the calm before the storm. Lets see how it goes!

10. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I scored him at 107 2/8. Hope I did that right. In the moment I think I thought he was a little bigger but no complaints.

11. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't complain either. Congrats again man.

13. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    just finished scoring mine. 121 7/8

14. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice boys! Stand is pretty uneventful this morning. I had high hopes for this stand. I've only sat in it opening day and now today. I stayed away as camera was not showing good results. I'm surprised as I had a ton of pics all summer and even in September.

15. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bucks
    Congrats to both
    Gonna start getting crazy round here
    I feel a sick day coming Friday

[​IMG]

16. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey boys! So after my morning hunt. I probably made a cardinal sin but I couldn't help my self. I went for a walk around this area.

[​IMG]

So the orange circle is the ATV trail, about 8' wide. The blue one is a deer trail that cuts through the woods. I didn't touch the deer trail, but I did a full circle of the atv trail around 9:30 am I assumed everything would be laying low by then.

So on my walk I noticed 3 scrapes, as clear as day. Our ground is already pretty frozen on the surface. These spots were all clear of leaves and twigs, hoof marks in the dirt, moist and not frozen, broken licking branch above etc. The first one is only 40-50 yards from my stand which is marked with the red dot.

How would you guys hunt this?

17. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would get a camera on the closest scrape to see what bucks are using them. By camera position, you will also get their travel direction, and hopefully daylight pics. Most deer will scent check these from downwind. You need to be there..

[​IMG]

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I planned to hunt today but with 30+ mph winds I bagged it. Hopefully the wind calms down by this evening or overnight at least. We have trees down all over the neighborhood no way I wanted to be up in a tree today.

19. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys...I finally have a buck to go after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Derek I'll expect him down by the end of the weekend. No later lol

I'll be heading in tomorrow morning. I was supposed to go this morning but had some work emergencies to go handle. Let's see how it goes.