Tree stands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt mostly suburban ground in a 10 acre wood lot, and a 2 acre food plot near my house. We also lease about 80 acres in Jo Daviess county IL. The reason I say this, is because I'm curious about climbers. I get that it's portable and whatever, but isn't it loud, obvious, and more work than just setting up a ladder stand before the season? If you are hunting a bedding area, or deer are close by, wouldn't you spook them shimmying up a tree? And hang on stands. Why not just a ladder stand? I have nothing against either one of them, but I'm looking for some info on why someone would use a climber and if it's worth it. Thanks

2. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used a climber for several years. They are kind of a pain. I'm using a hang on stand this year on private land. Climber is more comfortable. The climbers are nice for when I used to hunt public land I did not have to worry about it getting stollen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think there are advantages and disadvantages to all the different types of stands. One of the advantages with a climber is it allows you to be mobile. If you find that hot sign, you can get right on it with minimal intrusion, assuming there's a suitable tree. They also allow you to remove your stand each day if theft is a problem.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's obvious that hanging a stand or setting up a ladder stand that you can leave all season is preferred but that's not always the case if you don't have your own land to hunt. I hunt public land and if I left my stands they would be stolen. Additionally, the law states the stands have to be removed every night. I go in a little earlier and have gotten pretty good at climbing a tree quietly. I really like my Summit climber and have actually climbed down, moved my stand 40 yards and been right on the path of deer I couldn't reach earlier in the day. I like that it is mobile and I don't have to hunt the same exact spot all the time.

I also use Lone Wolf hang on stands that are very portable and can usually be set up in 15-20 minutes.

5. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    basically the way I see it is like this...

ladder stands, pros- easiest and quietest setups, sturdy platform to hunt from... cons- heavy and bulky to set up or move, possibility of theft cause normally left in the woods, not adjustable for height depending on area hunted.

hanging stands, pros- light, once set up very quiet in and out, sturdy platform to hunt from, easy transport to and from, with enough steps infinite height adjustment... cons- noisy and troublesome to set up or move, theft again.

climbers, pros- light, easy in and out, easy to move to new spots, don't have to leave it in the woods so no theft... cons- noisy, noisy, noisy setup and climbing, not as stable a platform unless tree is perfect.

from above info... my choices would be, private land with quad to go in and out: ladder stand... private land hiking in and out: hanging stand... public land: climber or hanging with good cable lock around tree, and take bottom steps out with you...

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know you're young, but bow can anyone think a climber is more "obvious" than a ladder stand. Those things stick out like a sore thumb :) .

I use Lone Wolf climbers and they are quiet and very stable. When hunting public land you can't always leave stands out and if you do the risk of theft is high. Climbers or hang and hunt hang on stands are often better options.

7. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer a climber for mobility. Not very loud at all if ya take your time going up

killed many a deer less than 1/2 hour after setup on 1st sit. I move alot with the deer as they feed on flat's and I like secure feeling of the capture bar on top piece.

If was gonna sit same place all time I'd use a ladder stand. or hangon

8. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It will also depend on the trees available, there are areas that a climber just won't work...you need relatively straight trees with no branches, even then they can't be too big.

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I am making an all day sit, I will take my climber 100% of the time over my ladder stands (comfort factor). I have one spot that has two trees about 4 ft apart. The straight one I leave for my climber for all day sits and the other tree I have a ladder stand in for when I can only hunt a couple hours. Also like pointed out, mobility if you have the right kind of trees for a climber.

10. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A hang on is far less trouble to set up than a ladder stand. Someone with climber experience can get up and down a tree without hardly making a sound.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I would completely disagree with that. Maybe getting it to and from a location, but not the actual setting up in my opinion.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. A hang on and climbing sticks allow you greater flexabilty.

13. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an older summit viper. After you get use to using it and learn how to use it you would surprise yourself how quite you can be with it. The loudest part is attaching it to the tree if your trying to hurry. If you take your time it virtually is pretty quite. Once i'm on the stand and ready to climb up I can go go up with very little noise at all. I've had deer come running in once I was only 7-8 feet up and never knew I was their. I preceded to climb up very slowly and they still never heard me.

Practice practice practice......