Need advice on hunting a rub line.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by doublehelix8, Oct 22, 2015.

1. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have be scouting my property and I have finally found my first rub line. Something has been tearing up some decent sized cedars. My problem is that this line of tree is only about 20 yards wide with fields on both sides. Its basically a safety timber travel area between two soybean fields. I cant decide how to set up on this since I have no idea which way the buck is coming from. Wind where I hunt is 75% of the time out of the Northwest. I can only really set up about 10 yards away from the rub line. Is that too close? Should I not set up a lone wolf at all? I figure if I can hunt in on a steady south or north wind he might not wind me.

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    sound like a classic funnel. give it a week and hunt it.
    most of my shots are 10-20 yards.

3. doublehelix8

Dislikes Received:
    Alright! I got super pumped when I found some huge deer scat also. I will set up a lone wolf in the rain this Saturday. Do you think Sunday the 24th is too soon for an all day hunt if the wind is right? Its supposed to rain that day.

4. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Funnel for sure but it also could all be done at night. My recommendation would be to set up where that neck reaches a bigger woodlot and try to figure it out from there. Most likely one end or the other is where he beds.

5. doublehelix8

Dislikes Received:
    I would try this approach but where the neck reaches a larger wood lot its just to thick to get a shot off. Not thick as in ground briars and such (bedding material) but there are not actual shooting lanes made. I haven't really prepped this area very well, bad on my part a know. I'm still new to buck hunting and did all I could to prepare other areas earlier this year. This little funnel has a HUGE field to the south of it and to the north of it is a small field about 50 yards across with thick bedding area on the other side. There is small single tree line that runs in the middle of the 50 yard field so its broken up even more. I think he is bedding in that timber across the 50 yard field. I also found a pretty decent sized scrape on the 50yrd field side of this funnel. I am going to set up 40 yards down from the scrap which is about 10 yards away from the rub line and wait for a north wind.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect funnel pinch point. Have a stand about 10 yards into the timber at each end and depending on the wind, hunt the stand that gives you the best wind advantage. If you use a climber, just go to the side that provides the best wind. 10 yards isn't to close in my opinion, most of my stands are setup that close to a trail on purpose.

7. doublehelix8

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg

Here is a photo of the area. The bottom line is where the rub line is and the top area I believe is the bedding area.