***Heart Shot Heroes - Team #3 Thread!!****

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I only ended up going out Saturday morning, and passed on a small buck. I went out last night and had one of the best hunts ever on my property! As soon as I sat down I saw a doe coming in with two fawns, crunching on acorns. They passed by at 15 yards perfect shooting opportunity, but I hate orphaning fawns, especially if mommas popping out two every year, and given the lack of deer activity I've seen this year. Then an hour later i was in the another doe and two fawns came walking in eating acorns, I thought they were the same at first until I saw they were two button bucks. I said ok now I don't feel bad I'll shoot this doe. Slowly stood up grabbed my bow, the deer kept looking behind them so I thought it could be a big boy coming in, but it turned out to be ANOTHER doe with two more fawns..so now I was kicking myself for not shooting the first chance. Then it got ghetto real quick, the does started fighting over the acorns and even the fawns were chasing each other! My phone vibrated and it was my son texting me saying s doe and two fawns were in the side yard at the apple tree..I shook my head and smiled. Looks like my deer population is just fine!! With my bow in hand I waited for the right opportunity to draw. But the trophy hunter in me said..."don't ruin this area before the rut" so I let them all walk:fight there way outta there. Great night in the woods!
    I'll be heading out this weekend, not sure what days yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Joe that's great that you had some sign again. I've been talking to various hunters in my area and it seems the deer just haven't been moving. Then the ones that do move are super spooky.

With that being said, I had adult life to tend to last night (a meeting) and couldn't go sit in the woods. My husband said it was the BEST sit in his stand is a long time. He saw eight deer. Three shootable bucks, a four point, a spike, and a mamma and two fawns. The three mature bucks all were within' 20 yards - in a spot he can't get an arrow through!! Unfortunately these were all opposite direction of my stand - but I am hoping that means something for me. I am going out tonight after work. We had 3-5 inches of snow Saturday-Sunday. Freezing yesterday morning then got up to 50. Supposed to get up to 68 today - so I'm not sure if that is too good, but we'll see.

3. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    opening day was a chilly 21' in AM... no activity yesterday AM though... went in yesterday afternoon... had a nice doe come in... she was acting goofy.. then down the ridge came a 6pt... grunting like crazy... came in to 20 yards after bumping her... I drew... put the pin on him.... and whiffed! Shot right over his back... no idea what I did.
    He took a few bounds and stopped behind a blow down... doe just walked around under me for a few more minutes... he started coming back in. I had another brief shot opportunity, but the doe was right under me and I did not dare draw... he circled downwind, got a whiff of me and just turned and left...
    Ugh... makes me so angry!

4. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy was blessed enough to take this old beast off of State Land in CT this past Saturday... green scored 164.25" and dressed 216lb... very happy for him.
    JIM CT STATE LAND BUCK.jpg

5. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    headed out this afternoon to same spot I sat last pm... been a decent 8 point and a few small bucks on the cam. I may shoot a "Fergie" buck at this point as I need some meat.

6. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    We are getting to this point, too. Granted, we have a point restriction (three high one side) - but we need meat. Husband is going to hold off a few more days for a big buck (he is off work for a little bit between jobs) - but I was given the go ahead for any doe.

7. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like some good action guys! I will be able to go out for a sit tomorrow afternoon. We'll see what that opportunity presents.

8. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Went out tonight. Nothing until about ten minutes to dark. Had three come in. Two does and a spike. Drew on a doe at ten yards but it was just too small. (A yearling) watched it rome around until dark when all three exited. Had two more big bodies come in about then but no clue what they were. So, could have scored...but she needs more time to grow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

9. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like the action may be heating up for you Kristen!!!

I saw a pic of that big ol CT buck the other day on facebook, what a cocker!!

The earliest I'll be in my stand is Thursday. I'm working a 16 hour shift right now, 10pm until 2pm tomorrow afternoon. I gotta be back in here at 10pm tomorrow night, so my afternoon will be spent dreaming I am in my stand!

10. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah.. been all over NEBBC etc... Jim is a great guy... He is a great hunter and am very happy for him for connecting w/ that monster. He deserves it for sure.

Went out last night... had one come in at dark... no idea what... got pretty warm... over 50 this am... was 21 Monday am... strange weather. I don't think i'll be getting out again until Sat PM.. Gonna take my girlfriend to see if she can't connect on her first deer.

11. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Our weather is strange, too. We got 5 inches of snow Saturday-Sunday, freezing temps Monday morning - then it was 70 yesterday and supposed to be again today. It'll go down to the 50s by the end of the week.

Action is certainly starting to increase. I really thought about trying to connect on that doe. I drew back, it was at 10 yards. But when it lifted it's front leg and started licking it - it really made me realize how tiny she was. I put my bow down and just watched. I was happy to think these three deer were within 10-20 yards and I didn't alert them I was there.

12. Thwack1

Thwack1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg
    Went out today to check on the progress of the new outbuilding/ apartment we are building out on our 40.this is the 3rd pic I've had of this guy and a couple were in the am. He is def at the top of the list. The corn is down all around and the action is really picking up. I can't wait to see what the rut brings. And I now have a stand to sit in that corner in case my buddy starts showing up in daytime again. Think maybe all the heavy equipment has pushed some of the smarter deer to a night time schedule but I'm hoping the rut brings them back on the day schedule. Gonna head out tomorrow despite the warm weather and maybe try and shoot a doe

13. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    Hell of a buck Thwack!

I'm headed to Randolph County Nov. 6th. My father heads out next Thursday for two weeks! I can't wait to get out there.

14. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if I can make it out this weekend or not. I'd really like to spend some time with my wife with my trip coming up. I'll keep you guys updated, and hopefully I can bring home at least 130 points from Illinois!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck, Thwack. Warm weather just had them moving right before dark - here. Good luck!

I want to go out tonight, but I usually go eat dinner with my Grandparents on Thursdays. Really think I'll go do that - although action is picking up. Dinners will only last so long before they're gone.

Joe, getting excited to leave yet?

16. Thwack1

Thwack1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hopped in a ground blind tonight along a main trail on the edge of the beans. Gonna see if I can get after a doe tonight. It's 69 out though so I dbout I'll see much. A bad day hunting beats a good day working any day!

17. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMAG0214.jpg look who decided to show up.

18. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look who decided to show up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    That buck is a STUD Austin!!!! I love those split G2 and G3! Looks like a buck I lost out in IL last year, he had split G2's and was tall like that. Hopefully you get an arrow in him soon!

I scouted out behind my house today. I built it this summer and moved in at the end of August. Crazy amount of oak trees, and it's pretty thick out there. Hung a camera up so we will see what comes through. I know there is deer there as I've had them about 30 yards off my back lawn. Gotta scout across the road now.

20. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    wow... now that is a slammer!!!! Put an arrow in him!!!!