Coyotes

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Oct 17, 2015.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll add, I shoot with a firearm too whatever that may be.

A shotgun blast does not have the effect on deer most people think. I used to be in that same category, until I sat in a stand watching deer feed one day with a couple people sighting in rifles 50 yards away. The deer would flinch every few shots, but never got concerned. Still have the video, I flinched more than the deer did.

On that same token, I pulled off the road to glass a buck i a field avout a 1/2 mile away. After about 10 seconds he put tail up and ran. They have a sick sixth sense on when they are being watched I guess.

2. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why such a careless shot on a coyote but not a deer? Still taking the life of something. Shouldn't want to see anything suffer from a poor shot. Those guys that are saying 80 yard shots on coyotes, would you take that on a deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I took a similar shot with my crossbow on one 2 Saturday's ago.

I have no respect for the vermin. None, nada, nope and not gonna happen..... ever.

There's certain things in life that their life doesn't matter. A coyote fits that description for me. Bring the population in check and I will change that view 100%, but until then the only way to achieve that is to eradicate their population.

Love it or hate it, that is my truth on the matter. Coyote's are not just one breed, they are mutts that have bred with strays and created totally different packs.

4. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    We are seriously overpopulated with deer in Md, can I take that same view?

Or do I owe it to the animal?

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If they are truly overpopulated the numbers have to be controlled.

Usually though they bring in sharp shooters hired by the state to hunt fields ar night.

Any animal that has a population out of control needs contained.

Do you trap a mouse in your home? Is one really too many?

6. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    They do have sharpshooters all over the area I live. They bring them in to public parks and take our hundreds. Still not even making a dent in the deer population.

We don't have a coyote problem here so maybe I'm just not seeing the point of taking those ridiculous shots.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of two things happen. The coyote is hit, or the coyote is missed but learns maybe it should stay away from that area.

I don't think there is any denial across the US that coyote's are very well populated. Do we let them become the next carrier of the plague? Rats did so first, squirrels are carriers now in certain places. Wouldn't take much for the next carrier to come about. Although I haven't studied the science behind becoming a carrier.

Either way, coyote's are in desperate need of being controlled.

8. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Straight from that same article...

9. blackxpress

blackxpress Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look, MOGC, b4lieve what you want but if you go back to my original post you will see that I said the same thing as the quote you just posted. "DEER NUMBERS IN BOTH STATES CONTINUED TO INCREASE UNTIL DOE SEASONS AND BAG LIMITS WERE LIBERALIZED." As I said, the only way to balance out fawn predation is to cut back on the doe harvest. It doesn't seem that complicated to me. Maybe some of you guys just like to argue for argument's sake. Whatever the case I'm done with this argument. The data is readily available. Draw your own conclusions. Or not. I guess this will teach me to stop posting and go back to lurking.

10. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry you feel that way. It's a discussion forum... key word "discussion." If you get your feelings hurt every time someone doesn't agree with you life is gonna seem rough to you at times.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  11. blackxpress

blackxpress Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Trust me on this. I know how "discussion" forums work. I've been posting in them since the days of local BBS. One thing I learned a long time ago is that they all have their share of keyboard experts who take every opportunity to argue whether they know what they're talking about or not. My feelings are not hurt. It isn't my information you are disputing. I was merely commenting on the research that others have done and you chimed in with your own uninformed opinion. As Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, "You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts." If you want to dispute the 70% number it doesn't hurt my feelings at all. It isn't my number. I do think it would be more helpful however, if you would offer some actual research to back up your point. That is how meaningful discussions are supposed to work.

12. Marcus LaVallee_007

Marcus LaVallee_007 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You really should have stuck him, dont worry about ruining your hunt, coyotes have really been thinning out the deer population where I am in central MN.