What time of day do you move stands?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by BowhuntOnly, Oct 17, 2015.

1. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just watched the last episode of Bowhunt or Die and thought of a question after seeing the treestand gear used for quick set-up especially during the season. Every season brings on new deer and new sign in the woods.

What time of day do you move your stands during the season?

I know I always try to move stands sometime between 11am and 1pm if possible. I try to check trail cams at this time of day as well. My goal is little noise and disruption to the area as possible.

2. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to do that too, but I have spooked deer at those times. Sometimes I wonder if just setting up between 2-4 might be better. I've made a lot of noise setting stands at four and still had deer walk by at five.

3. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    July......

4. GhostRack

GhostRack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If i have to move during season..same as those times..11..1..if not..sunday..we cant hunt here then..cept this year they gave us two sunday's ..

5. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are only looking at moving stands once a year in the early summer then it means you may not be adapting to on the ground, current situations. There are many times in a season when I have sat there thinking man I need to put a stand over there. For me I do it right around midday. I have heard others mention setting a quick stand in the dark and I can say I've only tried doing that once, other than setting a climber. It was a hang-on with separate sticks and I just didn't feel comfortable doing it in the late night hours. Maybe it works for some but I'd just stick to midday if the opportunity presented itself.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    during season, what ever works when I'm not hunting, usually ends up 10:30-2:00.

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mid afternoon is best since deer are usually bedded down and you usually run the least risk of spooking them. Just don't walk through the bedding area when you go to move it. Where I'm at, anytime after 9am and before 5pm works.

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If its near a bedding area, sorry to say, at night. Helps to have someone w you..... if its near a food source, midday works. If its in between food and bed i think id go with midday.

9. jlong223

jlong223 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I usually do all my scouting and tree stand set ups at around noon during hunting season...

If i cant get out to do it at noon I wait till about 3pm and place the stand then just stay there for the evening... Its also impossible for me to hunt on my work days with the way my schedule is so alot of times ill go the day I have to go back to work after my weekend and set a stand give any deer I might spook time to settle down for a few days while I am working before hunting the new location... not sure if its necessary though

10. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    after morning hunt or before afternoon hunt. don't like stomping around in middle day for no reason.

11. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to do the same after a morning hunt. The deer should be bedded for the day at that point. This doesn't hold true for the rut. Hopefully all my stands are set at that point or I will use my climber.

12. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a midday person as well. Check my cameras at that time too. Doesn't mean I don't spook deer occasionally, just less likely!

Tags: