How do I make a scrape?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by ernmcburn, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm only 13 and I want to get the bucks in... I hunt over bait piles, and was wondering how to make a scrape that is effective. Is it to late? If not I need help because I have no clue. Thanks

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never too late for scrapes. Be very scent conscious when making them (always use rubber gloves and scent control on boots). I've made a few in the past but this year I am having much better luck taking over already existing scrapes and keeping them active than I am with making my own. I use Buck Fever Synthetics forehead gland on the licking branch (<-- huge step) and then I have started them with mock scrape starter before but not sure it's effectiveness. I always pee in the scrapes myself and that seems to work great and is a lot cheaper. A lot of guys on here make and take over scrapes and there are a lot of topics if you do some searches! Location is key when doing all of this too in my opinion.

3. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    wear rubber boot's kick back ground edge of opening (logging road, field, fenceline, etc...) and pee in it. I make several in area then check to see which one they start using. remember to hunt at least 75-100 yards downwind of the scrape. most buck's will circle downwind to check before coming to it. and usually they go at night is 2-5 day's end of oct you can catch em' during day due to moon etc...which is another story. good luck

4. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    See the sticky on this forum (right above this thread on the whitetail deer forum) called "my thoughts and experience with mock scrapes". Read as much as you can, starting at the beginning

5. JackO

JackO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    To keep smell down, I use a stick and scrape the area. Then use a fresh deer urine product.

I'm not sure of peeing in a scrape yourself. Wolves and coyotes mark by peeing and can tell each other apart. I would bet a deer can tell wolf from human from deer pee. At best, maybe they don't recognize it. After all, deer smell your sweat and run and it is very similar in chemical composition.

6. GhostRack

GhostRack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: