I don't get it????

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bowsie15, Oct 9, 2015.

1. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would stick it out, he must know something or has seen a nice buck in the area so maybe karma will be on yalls side for trying to do the right things

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If everyone was expected to go somewhere else if a stand was up I'd just place stands in all the best spots so nobody else would hunt them. Make it almost like private land.

I would have no problem with somebody else having a stand 10 ft from mine as long as they didn't decide to climb into it while I was in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TANGS

TANGS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am an 19 year old kid trying to make it as a serious hunter in Central Minnesota and I couldn't agree with you more on this! For those of you that say "just hunt private land" have you ever tried getting permission for private land? I have seriously talked to over 50 land owners over the past 3 years and every single one has hunters already on it. I have put so much energy into trying to hunt public land and it is nearly impossible to have a good hunt with other people messing it up. Just last week I was already set up in a tree when another hunter drove straight into the state land with his truck before he saw me and decided he should park in the actual parking spot. Then he went to set up in the tree that I usually hunt with a NW wind, but it was blowing East straight into the bedding area. Fast forward about 2 hours, 30 minutes left of shooting light and he decided to walk past my stand when I had 5 deer about 50 yards away. Another hunter decided to hand a stand and leave it in the tree that I usually hunt with a South wind. It's illegal to leave a stand in MN over night. I totally agree that state land is state land and everyone has just as much right to hunt as the next guy, but why should he be able to claim this tree?? I could easily call the game warden to come take it down but I feel like that would be kind of a d*ck move. My outlook on hunting in this day and age is so negative.. I don't even know how to try and take it seriously..

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It sucks, however it is what it is. Unless he's doing something illegal nothing you can do really or expect him to do. I would either move on or slip in for a couple hunts when prime and get out. Some people are flat out Richards....

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Calling the game warden of obvious violations is not being a ****. It is called being a sportsman, preserving or attempting to keep outdoor sports like hunting as clean as possible. I'd call in a heartbeat. Or at minimum leave a note stating you didn't call this time but next time you will, but wanted to inform them as they may not know the laws.

6. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you are having a pitty party for your self.. You aren't alone in your efforts and I understand how hard it is to have a good place to hunt.. All I can say is get a job save some money and lease or buy ground just like the rest of us adults do if you don't like sharing public ground!

7. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I guarantee you that at 19, working my butt off while I wasn't in college courses, there is no way I could have justified blowing a ton of money on a hunting lease.
    I'll edit to add, even now, though I have a bit of disposable income, I still hunt almost exclusively on public land

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Is the public land you hunt actual state our county owned land, or is it private land open to the public for tax incentives for the owners? All the land I hunt on is privately owned but it is also all open to the public. Anybody can go on it and hunt just can't modify the land or leave stands overnight. That is unless a person gets the permission of the land owner.

9. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    What I hunt is all managed by the state wildlife department, some is state owned, the remainder is federal (COE, USFS) but managed as a wildlife management area by the state

10. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nope-- just stating a fact. I have heard the public ground saga and you know what.. That's why they call it public. People need to get over thinking their secret spot is a secret spot...

You want better places to hunt.. anty up...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  11. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Not everybody has the disposable income to do so. Especially not at 19. Instead of just saying you need to be an adult (insinuating someone isnt), and everything just because youve heard it all before, just skip this thread and carry on.

12. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess reality is not what a 19 year old needs to hear.

13. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Condescension is not what anybody need to hear.

14. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your right.. sorry.

But the truth is public.. means public... If you don't like it no need to B**** about it?

Move on and do something to make it better was the point!

15. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough.
    And a true enough point, if your not happy with something, change it. either get private land, call the wardens on violaters, try to come to an agreement with whoever is causing issues, etc etc

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    BHH never said anything wrong and I agree with him...but okcaveman is right as well. I'll hunt public personally before I ever spend HUGE money on a lease unless a ton of freakin ground! (and a HE** of a deal!)

17. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Everything I hunt is also state managed, the land owners need to coordinate with the DNR if they wish to log or anything like that and they cannot build on it. The land I hunt up north is owned by my wifes family and one of their friends so I can put and leave stands. But since it is about 65 miles to get there I only make it every other weekend or so and being Buck only this year, I wanted to be able to fill my doe tag so I am going to land I hunted when I was a kid that was owned by a Paper Company (Weyerhaeuser).

I knew it was open land before and wanted to make sure so I looked at the DNR website and found a map that shows all the Privately owned land which is under the DNR land management programs. It even lists who owns the land and I discovered that 160 acres of this land is now owned by a company a good friend I went to high school owns. So I am going to talk with him and get permission from him so I can leave stands or do other things others won't be legally able to.

Don't know if MN has the abilities but it may be worth your time to look and see if you can locate private open land and even though it is open to the pubic, talk to the owner if possible and you might be able to get greater permission than everybody else.

18. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with BHH. Public land is public. Expect that to happen and have back up plans to your back up plans.

If you don't have the money or don't want to spend the money, then suck it up and hunt. You could even try other state's public lands. There's a ton of things you can do but complaining about another hunting wanting to hunt is not going to help anything.

This coming from a PA public land hunter, so I know your frustrations.

19. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, everybody jumping to BHH defense. I never said I disagreed with what he said. Read my replies, i said i agree with him in one.
    I disagreed with the condescending tone that I read in to what he said. Maybe I mistook it, and if so, my apologies to you BHH.

20. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be damned if anyone hunts my public land secret spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk