Doe down with my buddy

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Pitman, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Doe down with the best hunting partner I will ever have!

My son and I started hunting together last year when he was 2. We were unable to get the job done last year but I made it my MAIN goal to kill ANYTHING with him in the stand with me this year!

The season started yesterday and I asked my son if it was ok for daddy to go on opening day without him.. the trooper he is he said "sure daddy, but are you going to take me the day after that?" I told him "you know it bud! You are my little hunter!" SO.. today I asked him are we still on for our hunt today? He started pulling out his hunting gear and was ready to rock! We get all ready and head down to a ladder stand we have set up. We climb up and I get him sat down, get our harness's tide on and get my camera set up. I then pull my bow up and nock an arrow and pull my quiver off and hang it on the tree. I see that he is sitting on the far side of the stand from the trail, so I ask him to scoot over so he can see the trail good! I no more than sit my butt in the seat and here she comes! I reach over and get the camera on and stand up... hook my release on and whisper "can you see her?" he says "yup"! I told him sit still and be quiet! She takes a few more steps and I draw and I stop her and let my arrow fly! I seen I hit her high and back but I thought it would do... I should have let him talk a little more on tape but I wasn't sure how far she went. He was super excited tho! When we got down he wanted to call his grandparents and couldn't wait to tell mommy all about it! We went back to the house made our calls so he could let everyone know how we shot a deer and I watched the footage. I seen it wasn't a great hit so we gave her plenty of time and waited for mommy to get home then we grabbed one of our Weimaraner pups and headed back to the woods. The blood trail wasn't great but very track-able and the pup got some good experience with her little nose to the ground most of the way. Little man was doing a good job of pointing out blood as well! She only went 75 yards or so before she pilled up and we let the pup check her out real good with lots of praise! My little man was super excited to find her as well! I have hunted for around 28 years and bow hunted for 20 of them... I have killed a good number of deer over the years.. This is by far the best hunt I have EVER had! I look forward to many more with my son, best bud, and hunting partner! Now for my 2nd goal... helping my wife kill her 1st during shotgun season and get it on tape! :lol:

https://youtu.be/HxCOZhuUad4

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats better than killing a Boone and Crockett by yourself... i cant wait to take my 7 yr old dayghter this year. She is super pumped.

3. rajela

rajela Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job....memories forever....

4. Jason_wi

Jason_wi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go!! I know I always have more fun when my son is out in the woods with me.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! He will remember it forever!! Congrats!!

6. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story! I grew up hunting with my dad and grandpa. Grandpa is long gone now, and at 83 dad doesn't have the legs for it now. Dad and I replay the memory reel every time we visit. My son and wife hunt with me now, we make new memories. I have a grandson who is 5 months old and I can't wait until I can get him out also. Hunting with close family is very very special. I've killed lots of game when hunting by myself and none of it compares to the memories of hunting with my family members.

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your buddy looks very happy in those pics. I'm sure he'll remember it always, as will you. Great job on getting him out there.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good work and congrats!

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good times

10. Seth French

Seth French Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. My 5 year old can't wait to go. Going to get him out on a gun hunt at least this year and then turkey hunting in the spring. Good job. Way to be raising her the right way.

11. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great story and congrats to both of you. I had my son in a tree stand at that age too. He is 18 years old now! Enjoy those times because they grow up too fast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man! I got a little one in the wife's belly that I can't WAIT to get out there!

13. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story, congrats Pitman !