Finally

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dmen, Jun 14, 2015.

1. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually live in new gloucester

2. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on getting drawn and I certainly wish you and your friend the best of luck with your hunt. Allowing your friend to subpermit speaks a lot about you especially with 20 years trying to get drawn. I'm hoping state record for you guys.

I should be bear hunting up there the 1st week of Sept. in the Ashland/Portage lake area. I love the North Woods.

3. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually rented a camp in Ashland for our moose hunt. We went up scouting the North Woods over the weekend. Didn't see any moose but we saw a lot of sign. Won't be able to head back up until 2 days before the hunt starts, but we will scout those 2 days and hopefully find that magic spot to get on a big bull. My friend was not in the best shape, so we may be limited to how far we can get in the woods. He will be finishing chemo 2 weeks before the hunt so hopefully he will be feeling better.

4. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Actually we will be arriving the 6th of Sept. and hunting that week. We actually know an old retired game warden in Ashland and talk to him when we get up there. Hunted around there most of his life and our guide is also a retired game warden from Portage Lake and guides moose when bear season goes out.

I sincerely hope you guys do great and wish that your friend feels good enough to enjoy the hunt after the chemo.

5. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    congrats! hope you have the experience of a lifetime! don't forget the bug spray!lol

6. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the draw! I drew my first Vermont regular season moose tag this year after 15+ years of applying. Pretty excited as this is only the second tag anyone in my family has ever drawn and we own some good moose land in the area that my tag is for! My grandfather drew a tag in 2001 and killed a very nice 23pt, 52" bull aged at 17.5 years.
    My plan is to hunt with my bow but our season is late, starts oct 17th, so calling might be iffy making for a tough bow hunt.
    My dad will be my sub-permittee and carrying a gun so if need be I will do what I have to do.

Good luck to you and your friend on your hunt! look forward to reading the story!

7. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The hunt is coming upon us now. We leave Saturday morning. Plan on scouting Saturday and Sunday, the hunt begins Monday. hopefully find some nice clear cuts that we can call from. My friend is just getting done with a round of chemo so I am not sure how much energy he will have and how far into the bush we can go. We are going to play it by ear and hope for the best. We should arrive at our rental by noon on Saturday and hit the logging roads looking for spots to call by the early afternoon. A lot of people try and fill their tags by driving the logging roads waiting for a moose to appear. We are hoping to make our hunt a little more exciting than that. I will keep this thread updated hopefully with some kill pictures.

8. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Wish you all the luck in the world in being successful and hope that your friend is able to enjoy the hunt. I was in Portage the week of the 6th and we had a great time although the weather was a bit hot, 1st day in the stand and it was over 90 degrees which was very unusual for that time of year. God speed my friend.

9. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!! Had a bull grunting like crazy near my bear stand on Tuesday. Love is in the air!

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you and your friend! I hope you guys have a great trip.

11. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We finally connected on a good bull tonight. This is a rifle kill so mods move it if this is a problem. I will tell the story of the hunt when I have a chance.

Attached Files:

12. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Congratulations! Glad it worked out for you!

13. Keef

Keef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you. What a wonderful gesture to let your friend hunt. You will be rewarded ultimately for such a kind act. We need more people as generous as you.

14. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Holly smokes no clue how I missed the post that you drew but congratulations on drawing and harvesting!!!! That's so awesome brother!!!!!

15. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

I just got the call that my friend has passed away last night. So glad we got to do that last moose hunt together.

16. centralPAarcher

centralPAarcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry to hear he has passed. You gave him probably one of the best things a person who loves hunting could ask for when his time to go is nearing. You are a great person my friend.

17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear of your friend's passing. Prayers to the family.

18. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about his passing. What an awesome thing of you to do for him, I'm sure it was a huge highlight for him.