***One-N-Done - Team #1***

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by DucksUnlimitedHunter27, Aug 16, 2015.

1. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    what the heck, anyone have some guidance for me? May be textin Fitz....embarrassing.

2. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Got it! whew. Nice work in this avatar! Love the patriotic aspect to it.

3. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pulled cards the other day and had pictures of just doe and varmints. Here is a couple pictures of varmints.

MFDC0841.jpg MFDC0859.jpg

4. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

DucksUnlimitedHunter27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting close here. Didn't make it out to hang cameras, I'll be out late this week or over the weekend. I'm planning on getting in as deep as I can to some CRP/bedding areas and hanging the lonewolf. I'm trying to get 5 or 6 solid sits in on this Iowa ground.

As previously mentioned, I'll be doing a bunch of hunting in KS over thanksgiving. As of now, planning on driving back Friday before, hunting ducks in Missouri Saturday then going to my property to hunt deer Sunday-Sunday. That week has been promising as the rut, my buddy killed a 175" 3 years ago, same day I shot a 150" but never found. Haven't run camera's, feeders, minerals, anything since turkey season. But I remain hopeful. Can't wait to get back, and can't wait for my first IOWA SIT! Season opens Thursday here, I'll be out Friday or Saturday.

5. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We open here on Thursday and I will be in the stand this week on Thursday evening, Friday evening, Saturday morning and Sunday morning (unless I go to the Colts game which is possible).

Still have some work to do before Thursday since I added a third property, hung two stands on Friday - still have one more to hang on that property and still have 2 more to hang on another property. It's almost like the work never ends. Obviously I would prefer to be done hanging stands by now but when you have hung 7 stands already this year and trimmed them all out, put down mock scrapes etc. it takes a lot of time.

6. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All that hard work shud payoff for you man!! Good luck getting the big one!!!

7. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    That's a lot of work Twitch! Do you have luck with the mock scrapes?

Sent from camp fire using Tapatalk

8. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    I am conflicted on them Bob. I don't really love the idea of introducing "package scents" to my hunting properties but I've had good success with some of them so it kinda is a catch 22. I use to swear by Conquest Scent Deer Heard in a stick (Evercalm) and think it works excellent for mock scrapes - I use to put it on my boots walking into the stand as a cover scent and use to be a big advocate for cover scents. However, I think too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing. If you can be scent free and not introduce any scent to a property that is way better than a cover scent trying to mask something...

So I strictly use "packaged scents" for mock scrapes and that is it. Yes I have had success with mock scrapes in the past. Here is a video from my phone of an 8 pointer I passed on last year working one of my mock scrapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POZjMlbQZZ8

Here is another buck that I passed on several years ago in my food plot. I was using cover scent then (again Conquest Deer Heard in a Stick - Evercalm) and he had a VERY positive reaction to it as he spent a great deal of time walking around smelling and eating in my food plot. Pardon the poor video quality we didn't have as great of technology back in 2012 lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znt7HQmWQ4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP28PRtfokE

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    From my pull today - a few decent ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  10. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Twitch!

Sent from camp fire using Tapatalk

11. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Great bucks as usual twitch!!! Good genetics everywhere!!!!

12. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jeffrey! They aint all brusiers but we got a few studs walking around... Love to see the day walkers this time of year. Good photos are all fine and good but if you don't close the deal they are just good photos at the end of the day.

13. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Nineteen days and counting! How's everyone doing?

14. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    I am so excited guys it feels like deer season started today!!! Its the last day that most of us can say I cant wait for season to start. I am too pumped right now!! If anybody loves bowhunting like I do you know the feeling because its finally here!!! Ive got my mind made up about which location I will be sitting in but the wind direction is gonna be the last determining factor for me. My plan is to hunt "The Ridge" tomorrow morning with hopes of no wind or a slight southwest breeze that I can deal with. Its suppose to be like high 50's which is ok. Dont forget to get your tags if you haven't already gentlemen, and always be safe at all you do.

15. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

DucksUnlimitedHunter27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think I'll make it out for the opener tomorrow. Will be out over the weekend. Lows have dropped into the 30's in iowa! Perfect timing, they should be on their feet!!

16. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Wow 30's huh thats cold man its all good. Im off for the next 2 days plus the weekend so im hunting hard to try an get it done. I will keep you all updated as thr morning progresses but something is telling me I dont need to miss this opportunity to be in the stand. To all the team members that are going out tomorrow may god be with you and I wish you all the best.

17. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck tomorrow Jeff and like I tell my brother take lots of picture! :woot:

18. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Will do sir im up and getting ready to head to the food plot due to the wind it is a Northeast wind and thats the only spot suitable I'd say but its only 10 mph so I may still hed over to the Ridge later I will keep you guys posted.

19. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Today should be a national holiday... If I were President of the United States today would be a national holiday. Well among other things that I won't get into today!

Good luck to you all - haven't decided what stand I will hunt yet, too many too chose from. A NE wind is perfect for so many stands that I hang as that is probably our most common November wind so I usually hang stands with that wind in common. I could slip in and hunt the G280 buck but with the information that I have to work with I am afraid he is moving after shooting light and it might be hard to get out of my stand location and back to my truck without bumping him. So my issue with hunting that buck (and a few others) is not the wind, but it is my ability to get back to the truck without bumping him - ugh!

20. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Bumped a few doe coming in to the plot. Not good but still climb aboard. I heard one slight blow and they were gone. Maybe they will come back. I come in here at 530 an it seems like we met in they were entering around the same time. Shooting light is approaching so im just gonna wait and see what happens.