Scent

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DLaffy07, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No worries, I am not offended heck I gave away my last piece of scent lok months ago. Have not wore it in 3 years, I was saved from the cult.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love Scentlok clothing, not just for the arguable "scent" control, love how it fits personally. I do still love my Natural gear tho too.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fine garments quality product, just not what I use.

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree. They don't always bust you.

5. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would argue that they do.

Are you talking about "downwind" or scent stream? Those are 2 different things.

If your scent hits a deer's nose, you're busted. Each deer might react differently though. Some might bust out right away, others might tolerate the scent for a bit. But, you're still busted no matter how the deer reacts. And no scent suit or spray is going to prevent a deer from smelling you if they're in your scent stream.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I can agree with that. I wanted to make sure we were differentiating between the two. That's like saying "if I boil the water, it's hot" :)

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To clarify, being in a scent stream and actually smelling you are also different in my opinion. I've had deer walk on the same trail that I walk in on just 2 minutes after I was on it and to my surprise they had no idea I was in the tree and just walked directly under me without skipping a beat.

8. Kat

Kat Newb

Dislikes Received:

Why...

9. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of scent comes from your hands.
    Keep your hands up and try not to touch anything...

Also, I will keep clothing unzipped or as open as possible when walking in to help keep the sweat down. Get as close as you can, do what you have to do to get ready, spray, and go the rest of the way to your stand. Re-spray again once you settle in. Sometimes I will spray again - depending on how long I have been there.

10. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I wore scent-lok for years until the suit fell apart. This year I went under armour and had it stolen from my jeep so ill be wearing all my extras layered together this year

11. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I consider a "bust" when a deer smells you and immediately bolts. If a deer smells you but then hangs around and is not certain of any danger, that's not "busted". That's just a nervous deer.

I've had deer obviously smell me and not bust. I've had a dog bust me and a deer come to exact same spot and not bust me. I don't know how it works, but I'll keep shooting downwind deer thanks to my scent reduction plan.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I thought everybody put on the nitril gloves as soon as they got out of the shower? Why would you want to leave scent on everything you touch?

13. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use zero scent control outside of hunting the wind, I've had deer downwind and not spook as you describe. In fact I've yet to have a deer blow at me this season or react more negatively than getting nervous, i don't recall being blown at last season either but may have once or twice that i don't recall. Again, this is no scent reduction attempt. I guess my plan is working! And I hunt a good amount of pressured public.

14. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last weekend I had to pass on a doe in the morning due to no shooting lanes where she crossed downwind. I came back that afternoon with same wind and trimmed the lanes getting all sweaty. Doe came in downwind and eating the leaves off of limbs I downed and didn't get suspicious. Sometimes deer react weird. Doubt the same situation would have played out the same with a big buck

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

15. JDouin

JDouin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be religious about my scent system. Hunted for years spraying everything down multiple times, only getting dressed in the field, keeping all clothing outside, scent free showers, you name it, I did it. I got busted then, and I get busted now. I'm fortunate enough to hunt a farm in Pike County where I have deer up close and personal every time I hunt. I've had extremely mature deer straight downwind and never smell me, and I've had forkies catch a whiff of a soft wind and bust the crap out of me. What I do now, again, not saying this is the right way, but I try to keep most of my stuff scent free in totes with some acorns or something, and keep my rubber boots outside and as scent free as possible. No sprays, no carbon activating, none of that.

IMO, most of it has to do with thermals. Ask your hardcore elk hunters about thermals and how wind travels. The amount of humidity in the air affects it quite a bit as well. I'm sure you've all seen standing alert licking their nose...this helps their scent receptors.

Again...these are just my opinions, but I have tried/tested a lot of stuff and have deer near me ALOT.