I missed.need help.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cwarta, Sep 27, 2015.

1. cwarta

cwarta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So this morning I was sitting in my tree stand about 20 feet up. 4 does came along about 60 yards away. They eventually got 30 yards away and I drew back my bow I waited and put the third pin right behind the shoulder I pulled the trigger on the release and the arrow went at least 6 inches over it's back. So here's the question if I'm In a tree stand does the arrow fly different than the ground?

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No, not if you bent at the waist and keep your upper body form the same. You said you picked your 3rd pin, do you have a 10, 20, 30 pin?

3. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Third pin should be 40 yards. Your 1st pin is usually good to 20 yards second pin is thirty.

4. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All depends on the bow and who sets it up. My pins are 20, 40 and 50.

My kids bows are 10,20 and 30.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  5. rajela

rajela Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine are 20, 30 and 40.....

6. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    U have to bend at the waist but like everyone els said if u picked ur 3ed pin it went 6 inch over her back bc you were using your 40 yard pin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I always suggest practicing from a stand. Some people struggle with it, especially if they are new/newer to archery. Also if you guessed 30 yards and didn't range it, it's possible they were closer than you thought.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Check your peep and site ring alignment, if you are not bending at the waist you can see it. Next time you climb up on the stand draw and aim and check that alignment. A few warm up draws in the stand before prime time can't hurt.

9. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This gets me big time. Shooting in your yard, the archery range, some where open, I can judge a distance OK. Get me up in a tree, in the woods...I look at a tree, guess the distance, then get the range finder on it. I often then think, THAT is only x yards?! In the woods things look like they are farther away to me.

As others have mentioned, not every one has their pins set up the same. I have a very unusual set up myself. Pins are 15, 25, 30, and 40. Between a lower draw weight and shorter draw length, I found the gap between my 20 and 30 pins be quite large. Large enough to where I had a hard time gap shooting, so I closed the gap!

10. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I second this. I shoot out of a stand just as often as from the ground. While your point of impact shouldn't change based on where you shoot from, your point of aim could change drastically, depending on the angle. Many issues may arise that you had not foreseen, most likely flaws in your form. In early summer when I start getting ready for the season, my first few days of shooting out of a stand are pretty lousy. It can take quite a bit of getting used to.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow won't fly 12-18" high from being 20ft up a tree. It was probably a combination of being closer than you figured, using the wrong pin and the doe possibly "ducking".

12. DLaffy07

DLaffy07 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken two shots since the season began and I've been high on both. Went and resighted in not much changing at all. After shooting and shooting it's not the bow or my form I am having a hard time judging distance. Got a range finder and was really suprised of the difference it made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you know exactly what yardage your pins are set at and then it's just learning to judge distance better. If you don't have a rangefinder, walk off (one big stride is approximately 1 yard) from the base of your tree and use trees or something to identify the area from your stand so you have an idea how far they really are. You might have just misjudged the distance. As mentioned above, if you bend at the waist and use the correct pin for that yardage you shouldn't have an issue unless the deer ducks your shot.

14. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We owe it to the animals we pursue to be as accurate as we can be. Excitement is our worst enemy when the moment arises. There is no amount of practice that prepares you for the moment that excitement takes over. It appears that everything speeds up.
    Just keep working on it. Make sure you don't pull your head away to watch the arrow hit.

15. cwarta

cwarta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okay thanks guys.