How to handle a "bad" hunter/situation?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CJCullen, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The shame is those two are not the exception. I bet we have all have stories similar. My neighbor is very much like them. I quit hunting with him because of his ethics. It led to some hurt feelings and less friendly encounters outside for awhile. But he eventually got over it.

2. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is no pure sport, we have a holes in every sport. From the TV hunter who covers up a bad shot with a I smoked him. To a line backer who is known for dirty hits. Any thing you get into there is one or more bad apples to give all a bad name. This is human nature. I had a bad shot on a doe and let it ruin my Year. I stayed hunting the deer for the rest of the year. I tried to move my stand near where she was coming out. I never got another shot on her. I found her and her mom dead near each other in February. It killed me knowing I killed two deer because of my bad shot. That is the difference between people, some of the people at my work said big deal it happens. I have not forgotten my bad shot and practiced more than ever. You have people who due things just to do it, and others who do it because they respect what they do.

3. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are they for real or are they just trying to get a rise out of you? I know people that will say stuff like that to get others upset. I can't believe they wouldn't follow up the shot or a least retrieve their arrow. I hope they are just pulling your leg!

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is the problem with stupid people, they have no idea that they are stupid and are offended when you point out that they are stupid. In groups these people are dangerous.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The comment about shooting the fawn and not even giving the recovery effort a shot pisses me off.

The part about scent control is pretty much accurate in my opinion. They could leave a potato chip factory smelly like crap and also smoke cigarettes on stand, however if their wind is correct they will still kill deer.

6. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This, if he drew blood that is likely wanton waste. He is breaking the law if that is the case.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Close your eyes and kick him in the nads, then walk away.

When he confronts you later, explain to him about how not seeing a shot or properly aiming can still have the intended results and had you opened your eyes or thought more of him as a person you would have checked on his well being right after the kick.

8. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This!

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You mislabeled them hunters in your post, doubt you meant to do that. Heckler's post is 100% accurate. I have some very dear friends, some of which claim to be huge outdoorsmen....yet lack any kind of hunting integrity at all and ethical behavior in the woods. I refuse to talk to them about hunting....and warn them of such, yet at times they still do and I am very blunt and honest with them; typically turns into they get extremely pissed and don't talk to me for a time frame.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and you can bet your sweet biffy I'm using the DNR tipline to just put it out there that he did such an action...if after our discussion he doesn't change his tune and go look for the deer.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you decide to associate with them and try to convince them to change their ways. Then I would video your conversation so that if they don't change you have something to go to the Warden with anonymously. If not than its just your words against theirs.
    Just my $.02 if you go that route.

12. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We all have received some good advice in these previous posts - you cannot fix stupid. You will only frustrate yourself and further confuse those you are speaking to.

13. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only thing you can try to do is politely educate people, but you can't fix stupid or ignorance. This is true in many things of life unfortunately. My guess is these two fall into the stupid category.

14. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said, look to see if there is a law against wanton waste. I know we have one in NJ. And if the law in Wisconsin is similar to NJ they are definitely in violation.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is so true, that it's scary. I could not work with guys like that, plain and simple.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  16. youngcd12

youngcd12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I'm still trying to figure out how either of these clowns even saw a deer after their ideas about scent control. Granted it was a fawn but...wow. I would attempt to teach them, but, they might be unteachable. It's that or just tune them out...

17. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scent control? Scent control is a joke, I take zero scent precautions, just play the wind and kill more than most. The best hunters I know take this approach, I think it's a complete waste of time, if you think you can't kill deer because you're not using the latest garbage on the market you're mistaken.

As for these guys, I only talk hunting with people who are into it as much as I, anyone else that's what football is for!

18. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would just try to lead by example then be done. "Man, I can't believe you didn't even look for it? Wow. I take the lives of the animals I hunt very seriously."

....and walk away

19. llbts1

llbts1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You can't talk hunting with them. They are not hunters. They are slobs in camo. They don't understand or appreciate hunting.