Whitetail hearing vs. vision

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sound Barrier, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

You're right Pittman. They do have to hear it, and they don't have bionic hearing. They have similar hearing to humans in 1 regard, in 3 ways they do not and have very special advantage though.. pinnae, sweet spot/frequency range, ultrasonic hearing. There's a lot of science here, but basically they hear much better than humans, so this is deceiving to think they only hear what we do. I have some vlogs coming out on it the next 2 weeks if you want any more info/detail feel free to check out! www.soundbarrierhunting.com

2. Sound Barrier

Dislikes Received:

True, although a stare down is a tough one to win with a whitetail!

3. jewalker7842

jewalker7842 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely think hearing, scent, and then vision.

4. Sound Barrier

Dislikes Received:

partly true NateJR. They can hear down to 125Hz pretty well, so I guess it depends on how low you speak and how loud. They hear best at 8K Hz, which is around most of the sounds we make in the woods/predatory sounds. Its not just high frequency that helps them pinpoint, and high is a relative thing. Really anything over 125Hz they can pick up, but also well above what we can hear..up to 54K Hz. Have some vlogs coming out on it if you want more info www.soundbarrierhunting.com

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with this. The nose trumps everything and the eyes/ears on the same level. IMO. They'll usually stick around to investigate further if smell is out of the equation.

Having said that, any one of the three could be a breaking point if the deer has had bad experiences with a sound or sight.

6. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think that is why we love to do this because of the challenge it makes we have to get close enough with are bows and then all there senses which make them a world class animals in my eyes anyways

7. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As I understand it you are or going to be trying to make money off a deers hearing.. but I still see it as more or less a non-issue as long as Im careful and quiet as I can be. I have never had an abundance of issues with getting busted by a deer hearing me in the stand. As far as getting in and out of the woods, I try to watch my steps and walk quietly as I can and that is good enough for me. With that being said I highly doubt I would purchase anything to help me not be heard by a deer, tho I am very curious about what your product will be. Best of luck to you.

Now if there was a product that kept a deer from busting me drawing my bow back.. that has happened more than a few times! lol

8. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely agree nose is their most valuable sense, which is why shooting downwind deer that obviously smelled you is an accomplishment.

9. Sound Barrier

Dislikes Received:

Fair enough, guess you'll have to wait and see. Deer do hear very well in the ultrasonic range fyi, so you make noise you can't hear, but they can..