Shooting fawns frowned upon?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Joe Collins, Sep 18, 2015.

1. bz5119

bz5119 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first bow kill was a fawn, I shot a bigger doe about 2 hours later. I decided to bring the 'big' one in to the butcher and process the little one myself. The big one weighed 85lbs dressed. I'd shoot one again as long as I have the option to use a bonus tag vs. my buck tag.

It was one of the easiest drags I ever had to do :)

2. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2 seasons ago I had one come through quite a ways out of bow range. She was tiny and her front leg was broken in multiple pieces. from what I assume was vehicle related.. my cousin ended up putting a arrow in her. I have to say it was the best pan seared backstrap I've ever had. I personally couldn't do it without the injury.

3. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problem shooting fawns...in fact I try to shoot a fawn every year for the freezer. I get plenty of tags so I have no problem using one on a fawn.

4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot 2 fawns the first one was years ago in Wisconsin when they used to have earn a buck and I had to shoot a doe to be able to buck hunt during the rut. The second was a button buck that I thought was a yearling doe with a muzzleloader. I only wished I didn't shoot the second one.

5. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I won't but don't really care what anyone else does. I'm sure if I had a crappy spot and never saw deer I'd think differently to put meat in the freezer.

6. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned above, late season and no meat in the freezer...yep, I'll take a fawn if it is the only opportunity presented.

7. wrkdvr

wrkdvr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am still trying to get my first bow kill...4 years trying. It has been a learning experience. I don't care what "others" think, because my true friends and mentors not only support me but rally me on my efforts. A little fawn is not something they may shoot, but know that if that is my first bow harvest than they will celebrate my first trophy as such and would never say or think any less of me. If a small doe happens to be my first you can bet it will be the biggest trophy to ME!! In the end that is what matters. It is individual goals that we set. Don't worry what others are doing. My fist gun deer was a little doe, and I am not ashamed. I was thrilled and I will never forget it.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only one I've ever shot was a button buck. Several years ago when I hadn't been hunting for long, there was a mature doe and two fawn come in to the timber. The doe was leading and they went behind some brush, I shot the first deer that stepped out, assuming it was the mature doe. Ended up being the button buck. I was pretty pissed at myself. Sure they eat fine, but I personally have no interest in shooting a fawn.

9. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I could have shot three this morning along with 5 does and one spike. Where I hunt if I shoot a fawn I will get kicked off the land. I put a perfect shot on a doe but my rage hypodermic failed again. Not really happy today.

10. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    25 years ago I shot a button buck! To this day 21 years later, I remember it like it was yesterday! Your tag, your life, your call, Best of luck

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot whatever I want so I won't bash someone else for doing the same as long as it's legal and on their own hunting property.

Personally, I have never shot anything that wasn't pretty much mature and don't have any intention to. I don't allow them to be shot in my management properties if I have any say-so at all. I manage for future generations as much as anything because what your management practices accomplish are layered over generations more than what's on the hoof and mature today. Also as others have already said, I butcher my own and I'm not going to waste time on a little deer for a little payoff. I have gotten pissed at people hunting on my property before who shot fawns but they were asked not to before they ever came to hunt.

12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you for the most part Covey. It makes it easier to be selective when you have management property on a large amount of acreage. Its alot tougher for some of us who hunt smaller tracts with less control and/or public ground. I still do try to set my bar high and aim for mature deer. Shooting young deer is a last resort to put a little meat in the freezer. Also, i wouldnt take anything young unless i was sure the population was healthy. And man what a jerk whoever killed what you told them not to. Thats just plain disrespect.

13. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot a couple with spots during gun season. Did not realize they had spots. I would shoot one late in season of freezer empty. Nice and tender and easy dragging. I'm sure most people who would criticize shooting a fawn have had veal. Same thing for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last person that I allowed to hunt my land shot a button buck, I didn't frown about it I just vowed never again.

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I typed the first line, people have to set their own goals in regards to their own hunting area (whatever that may be). All I care about in regards to people shooting fawns is what I manage. I can't fault anyone for lowering standards for meat as long as it's done legally. I realize I'm in a unique situation with uncommonly ample opportunity to be selective and am pretty much always guaranteed meat whenever I need and want it. That's a very nice situation to be in but not one shared by all than high of a percentage of hunters. That's why I worded my initial sentence the way I did. While I feel it's not a wise practice to shoot fawns from a management standpoint, it's very much a 'grey area' that's open to free will.

Haha, yeah I was not a happy camper with that person but I didn't say anything about it to her, it was my older sister and she didn't have the experience to know any better. She knew I told her not to shoot a yearling but it was out in the middle of the field in front of the blind and she couldn't tell it was a yearling without spots. She thought she was shooting a smallish doe...it was a button buck to make matters worse. I can laugh about it now but I was steaming inside. I didn't want to show it because I didn't want to put her off hunting here at home with us or in general. She has turned into a hunting freak since that first year so I wouldn't change a thing.

16. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot fawns just because I never did, I always plan on shooting a bigger doe and always like to see the future grow. To each there own, in younger years while gun hunting I have shot a yearling or two. Hard to tell running and 100 yds away. If I'm burning a Doe tag I'm trying to get some meat out of the process.

17. jewalker7842

jewalker7842 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If it's late season and haven't really had the best opportunities...oh yeah. In the early season I tend to pass as there is really not that much meat on them to validate the drag back to the truck lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care what others shoot so I won't frown upon it. As long as it's legal, or like Covery and Sota have said, the land owner is ok with, shoot what you like and have fun. I hunt public land 90% of the time, but I still pass them, early or late season. I passed one yesterday morning. I shot a fawn doe my first every year archery hunting so I am not going to say I never have. But like I said shoot what you like and be happy!

19. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would prefer to take a fawn of a young doe than to take a grown producing doe. We have two on the property that have produced twins the last two years those mamas get a pass

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only two times I am fine with killing a fawn personally (I don't do it though):

#1 - You honestly need the meat for you and/or family...have it brother.

#2 - Your local deer numbers are very healthy if not overpopulated.

Otherwise I am not a fan of it at all myself, but that's just my personal feelings and if someone chooses to I am not gonna put them on blast so long as legal and they don't make excuses.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015