Need help sighting my bow in

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by hoyt05, Sep 9, 2015.

1. hoyt05

hoyt05 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys this is the first year I've actually put new sights on a bow. The last two bows I bought were sighted in and ready to go when I bought the bow. (3 pin sights)

I live in the middle of town in an apartment complex so I cant shoot my bow where I live. I don't know anyone with a target/area to help me.

Is anyone on here near Springfield, IL by chance that is willing to help me out?
    I'm willing to drive a hour radius of Springfield. I can pay you for your time or what ever you'd need for helping.

My local bow shop can help me sight in the 10 and 20 yard pin, but for the 30, 40, and 50 they can't help me.

I have the Spot Hogg Hunter 5 pin sight.

2. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go out and get a cheap target or get one off craigslist.com. find a public or private spot and sight it in

3. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know any one that lives in the country or do you know any farmers? If so, ask if you can shoot there if you have a target.

Probably not an answer you want but when I was in an apartment, I did those things if I didn't feel like paying to shoot at the local 40 yard range.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Could try the VelocitipUNO app to get you close. Your proshop should be able to supply the needed information.

If you don't know anybody with an area for you to shoot, look into an archery club membership.

5. JasonL

JasonL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you understand how to adjust your sights? It is really much simpler than you probably think. In fact setting up your entire bow is pretty simple. Lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. Walmart and a bunch of other places have cheap targets. The cheap Styrofoam do a good job. And you can try your broad heads at them. No need to buy an expensive target really.

One thing that I see right off though no one else mentioned. If you cannot practice past a certain distance (20 or 30 yards) you shouldn't at all worry about the pins beyond. Because you have no right loosing and arrow at an animal at any distance you aren't practiced to or beyond.
    Where and at what distances are you practicing now?

6. hoyt05

hoyt05 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!

I am never tried messing with sights and I don't want to mess them up.

I wouldn't feel safe shooting an animal more than 30 yards out. You do make a point. If I can just get 10, 20, and 30 done I'll be fine for this year. Next summer I'll have to start practicing further out and worry about it then.

7. JasonL

JasonL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok you had me a little worried. Hope I didn't come off to harsh.

It is really pretty easy to adjust the sight. As long as everything else is good you just chase the arrow when your adjusting it.

So say you hit right you move your sight pin to the right. Typically you set your first pin (high inside your sight so you have room for the others) and then move the sight housing for that pin. Once that is good you move individual pins. They should hit close left and right and only need elevation changes. If they start hitting left or right as you get out farther you can make a change by moving the housing that direction slightly. But you should go back to your first pin and make sure it is still on up close. If its off you bow isn't tuned. That is really it. If I were close I'd show you. I actually just put a new sight on mine a few weeks ago and am going through this process now. I've been taking my time as it has been a while since I shot regularly.

8. mattdawgg319

mattdawgg319 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    do you have a decently long hallway? Just dont miss.

9. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with wanting to practice at long ranges, makes the short shots easy.
    I'm not sure about Illinois, but in Missouri we have a lot of MDC and park ranges. Check with your conservation department.

10. Riverbc

Riverbc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't worry about a 10 yard pin. My 20 works great for 10 yards. Try setting up, 20-30-40. Setting up your sight is Archery 101, everyone should know how to do it. Youtube is your friend. If your groups are to the left, move the sight to the left. If the groups are high, raise your pins. Your sight chases your groups.