Nikon D5300 vs Canon Rebel t5i

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by HoytHunter831, Sep 1, 2015.

1. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What are your guy's thoughts? Which one is a better overall camera for photos and videos? If I do end up getting a dslr I will have to self film with it some and I know that is tough, not sure if one is better than the other for filming hunts? Let me know you're opinions.

Also would it be better to get a 18-55 lens or a 18-135? I would need at leased 2 lenses I would say. Not sure if the 18-135 is a good overall lens for filming hunts or do I need something with more zoom?

I don't know a ton about this stuff so any info will help.

2. BowBecca

BowBecca Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's like a Chevy/Ford thing. Go play with them and see which seems more intuitive to you. I am a Nikon person but both make great products and its a pretty even split amongst the pros. Both lenses you mentioned are both decent all around "generic" lenses. They are decent at doing a little of everything but not great at anything. I would just pick up a decent all around and learn your camera and what you want to do with it. Once you figure it out you can pick up additional glass to suit your needs. Just be warned that you can spend multiple times the initial camera purchase on good glass.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The 18-135mm is a great focal length for bowhunting. There isn't a ton of zoom, but where I'm hunting, I don't need it. I can still push in on a deer closer than need be way outside my shooting range. I have the Canon 18-135mm STM on my 70D. I did pick up the 50mm 1.8 for this season. The faster lens will serve me well in low low light, though the 18-135 did very well last year.

Here's a small buck at about 60 yards from last Fall. I'm at the full 135mm here, just to give you an idea.

[​IMG]

4. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I run the D5300 and I use 2 lens. 18-55 and 55-300. I like to have the longer focal lens for hunting on a field edge. Or taking still pictures it gives me a deeper view. However, you do not have an silent auto focus. If you want a silent auto focus you need the rebel t5i. The t5i is a little cheaper as well

5. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So would it be better to go with the t5i because of that or would the Nikon still work?