Bible study thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by boonerville, Jun 15, 2015.

1. BigUTMuleys

BigUTMuleys Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    “For the creation eagerly waits with anticipation for God’s sons to be revealed.”
    **Romans‬ *8:19‬ *HCSB‬‬
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday, November 14 - Perseverance and Endurance

Romans 5:3-4 : We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.

James 1:2-4 : Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.

Perseverance and endurance produce godliness, love, productivity, usefulness, growth, strength of character, preparedness, strong faith and eternal rewards. So, if you are going through difficult times, remember that we as Christians are called to persevere, drawing strength from God's promise in Matthew 24:13 - But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

3. cj22drake

cj22drake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for making this thread this is awesome!

4. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday, November 15 - Temptation

Matthew 4:1-11

We face temptation everyday. Whether it's sexual sins, worship idols (work, money, material possessions, or anything else that takes focus off of God), committing adultery, homosexuality, theft, greed, alcoholism, being physically or emotionally abusive or cheating people out of things, the temptation is there. We can rest assured that Jesus himself was tempted and resisted. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 10:13 - The temptation in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.

So how do we handle temptation? James 4:7-8 gives us clear direction: So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.

5. BigUTMuleys

BigUTMuleys Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Tuesday, November 17 - Romans 12:1

I'm currently doing the Staying Fit devotional on the Bible app, and Elaine Scott from Browns Bridge Church writes this beautiful pray regarding offering oneself to God daily:

God, today I dedicate my mind to you. I want to think on things that are good, right, pure, and excellent. I want to take captive any thoughts that aren’t from you. I want to remember your past faithfulness when I am tempted to doubt.

Today, I dedicate my eyes to you. I want to see others the way you see them. I want to view my circumstances through the lens of hope and faith. I want to look at life as one who is confident that you are with me.

Today, I dedicate my ears to you. I want to hear your voice above all the others clamoring for my attention. I want to listen to you and to honor others by listening well to them.

Today, I dedicate my mouth to you. I want my words to be life-giving. I want to speak honestly and sincerely. I want to think before I speak. I want to let others have the last word.

Today, I dedicate my heart to you. I want my heart to be pure and undivided. I want to master my emotions, not serve them. I want my dreams and desires to please you.

Today, I dedicate my hands to you. I want to work hard at whatever I put my hands to. I want to touch others in love and goodwill. I want my hands to be open for whatever you want to give me and willing to release anything you want me to surrender.

Today, I dedicate my feet to you. I want to go wherever you send me. I want to walk toward the messes, not run from them. I want to stand firmly upon the truth and not stumble.

The most important relationship I have deserves my greatest expression of worship: a dedicated life.

I wrote this prayer down as something that spoke to me. As I went throughout my day, a ridiculously trying day, I realized that I have gone away from serving God daily. I reminded myself that He walks before me, with me and follows me to protect me and keep me safe. There is no reason why I can't dedicate myself to serving Him wholeheartedly, everyday.

7. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday, November 18 - Psalm 119:9-16 - The Pathway to Purity

The second stanza of Psalm 119 starts off by asking how can a young person stay pure? A great question that, in my mind, doesn't just apply to a young people, but all people in general. It lists nine different ways: Obeying God's word (v. 9), Hide God's Word in your heart (v. 11), Learn God's decrees (v. 12), Recite God's regulations aloud (v. 12) Rejoice in God's law (v. 13), Study His commandments (v. 15), Reflect on His ways (v. 15), Delight in His decrees (v. 16) and Remember His Word (v. 16).

One of the most crucial tasks in the list is reflect. I don't know about you, but between family and work, I'm relatively busy. I do make time to study and reflect on God's word, and it has helped me in times of need. As I go throughout my day, I am able to remember that God loves me, walks with and before me, and will provide for me.

8. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday, November 21 - Luke 23:26-43 - The Crucifixion and the Criminals

Luke's account of the crucifixion is the only one to include the criminals that were crucified with him. As you read through the passage, particularly in verses 39 - 43, you see the two responses from the criminals. One says "So you’re the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself—and us, too, while you’re at it!” (v 39). The other criminal responds "Don’t you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.” (v 40 - 42).

The both criminals knew that their time was almost up. One doubted and mocked and the other asked Jesus to "remember me". If today was your last day, which criminal are you? Do you doubt and mock, or do you humbly accept that Jesus was dying (in the case of the story) for you? We never know what day will be our last.

9. cj22drake

Dislikes Received:
    Amen bowhunter448. Thanks for the post!

10. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday, November 22 - John 15:18 - 20: Christ's Call to Endurance

This passage in John is Jesus explaining that the world will hate us (his followers) because they first hated Him. We will be persecuted because He was first persecuted. Not exactly a warming notion for those new to following Christ, is it? But many things can be said about enduring the hatred and persecution. Paul tells us in Romans 5:3-4 to rejoice in the problems and trials we face, because they can help us build our endurance, which leads to character growth, which strengthens our hope in salvation. Paul later tells the church of Thessaloniki that "we proudly tell God’s other churches about your endurance and faithfulness in all the persecutions and hardships you are suffering" (2 Thessalonians 1:4). James says in James 1:3 that every time our faith is tested, our endurance has an opportunity to grow.

So, why is it so important for our endurance to grow? Why is it important to face trials, tribulations, ups and down, persecution, hatred, etc? James 1:12 explains it perfectly : God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. What could be better than the crown of life that God has promised, or the blessings that we receive because of our endurance? There isn't anything that I can think of that is better.

And that is why it is so important for us to endure the hardships, trials, etc. So, if life has you down, remember that God is with us and will reward us for our endurance!

11. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Monday, November 23 - 10 Steps to Christian Living

The week of Thanksgiving has become a hard one for me. But in the same, it is one of the best weeks for me. Let me explain. Last year, my grandfather had become extremely ill around October. He spent about 6 weeks in intensive care in a Salt Lake City hospital. After not seeing any improvement, my dad made the decision to bring him home to pass in peace.

Growing up, as I think about it, my grandparents were extremely faithful people. Church every Sunday, personal bible studies throughout the week, and even some firm guidance regarding the way I lived my life. Grandma used to bribe us kids with McDonald's to go to church (in hind sight, I'm glad we went). My grandma ended up passing summer of 2008 after she found out that my first child was going to be a son.

My grandpa came home and never recovered. The day after Thanksgiving, my dad called around 6:30 in the morning to tell me that Grandpa had passed and he would like to see me a little later. When I made it to my grandpa's house, my dad had a small stack of things that he wanted me to have, one of which was my grandpa's bible (which he had since 1977 and spent years preaching out of). As I looked at what has become one of my most treasured possesions, I found a list of Scriptures for daily Christian living. And I love to share this list.

So, in honor of Grandpa, here is his list of 10 steps for daily Christian living.
    Read Your Bible Daily - 2 Timothy 3:14 - 17
    Pray to God Daily - Matthew 6:6 - 15
    Give Thanks Daily - Philippians 4:6 - 7
    Recognize Our Sin - 1 John 1:8 - 9
    Trust God as His Child - Romans 8:28
    Live Honestly and Cleanly, in Word, Thought and Deed - Philippians 4:8 - 9
    Shun the Ways of the World - Matthew 7:13 - 14
    Offer a Helping Hand - Matthew 25:34 - 46
    Live Up to Our Faith - Matthew 7:21 - 27
    Observe Rules of Conduct - James 1:19 - 20

12. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just found this thread, will be checking in daily (or so) from now on.
    Thanks for the posts!

13. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    In the interest of growing myself, what is your favorite passage of scripture and why?

14. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm i like Romans 12, to help remind me what living should like. And my go to verse is Joshua 1:9.

15. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly love the Pauline letters. I've found that writing the scriptures helps me soak them in more than just reading them, so I've started in Romans and will work through the letters.

16. cj22drake

Dislikes Received:
    I like Matthew 7:22-23 because it reminds me to follow God's word just as it says. ----Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?
    Matthew:7:22 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    Matthew:7:23

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday, November 28 - Romans 1:8 - 15

During this part of Paul's introduction to the Romans, he starts by thanking God for all of the Christians in Rome, saying that their faith is being talked about by people all over the world. We know from reading further in Romans, and in Acts, that Paul longed to visit Rome. He wanted to continue to make their faith strong, through mutual encouragement (He states in verse 12 that they will encourage each other. Encouragement of others is repeated by Paul in 1 Thessalonians 5:11 and Ephesians 4:29)

So, brothers and sisters, how can we encourage each other? How can we make sure people "around the world" talk about our faith? I found something that I'd like to challenge my youth group with: If we were accused of being Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict us?

18. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Tuesday, December 1 - Mark 11:25 - Forgiving Others

"But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too.”

I have been praying the last couple of months for a change of employment. I've come to really dislike where I work. And, to this point, I've been unsuccessful in finding new employment, even though I've been applying like no other (usually 2 or 3 jobs a night). As I left work on the bus last night, I realized that I haven't truly forgiven the people who I believe have wronged me or haven't had my back during the last couple of year. I have one friend that we talk, a lot, and we spent some time talking about forgiving others last night.

After I got home, cooked dinner and got to bed, I looked in my bible regarding forgiving others, like how do you tell. I found Mark 11:25, and it convinced me that I haven't truly forgiven anyone. I have decided to make it my goal over the next couple of weeks to track down the people that I haven't forgiven, and shake their hands, and forgive them. I'm tired of being exhausted and I truly want new employment, and have been asking God for it. But, after reading this passage, I'm pretty sure my unforgiveness has a lot to do with it.

19. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you guys would be against a study on the book of Romans?

20. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Love this thread. God bless you all.