Deer scores.....Whos kidding themselves?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Kaiser878, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would be of value if you would have provided some screen shots of these deer you believe to be grossly over scored. What they believe they will score and your estimate. I've never been bothered by this on BHOD and I am usually the first one to call BS. :)

2. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This thread hurts my feelings please remove it or I will protest :bow: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bow:
    Come on guys suck it up and let people have an opinion.
    Here is one for ya to jump all over Real tree outdoors Bill Jordan shoots a nice buck clearly in the spine they cut the video and he turns and says he just made a great shot on a big buck
    ????????????
    I am more disappointed in that part of any show than misjudging the score of a rack.
    Or Jackie bushman show they show a guy take a frontal shot on a nice buck
    I can go on and on but you get my point

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  3. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Score doesn't mean a ton to me... Mainly because in my area a 130 class buck is a giant, we just don't have the genetics that some places have!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah baby g1 is hard to guess on. Last year he's sheds grossed 155. My neighbor found them and had them offically scored at the deer classic. I've only seen them once and thought maybe 150. This year I was thinking he grew at least 15 -25 inches. Maybe more with the palmated main beams. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] He's got lot more mass and way more points. I've seen him 5 or 6 times from the truck and thought he could hit 180, but Hard to say with a palmated rack and 16 points. Some pics he looks 145 and some he looks 180. Depends on angle and of course how much velvet he'll strip of in the next few days.

Didn't know it was a huge deal to make an educated guess on a live velvet deer picture.

I could understand if I was sitting behind him dead and said he scored 200 inches. Measuring him with a yard stick maybe. Lol

As far as early bird. Last year he scored 165 as a 5 by 6.
    He's a 7 by 5 this year and quite a bit bigger.

I always say I'm within 10-15 inches on velvet pics. Usually not wrong with that assumption.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well there you go making fraudulent claims that offend me because you can't officially score sheds off the skullcap because the width is unverifiable. If you are going to persist in these kinds of fraudulent and unsubstantiated claims, I'm afraid I'll have to resort to another raving rant that will be tantamount to pissing and moaning over nothing.

...and I'll stop watching the show.
    so there.:p

6. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for responding. I don't know you, and it wasn't a personal attack. Ill be honest, it was more of a combination of TV shows that started my rant, the latest episode of BHOD just finished me off... I guess I was most irritated because I have turned to Webisode deer hunting shows because I feel they are more realistic. So I was just more dissipointed. In no ay am I saying your deer are amall. You have some dandies anyone would be thrilled to kill.

I will say, the pictures you just posted are a lot more appealing that the one u showed on the episode.on the episode the pictures you presented he looked like 145, here he looks like he is pushing 155-160.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  7. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just telling you what the neighbor told me. And I said they didn't look that big to me.

And yeah that's a good point. evidently he lied to me about it and I never even thought about it. I only seen them one time last spring at the gas station.

He's been known to lie to me before so god only knows what they really were.

Chances are his outfitter scored them and said it's offical. Lol

8. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah pics are hard to judge when they're abnormal. It's always easier to judge on the hoof.

I hate doing hitlist for this fact. Plus I think it just jinx me. Seems like I never kill a hitlist deer. Lol

I'm just going to shoot at the first big old mature deer I see whether he's 130 or 190. Lol

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    It's easy to get guesstimate scores off but I asssure you its not intentional! Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry I got the age way off my Buck season 4 episode 22 if that bothers you to he ended up being 7 instead of 4. Neighbor property owners had tons of pics of him over the years and were trying to kill him. He is just a heavy 130 buck, again welcome to the forums!

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  11. T FERG

T FERG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    dont hate the player hate the game i guess, if you throw and age or antler score out there somebody is guna get all butt hurt

12. JDouin

JDouin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I find it safer to just refer to them as mature, and deer that I'd like to shoot, rather than attach scores and ages to them. Trail cam pics are oddly deceiving sometimes, and velvet obviously doesn't help matters. I have learned though, then when talking scores, it's best to be conservative unless you have the antlers in your hand. Seems to hold more credibility when you kill a deer and he's 5 or 10" larger than you told everyone.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    After re-reading this all....I think this was a hidden brag post for the OP to post up harvest photos :) bahaha!

14. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We all get excited in the heat of the moment as Justin so kindly commented on the previous post about my measuring skills, I don't give a damn what he scores to be honest every time I see a "shooter" walking in he looks like a Boone and Crockett deer to me anyways. I guess it's just human nature we seem to get so worked up in the Moment and they always seem to be so Much bigger on the hoof then they are when I walk up on them. Shoot what ever makes you happy don't let this show or anyone on this forum ever dictate what you should be harvesting. If you Get excited when the animal approaches let it rip. I will admit I can't
    Judge them on the hoof to save my Life I've been wrong many a times they all get me excited and They all look huge to me. Truth be told I get just as excited shooting a doe as a I do shooting a buck and when that feeling fades away I guess I will have to take up a new hobby.

15. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Nicely said ****ies tunes! Good luck to the Illinois opener tomorrow baby!

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Amen ****ie! Hunting is 100% a personal thing, the only ones wrong when a buck is harvested are the ones ripping the person!

17. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well said ****ie! :tu:

18. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good to see you over here Zach! As for the scoring mishaps I can understand how excitement in the moment of the hunt and the pressure a tv shows feel the need to one-up each other could be. I'm the type though that if you are wrong, admit you are wrong and if you killed that "booner" as you exclaim it on your video and it isn't even close you better take the time at the end of the show and give us a green score. Don't leave everyone thinking a 140" deer is actually a B/C buck as people who actually know what they are doing will call you out on it.

To me quality of the shows on TV these days have really suffered. Now it's one outtake after another of equipment over and over again and then the one-upping I mentioned before. I understand it pays the bills for some of these people which would make you think they would 'hear' what is being said about them and make the changes necessary to go from a hack wanna-be to a show that is well respected.