Official Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by srtiek, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, how's it gong? I'm frommwashington county Tennessee, hunting Johnson and Piney Flats mainly both private.

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!

3. Rightwing

Rightwing Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy, welcome aboard.

4. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in north Alabama, but after talking to some friends in tenn, I'm starting to look at land up around hunt land, no farther north than the Lynchburg area. Is it true that there are more deer per square mile than in Alabama? And how's the turkey hunting?

5. MassBowHunter

MassBowHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What's up guys? I know that I live in Mass at the moment but I grew up in Kingsport, TN so I still consider myself "from" there. How are y'all doing down there? season just opened up here in MA I have had two sits and seen one doe that didn't offer a shot. Man do I miss it down there. good luck to all

6. REALTREE24

REALTREE24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Union co tn hunt Union Knox and Grainger co's and usually take a few trips up to fort Campbell every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think we have more deer per square mile than the Bama Boys do. I'm in Tullahoma (12 miles from Lynchburg) and I used to hunt with some kinfolks from the Hartselle AL area. They always seemed to like it up here but it's not a real trophy buck area, just lots of deer. As for turkey, we have to kick them out of the way so we can shoot the deer! :moose:

9. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    The deer get bigger in Eastern TN, just not a many as middle TN has. I enjoy hunting Middle TN much better...lol.

10. Barnett

Barnett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You guys have a good season? I live in Tipton county!

11. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    It was a decent one I guess. Didn't see as many bucks as I wanted too. Funny, my last name is Barnett.

12. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sullivan County Tennessee here. Anyone know of any good places to hunt/lease?

13. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, another year Tennessee. What is everyone's take on the number of bucks you can take this year? I only hunt public land, except for one private property that is not real big. I will be moving around real good this year. I have around 4 good areas I am going to hit. How about everyone else? How many 'sweet' spots do you have? Also, what do y'all think about the increase of the licenses this year? Good luck to everyone. Hopefully get some Tennesseans with some pics on here with your archery deer.

14. T-Mill

T-Mill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any good public land in Tennessee near Nashville to hunt? I live in Nashville, but I do all of my hunting back home in KY.

15. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a complete fan of dropping the buck limit from 3 to 2. I would love to even see it go to one!

Now this is just my opinion but here it goes.

Tennessee can grow some great bucks if they can get some age on them. The problem isn't completely the buck bag limit. Although it's a big part, I think our biggest problem is our crazy long gun seasons (muzzleloader/rifle). Muzzleloader season comes in the first week of November and from then until January, you can hunt with a gun. In most of your big buck states, gun season is very condensed and it's not smack dab in the middle of prime time. Take the gun seasons and have them start around thanksgiving or December 1st. The difference in quality deer would dramatically improve.

Also, as far as antler less goes, we need to simplify things. Instead of being able to kill 4 during archery, 1 during muzzleloader, etc, they need to just say you can kill 5 does (or whatever number) and you can kill them whenever you want.

Just my opinion!

16. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with you Matt. The gun season here is way too long. Where I am from, (Michigan) the gun season is only 2 weeks. I don't like the dates, as they coincide with the rut, but it is only for two weeks. Tennessee is more than capable of producing some decent bucks.

17. quadlee

quadlee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wished we would have went to only 1 buck. yes the gun seasons are way to long, I do not think you should be able to carry a gun into the woods to Dec 1st

18. Barnett

Barnett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Finally some body agrees that gun season is too long! I wonder if there is anything we can do to try to get that changed? Anyone know how to get that ball rolling? Sadly, I have to hunt this season with a rifle only but next year its back to bow for me!

19. quadlee

quadlee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was checked bye the game warden last saturday while squierrel hunting, he said that he thought it was to long as well, said that he dont know if it will ever get reduced or not, but he could see in the future more WMAs reducing gun season, but more than likely private land will stay the same

20. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This season has been terrible for me I have not seen any deer while on stand yet.I'm hunting public lands and they have produced in the past.I'm stumped